Peace Corps

Getting the Interview

52 candidate interviews

Public Health Volunteer Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – After attending several recruiting events, I completed an online application. I was then contacted by a regional recruiter, who I interviewed with in person. The recruiter helped me to determine what type of volunteer I should be given my education and background, and approved my application for placement. I then waited several weeks to hear from PCHQ--I received my invitation a month before I departed.

Interview Question – How will you deal with the stress of cultural challenges and the difficulty of the Peace Corps lifestyle?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Question – They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Question – Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

IT Specialist Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2011.

Interview Details – Thorough and enjoyable (as much as an interview can be "enjoyable!"). They asked comprehensive questions, and gave me a clear picture of what has proven to be an excellent job.

Interview Question – I do not remember any such questions; at the time, there were not knowledge-quiz style questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Federal position, no "negotiation" per se. I am happy with my salary.

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Regional Recruiter Interview

Regional Recruiter

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – Situational interview.

Interview Question – How would you respond to someone who asks if Peace Corps is dangerous?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Federal salaries are nonn-negotiable unless you've previously held a federal position at a higher pay rate.

Marketing Consultant Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2010.

Interview Details – I attended an end of the year job fair at my school. My skillset is rather specific and I am going into a nontraditional industry for people with my degree. The recruiter that I spoke to was very excited about my resume and immediately wanted to interview me that afternoon. This was despite the fact that his was one of the few tables that specifically stated that they were not interviewing.

The interview went well and turned immediately into a conversation about life rather than a formal interview. Unfortunately, after an hour, we were interrupted by someone that we had gone overtime and the room was needed.

The position is setting up the marketing department at a midsized company. When we were interrupted, it became apparent that the role is a temporary issue and that the company doesn't have a set career plan for the position.

2 weeks later, I interviewed with the CEO over the phone and it also turned into a conversation. Some of my questions about the position were clarified and I was asked to turn in writing samples on the spot (without warning).

3 weeks later, the CEO contacted me to interview with the Sales Director in person on the same day. This interview was a bit more awkward since neither of us knew what we were going to talk about and the Director didn't have my resume or know about me.

2 weeks have passed and I followed up on the position. They responded that they have been too busy to make a decision or review my materials.

Interview Question – Where do you see our product as being specifically applicable to other industries?   View Answer

Communications Interview

Washington, DC

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Interview Details – Inefficient interview process, difficult to submit requested additional information due to government bureaucracy.

Interview Question – How well can you handle difficult clients?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview process was for them to learn more about you and how you can handle cultural changes.

Interview Question – How will you address cultural barriers?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

The process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
  • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peace Corps