Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

2.8

Country Desk Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps.

The hiring process included an initial panel interview including potential colleagues and a final interview with the Regional Director and the Chief of Operations

Interview Questions
    • The questions were largely situational. For example, the interviewer presents you with a possible situation and you have to discuss how you would respond.   Answer Question
    Brief. It was an entry level job and I accepted the salary offered.

Regional Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interviewed with two people. Could correctly anticipate questions based on responsibilities of the position - recruiting, public speaking, interviewing.

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in November 2011.

Thorough and enjoyable (as much as an interview can be "enjoyable!"). They asked comprehensive questions, and gave me a clear picture of what has proven to be an excellent job.

Interview Questions
    • I do not remember any such questions; at the time, there were not knowledge-quiz style questions.   Answer Question
    Federal position, no "negotiation" per se. I am happy with my salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Bend, IN

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in March 2011.

The interview was very informal done by a returned Peace Corps volunteer. The questions were general and meant basically to gauge if you are a good fit for the organization/mission rather than about your technical skills. The interviewer is also trying to help match you for programs (locations, organizations..) - ie where you would be a good fit.

Interview Questions
    • Are you flexible and willing to go anywhere? Or do you have your heart set on one location?   View Answer

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2011.

After completing an online application form, complete with essays and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will be contacted by a recruiter who will schedule an in-person interview. Should the recruiter approve the applicant, they will be nominated for a global region and sector. While awaiting an invitation to join a specific country and program as pertains to their nomination, the nominee must complete extensive medical examinations (for which they will be nominally reimbursed). Upon receiving an invitation, the nominee will have 10 days in which to decide whether or not they will accept.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge you have faced in your work life and the strategies you employed while striving to overcome it.   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2011.

There was only one interview with a recruiter who had been a volunteer in West Africa previously. The interview lasted about 40 minutes, and there was plenty of opportunity to ask questions about possible work sites. I was rated as a health volunteer based on my education, so there were opportunities all over the world in health work.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you want to live, and will you accept an assignment i the tropics? I did not want to live in the tropics again due to excessive heat and humidity - I wanted a new experience - but I said yes.   View Answer
    I was given the choice between going to Benin or Uganda, and I asked to see the job descriptions for both. Once we received our invitation, we had only 4 days to accept the offer, and we knew if we did not accept, there would not be another offer! Peace Corps has changed its procedures recently, so applicants have more choice in accepting or rejecting offers now, I believe.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Peace Corps Volunteers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview was long due to questions and placement (decision was essentially made that day). Interviewer had taken his position after returning from PC service and also participating in on campus recruiting events - made me feel comfortable and at ease. Waiting 8 months to get my invitation letter to leave just 2 months later.

Interview Questions
    • How I would deal with feeling isolated   View Answer
    Recommended for Spanish speaking country and Community Health - felt I had little flexibility to ask for Africa region.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

-Submit online app
    -Do onsite interview
    -App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
    -Do medical & admin paperwork
    -Contacted from placement desk
    -Final placement interview
    -Invitation issued

Interview Questions
    No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Country Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

This is a government agency and the hiring process is lengthy for overseas jobs. Once you get to the interview stage, though, Peace Corps' core values come through at every stage. They are genuinely nice people! Once you successfully complete the interview process, your name goes on a roster of eligible candidates and you wait for an opening to come up that fits your qualifications. It was about 15 months end to end.

Interview Questions
    • A scenario posed by the director of the agency about volunteer support.   Answer Question
    Short. There is very little negotiation.