Peace Corps

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.8

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in June 2009.

I received an email and phone call requesting an interview within 2 days. The interview was standardized and the panel took notes of my answers. It was very formal and seemed as if they had already hired someone or were just going through the motions. There was no conversation- probably the strangest interview I've had.

Volunteer Interview

interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   View Answer

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Inefficient interview process, difficult to submit requested additional information due to government bureaucracy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

1 on 1 interview followed by medical/background check, recruited from a Non-profit fair

Interview Questions
    • What will you do when there is nothing to do?   View Answer
    No negotiation. You must be willing to serve where they ask you to serve and accept all the hardships associated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2009.

Online application with recommendations and essays, in person interview with recruiter, nomination via phone, medical & background check, invitation

None.

Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in May 2008.

Peace Corps has a structured recruitment and interview process, information on which can be accessed through their website. It's important to be very honest with yourself and the interviewer about your background, future goals, perceptions of personal strengths and limitations, because they will ultimately impact your location of service.

Interview Questions
    • What personal relationships do you consider the most important to you right now, and how do you plan on maintaining them over long distances and periods of separation while you are serving as a volunteer?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Peace Corps Response Volunteer Interview

The Peace Corps Response interview process was smooth and quick. Since Response is for people who have already served I think the recruiter assumes you already have an idea of what to expect. I applied on a Friday and the following week I was contacted to set up a phone interview. The experience can vary depending on the recruiter but my experience was fast and easy. From the time I applied to the day I left was less than three months.

Interview Questions
    • The phone interview was relaxed and conversational and there weren't any surprising questions.   Answer Question