Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015
Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.8

Community Health Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Basic standard questions about past international experiences, educational background, interpersonal skills, and scenarios you would encounter at your site. Very much a conversation and the recruiter does a great job easing you into the convo.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with conflicts that may arise in your organization i.e. witnessing corruption or theft within the staff?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

Very Standard
    interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times
    It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions

• Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions

• In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps (San Francisco, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Long application to fill out online. Then there are face to face interviews where answers are copied down meticulously. If you get through that process you have a long list of medical examinations. Then if your site gets rescheduled you may have to have another interview over the phone.

Interview Questions

• What life experiences have prepared you for experiences in Africa?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is none... You get paid very little. It's about the experience.

Peace Corps Medical Officer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Transparent and well organized. Reference from DOS very useful- I worked as locum tenens doctor at the US Embassy. Had several visits at the clinic I worked from DOS, area PCMO from Senegal, PC NP from local post. The whole process was compressed in 3 days but spread out over a period of more than 6 months.

Interview Questions

• About past medical procedures.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Brief, salary had fixed rates, benefits on the other hand where flexible.

Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in March 2011.

Interview

The medical review was the most difficult part of the process. I mentioned a very minor allergy and that required a written follow up etc. Keep it simple and include things from your documented medical record

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know what I would do in my idle time. Exercise isn't necessarily the best answer because in many countries (particularly if you are a woman) that option may not be available to you - ie running in public could be taboo. Its worth really considering this question and reflecting upon what you turn to as a coping mechanism   Answer Question

Negotiation

You have 7 days to reject or accept your country assignment. It was a difficult choice for me but ultimately I accepted

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps (Cotonou (Benin)) in August 2010.

Interview

Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Questions

• Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question