Peace Corps

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
61 candidate interviews

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Question – Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

Interview Details – The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2013.

Interview Details – You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Question – In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was for them to learn more about you and how you can handle cultural changes.

Interview Question – How will you address cultural barriers?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details – Process can take up to a year as there are several steps that need to be completed. First, the application. It felt more like applying to a University than a job. Submitted resume, references, and letter of interest. Second, phone interview followed by 1 to 1 with local recruiter. Third, letter of acceptance. Fourth, completing a thorough security and medical background check (must pass to move forward). Fifth, country placement. Interviews are not difficult but you have to patience with the processing time.

Interview Questions

• Talk about an experience dealing with cultural differences and what was your reaction?   Answer Question
  • What do you enjoy doing alone? How would you handle feeling isolated or alone while living in a foreign country?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – the only thing that can possibly be negotiated is the country of service. Doing this can place limitations on when you start and what you will do. The more open you are to placement, the quicker you start. I said I didn't want to serve in very cold regions and I ended in the South Pacific Islands.

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

Interview Details – You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer

Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Question – The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Question – Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question