Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions

• A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions

• In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Department: Director of Programming and Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

Apply on line - process takes 2-6 months. Security background check takes av. 6 weeks additional.

Interview Questions

• Hiring is often done by the Country Director of the post in question - they may involve some members of their staff in the telephone interview. There tend to be many "scenario" questions - usually about three.   Answer Question

Country Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC).

Interview

The hiring process included an initial panel interview including potential colleagues and a final interview with the Regional Director and the Chief of Operations

Interview Questions

• The questions were largely situational. For example, the interviewer presents you with a possible situation and you have to discuss how you would respond.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Brief. It was an entry level job and I accepted the salary offered.

Regional Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Minneapolis, MN).

Interview

Interviewed with two people. Could correctly anticipate questions based on responsibilities of the position - recruiting, public speaking, interviewing.

Health Extension Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps (Wilmington, NC) in September 2012.

Interview

The process was very long, and had many steps. Mine took more than 18 month from the time that i applied to the time that I was invited to serve in a country. However, the process is now much shorter and easier to navigate. Most of it is paperwork that you have to submit by certain times. The in-person interviews were quite relaxed. It was mostly them assessing to see what your goals were and why you wanted to join PC. Also, they ask questions to ascertain that you creative, flexible and open enough to live and work in a whole new country. If this is your passion, it will be a breeze, but if you are not sure, I would advice talking to someone who has volunteered or worked abroad to see what they found to be challenging, exciting and so on before your interviews.

Interview Questions

• what do you think will be the biggest challenge living and working in a new country, and how will you deal with it?   1 Answer

Press Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in February 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty slow due to the processing time it takes for background checks and paperwork. I had one 30 minute in-person interview and felt comfortable even though I did not bring much previous experience. The staff was welcoming and flexible with my schedule. It took a few weeks to complete all the background paperwork but from there it was smooth sailing.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps and how will this internship help you in your career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Saint Paul, MN) in January 2012.

Interview

I had a formal, but not overly intense interview with a Peace Corp recruiter. She asked about my general background and public service experience. She seemed to be getting to know me in order to find a placement where I would be an effective volunteer. She asked about my knowledge of the Peace Corps and the Peace Corps work, both of which anyone who is applying for Peace Corps should know ahead of time.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked with individuals of different ethnic backgrounds before? How did it go?   1 Answer

Teacher Collaboration and Community Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Applied online, received notification a month later that I'd been invited to an interview with a recruiter. The interview was very low key, albeit professional. My recruiter was very easy to talk to, happy to share her own experiences. It felt like more of a conversation than an interview.

Interview Questions

• What motivated you to apply for Peace Corps? Questions about level of commitment to service, etc
      Describe a time when you demonstrated leadership.
      Describe an experience working with somebody who was different from you.
      How do you manage stress? How do you manage boredom? How do you deal with ambiguity and an unstructured work environment?
      Describe a time you had trouble following a rule.
      Talk about a time when you had to work through a conflict. How did you do it? Were you successful? If not, what did you do?

Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Peace Corps (Washington, DC) in November 2011.

Interview

Thorough and enjoyable (as much as an interview can be "enjoyable!"). They asked comprehensive questions, and gave me a clear picture of what has proven to be an excellent job.

Interview Questions

• I do not remember any such questions; at the time, there were not knowledge-quiz style questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Federal position, no "negotiation" per se. I am happy with my salary.