Peace Corps

2.8

Regional Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interviewed with two people. Could correctly anticipate questions based on responsibilities of the position - recruiting, public speaking, interviewing.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2008.

Asked me lots of questions from describing myself, how I cope with change, how I would handle certain situations. They wanted to make sure I was "flexible". The interviewer took lots of notes during the interview, which was about 3 hours long. At the end I was asked if I had any questions. I had several. The interviewer said she liked that I had questions prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to work and live in a country in which women have no rights?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2009.

Online application with recommendations and essays, in person interview with recruiter, nomination via phone, medical & background check, invitation

None.

Regional Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg (Russia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg (Russia)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in June 2008.

The hiring process is somewhat lengthy. It involves a resume screen through a government portal. There are multiple KSA's (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) questions that required detailed responses. The application itself is much more than a resume, it's a deep dive into your background and experience. Be prepared.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe what I thought made me a good recruiter, though I had never been a recruiter before. I also hadn't spoken much English in the two years prior, so the 5 interviews were somewhat difficult, especially since they were by telephone from 6000 miles away. The questions as a whole were fair, having to do with motivation, commitment, my own experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer, and how I envisioned the job after having read the job description and spoken with a few people along the way.   Answer Question
    It was conducted by a Human Resources Generalist who sat in the HQ in DC. The position was based in Dallas and I had never spoken to this person before. They had not heard any information about my candidacy so the formula for my salary was based solely off of my prior experience and not what I had to offer the role. It was difficult to convey this information in the 10 minute call that was scheduled, so that was a little frustrating.

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps in May 2010.

I attended an end of the year job fair at my school. My skillset is rather specific and I am going into a nontraditional industry for people with my degree. The recruiter that I spoke to was very excited about my resume and immediately wanted to interview me that afternoon. This was despite the fact that his was one of the few tables that specifically stated that they were not interviewing.

The interview went well and turned immediately into a conversation about life rather than a formal interview. Unfortunately, after an hour, we were interrupted by someone that we had gone overtime and the room was needed.

The position is setting up the marketing department at a midsized company. When we were interrupted, it became apparent that the role is a temporary issue and that the company doesn't have a set career plan for the position.

2 weeks later, I interviewed with the CEO over the phone and it also turned into a conversation. Some of my questions about the position were clarified and I was asked to turn in writing samples on the spot (without warning).

3 weeks later, the CEO contacted me to interview with the Sales Director in person on the same day. This interview was a bit more awkward since neither of us knew what we were going to talk about and the Director didn't have my resume or know about me.

2 weeks have passed and I followed up on the position. They responded that they have been too busy to make a decision or review my materials.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see our product as being specifically applicable to other industries?   View Answer

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in May 2008.

Peace Corps has a structured recruitment and interview process, information on which can be accessed through their website. It's important to be very honest with yourself and the interviewer about your background, future goals, perceptions of personal strengths and limitations, because they will ultimately impact your location of service.

Interview Questions
    • What personal relationships do you consider the most important to you right now, and how do you plan on maintaining them over long distances and periods of separation while you are serving as a volunteer?   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Inefficient interview process, difficult to submit requested additional information due to government bureaucracy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
    • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2010.

Interview process was for them to learn more about you and how you can handle cultural changes.

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview was more behavioral than skills based. Peace Corps has a number of candidates that fit their skills needs, what they need is, "Are you going to last two years?" and will you fit the "Peace Corps Corps Values?" Research behavioral questions online and practice your responses, also explain in how previous experience in the field or job matches.