Peace Corps

2.8

Agriculture Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2010.

Long application to fill out online. Then there are face to face interviews where answers are copied down meticulously. If you get through that process you have a long list of medical examinations. Then if your site gets rescheduled you may have to have another interview over the phone.

Interview Questions
    • What life experiences have prepared you for experiences in Africa?   Answer Question
    There is none... You get paid very little. It's about the experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2010.

It used to be an extremely long process (it took me over two years between writing my initial application to becoming a Peace Corps Trainee), but that doesn't matter anymore because they streamlined the hiring process. Now it is much better, says my sister who works for Peace Corps.

You apply online, meet with a Peace Corps recruiter, complete an extremely in-depth medical check, and a clearance check. The medical check is the most cumbersome part (vision, dental, and more).

The actual interview is simple, they just want to see if you'd be fit.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to live in a country where women are very discriminated?Are you a vegetarian? Would you be willing to change that?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
    • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in June 2009.

I received an email and phone call requesting an interview within 2 days. The interview was standardized and the panel took notes of my answers. It was very formal and seemed as if they had already hired someone or were just going through the motions. There was no conversation- probably the strangest interview I've had.

Volunteer Interview

interviewed at Peace Corps in May 2009.

The interview was quite simple. I was asked questions about my past experience abroad, how I felt in cross-cultural settings, what program area I felt my skills were most suited to, and what challenges I anticipated as a volunteer. I got the feeling that it was unlikely I would say anything that would negatively affect my application. The recruiter was pleasant and the process was smooth. I went on to serve happily and successfully as a volunteer for three years.

However, I've since learned that the organization accepts pretty much everyone who can clear the lengthy medical screening process. The applicant/volunteer's actual ability to serve only becomes truly apparent once he or she is out in the field, and this ability is hard to accurately assess in a brief interview in the States.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about changing your manner of dress or self-presentation to better fit in with a local population? (I am a female, and at the time of my interview I had VERY short hair.)   View Answer

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2009.

Inefficient interview process, difficult to submit requested additional information due to government bureaucracy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

1 on 1 interview followed by medical/background check, recruited from a Non-profit fair

Interview Questions
    • What will you do when there is nothing to do?   View Answer
    No negotiation. You must be willing to serve where they ask you to serve and accept all the hardships associated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal