Peace Corps

Relevance Date Difficulty

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer
Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2008.

Interview Details – Peace Corps has a structured recruitment and interview process, information on which can be accessed through their website. It's important to be very honest with yourself and the interviewer about your background, future goals, perceptions of personal strengths and limitations, because they will ultimately impact your location of service.

Interview Question – What personal relationships do you consider the most important to you right now, and how do you plan on maintaining them over long distances and periods of separation while you are serving as a volunteer?   Answer Question

Marketing Consultant Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2010.

Interview Details – I attended an end of the year job fair at my school. My skillset is rather specific and I am going into a nontraditional industry for people with my degree. The recruiter that I spoke to was very excited about my resume and immediately wanted to interview me that afternoon. This was despite the fact that his was one of the few tables that specifically stated that they were not interviewing.

The interview went well and turned immediately into a conversation about life rather than a formal interview. Unfortunately, after an hour, we were interrupted by someone that we had gone overtime and the room was needed.

The position is setting up the marketing department at a midsized company. When we were interrupted, it became apparent that the role is a temporary issue and that the company doesn't have a set career plan for the position.

2 weeks later, I interviewed with the CEO over the phone and it also turned into a conversation. Some of my questions about the position were clarified and I was asked to turn in writing samples on the spot (without warning).

3 weeks later, the CEO contacted me to interview with the Sales Director in person on the same day. This interview was a bit more awkward since neither of us knew what we were going to talk about and the Director didn't have my resume or know about me.

2 weeks have passed and I followed up on the position. They responded that they have been too busy to make a decision or review my materials.

Interview Question – Where do you see our product as being specifically applicable to other industries?   View Answer

Administrative Officer Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2009.

Interview Details – I received an email and phone call requesting an interview within 2 days. The interview was standardized and the panel took notes of my answers. It was very formal and seemed as if they had already hired someone or were just going through the motions. There was no conversation- probably the strangest interview I've had.

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Interview Question – Can you handle sexual harassment?   View Answer

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Question – How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Technical Trainer Interview

Technical Trainer
Kingston (Jamaica)

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Interview Details – Very transparent advertising process for the job. The application process is very specific . Long application that must be tailored to the knowledge , skills and abilities (KSA's) of peace corps . Interviewing is by panel, there is a point scoring method. The process is explained at the beginning of interview . Members of the panel take turns . Interview may take up to 1hour. Friendly staff , work environment is not very intense, maybe because its bit about meeting monetary deadlines. I have heard of culture clashes between interviewers and my colleagues( Americans and locals ) but nothing major.

Interview Question – Make a presentation to the panel on an area which you might be presenting on to volunteers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's a non-negotiable offer . Salary was already stated in job advert .

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Question – They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peace Corps