Peace Corps

Average Difficulty
61 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Medical Officer Interview

Peace Corps Medical Officer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – Transparent and well organized. Reference from DOS very useful- I worked as locum tenens doctor at the US Embassy. Had several visits at the clinic I worked from DOS, area PCMO from Senegal, PC NP from local post. The whole process was compressed in 3 days but spread out over a period of more than 6 months.

Interview Question – About past medical procedures.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Brief, salary had fixed rates, benefits on the other hand where flexible.

Volunteer Interview

Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2011.

Interview Details – The medical review was the most difficult part of the process. I mentioned a very minor allergy and that required a written follow up etc. Keep it simple and include things from your documented medical record

Interview Question – They wanted to know what I would do in my idle time. Exercise isn't necessarily the best answer because in many countries (particularly if you are a woman) that option may not be available to you - ie running in public could be taboo. Its worth really considering this question and reflecting upon what you turn to as a coping mechanism   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You have 7 days to reject or accept your country assignment. It was a difficult choice for me but ultimately I accepted

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Interview Question – Can you handle sexual harassment?   View Answer

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Question – How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Technical Trainer Interview

Technical Trainer
Kingston (Jamaica)

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Interview Details – Very transparent advertising process for the job. The application process is very specific . Long application that must be tailored to the knowledge , skills and abilities (KSA's) of peace corps . Interviewing is by panel, there is a point scoring method. The process is explained at the beginning of interview . Members of the panel take turns . Interview may take up to 1hour. Friendly staff , work environment is not very intense, maybe because its bit about meeting monetary deadlines. I have heard of culture clashes between interviewers and my colleagues( Americans and locals ) but nothing major.

Interview Question – Make a presentation to the panel on an area which you might be presenting on to volunteers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It's a non-negotiable offer . Salary was already stated in job advert .

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Question – They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Question – None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question