Peace Corps Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.7

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview. The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?" About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back. Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 10+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Miami, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions

• In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

-Submit online app -Do onsite interview -App gets forwarded to PC headquarters -Do medical & admin paperwork -Contacted from placement desk -Final placement interview -Invitation issued

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peace Corps (El Segundo, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

Interview

After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cotonou (Benin)

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Cotonou (Benin)) in August 2010.

Interview

Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Questions

• Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview

Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance. Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype. Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability. The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.