Peace Corps

62 candidate interviews

IT Specialist Interview

IT Specialist
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2011.

Interview Details – Thorough and enjoyable (as much as an interview can be "enjoyable!"). They asked comprehensive questions, and gave me a clear picture of what has proven to be an excellent job.

Interview Question – I do not remember any such questions; at the time, there were not knowledge-quiz style questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Federal position, no "negotiation" per se. I am happy with my salary.

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Question – Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

Interview Details – The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
  • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2011.

Interview Details – The medical review was the most difficult part of the process. I mentioned a very minor allergy and that required a written follow up etc. Keep it simple and include things from your documented medical record

Interview Question – They wanted to know what I would do in my idle time. Exercise isn't necessarily the best answer because in many countries (particularly if you are a woman) that option may not be available to you - ie running in public could be taboo. Its worth really considering this question and reflecting upon what you turn to as a coping mechanism   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You have 7 days to reject or accept your country assignment. It was a difficult choice for me but ultimately I accepted

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent Interview

Sustainable Agriculture Extension Agent

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – You fill out the application online and then you do an in-person interview at one the Peace Corps regional offices. If all your medical paperwork clears, you'll be offered a position.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you were placed in a new environment- what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2011.

Interview Details – After completing an online application form, complete with essays and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will be contacted by a recruiter who will schedule an in-person interview. Should the recruiter approve the applicant, they will be nominated for a global region and sector. While awaiting an invitation to join a specific country and program as pertains to their nomination, the nominee must complete extensive medical examinations (for which they will be nominally reimbursed). Upon receiving an invitation, the nominee will have 10 days in which to decide whether or not they will accept.

Interview Question – Describe a challenge you have faced in your work life and the strategies you employed while striving to overcome it.   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Question – The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details – Process can take up to a year as there are several steps that need to be completed. First, the application. It felt more like applying to a University than a job. Submitted resume, references, and letter of interest. Second, phone interview followed by 1 to 1 with local recruiter. Third, letter of acceptance. Fourth, completing a thorough security and medical background check (must pass to move forward). Fifth, country placement. Interviews are not difficult but you have to patience with the processing time.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience dealing with cultural differences and what was your reaction?   Answer Question
  • What do you enjoy doing alone? How would you handle feeling isolated or alone while living in a foreign country?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the only thing that can possibly be negotiated is the country of service. Doing this can place limitations on when you start and what you will do. The more open you are to placement, the quicker you start. I said I didn't want to serve in very cold regions and I ended in the South Pacific Islands.