Peace Corps

61 candidate interviews

Regional Recruiter Interview

Regional Recruiter
Saint Petersburg (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 3+ months - interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring process is somewhat lengthy. It involves a resume screen through a government portal. There are multiple KSA's (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities) questions that required detailed responses. The application itself is much more than a resume, it's a deep dive into your background and experience. Be prepared.

Interview Question – I was asked to describe what I thought made me a good recruiter, though I had never been a recruiter before. I also hadn't spoken much English in the two years prior, so the 5 interviews were somewhat difficult, especially since they were by telephone from 6000 miles away. The questions as a whole were fair, having to do with motivation, commitment, my own experience as a Peace Corps Volunteer, and how I envisioned the job after having read the job description and spoken with a few people along the way.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was conducted by a Human Resources Generalist who sat in the HQ in DC. The position was based in Dallas and I had never spoken to this person before. They had not heard any information about my candidacy so the formula for my salary was based solely off of my prior experience and not what I had to offer the role. It was difficult to convey this information in the 10 minute call that was scheduled, so that was a little frustrating.

Marketing Consultant Interview

Marketing Consultant
Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2010.

Interview Details – I attended an end of the year job fair at my school. My skillset is rather specific and I am going into a nontraditional industry for people with my degree. The recruiter that I spoke to was very excited about my resume and immediately wanted to interview me that afternoon. This was despite the fact that his was one of the few tables that specifically stated that they were not interviewing.

The interview went well and turned immediately into a conversation about life rather than a formal interview. Unfortunately, after an hour, we were interrupted by someone that we had gone overtime and the room was needed.

The position is setting up the marketing department at a midsized company. When we were interrupted, it became apparent that the role is a temporary issue and that the company doesn't have a set career plan for the position.

2 weeks later, I interviewed with the CEO over the phone and it also turned into a conversation. Some of my questions about the position were clarified and I was asked to turn in writing samples on the spot (without warning).

3 weeks later, the CEO contacted me to interview with the Sales Director in person on the same day. This interview was a bit more awkward since neither of us knew what we were going to talk about and the Director didn't have my resume or know about me.

2 weeks have passed and I followed up on the position. They responded that they have been too busy to make a decision or review my materials.

Interview Question – Where do you see our product as being specifically applicable to other industries?   View Answer

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2008.

Interview Details – Peace Corps has a structured recruitment and interview process, information on which can be accessed through their website. It's important to be very honest with yourself and the interviewer about your background, future goals, perceptions of personal strengths and limitations, because they will ultimately impact your location of service.

Interview Question – What personal relationships do you consider the most important to you right now, and how do you plan on maintaining them over long distances and periods of separation while you are serving as a volunteer?   Answer Question

Communications Interview

Communications
Washington, DC

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Interview Details – Inefficient interview process, difficult to submit requested additional information due to government bureaucracy.

Interview Question – How well can you handle difficult clients?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
  • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was for them to learn more about you and how you can handle cultural changes.

Interview Question – How will you address cultural barriers?   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2013.

Interview Details – You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Question – In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Regional Recruiter Interview

Regional Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – Situational interview.

Interview Question – How would you respond to someone who asks if Peace Corps is dangerous?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Federal salaries are nonn-negotiable unless you've previously held a federal position at a higher pay rate.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

Interview Details – -Submit online app
-Do onsite interview
-App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
-Do medical & admin paperwork
-Contacted from placement desk
-Final placement interview
-Invitation issued

Interview Question – Interview was straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.