Peace Corps

Updated Dec 2, 2014
Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.8

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

The Peace Corps Response interview process was smooth and quick. Since Response is for people who have already served I think the recruiter assumes you already have an idea of what to expect. I applied on a Friday and the following week I was contacted to set up a phone interview. The experience can vary depending on the recruiter but my experience was fast and easy. From the time I applied to the day I left was less than three months.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was relaxed and conversational and there weren't any surprising questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer

Marketing Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps in May 2010.

I attended an end of the year job fair at my school. My skillset is rather specific and I am going into a nontraditional industry for people with my degree. The recruiter that I spoke to was very excited about my resume and immediately wanted to interview me that afternoon. This was despite the fact that his was one of the few tables that specifically stated that they were not interviewing.

The interview went well and turned immediately into a conversation about life rather than a formal interview. Unfortunately, after an hour, we were interrupted by someone that we had gone overtime and the room was needed.

The position is setting up the marketing department at a midsized company. When we were interrupted, it became apparent that the role is a temporary issue and that the company doesn't have a set career plan for the position.

2 weeks later, I interviewed with the CEO over the phone and it also turned into a conversation. Some of my questions about the position were clarified and I was asked to turn in writing samples on the spot (without warning).

3 weeks later, the CEO contacted me to interview with the Sales Director in person on the same day. This interview was a bit more awkward since neither of us knew what we were going to talk about and the Director didn't have my resume or know about me.

2 weeks have passed and I followed up on the position. They responded that they have been too busy to make a decision or review my materials.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see our product as being specifically applicable to other industries?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer
    Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Questions
    • If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.