Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed as part of a couple so this may be different than other people's experiences. I was interviewed initially for 2 hours and then my partner was interviewed for 2 hours and we were interviewed for about 1 hour together. Overall the experience was pretty average in that they asked questions and we answered. The best part of the process, though, was talking to the recruiter about her experience as a volunteer. She shared with us about her time in Africa and was very candid about how challenging her experience was. I think most interviewers are returned volunteers so that helps.

Interview Questions

• Why Peace Corps?   Answer Question
  • What would you do if something happened to your partner and they needed to leave the country?   Answer Question
  • How would you feel about working with people who were very different than you?   Answer Question
  • Would you be comfortable working with people who have different values than you?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Chapel Hill, NC).

Interview

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions

• Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   1 Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions

• There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps (Spokane, WA).

Interview

My recruiter literally walked through the questions listed on the Peace Corps Wiki website, word for word. Since I had found the list of questions prior to my interview, I was able to prepare adequately. I highly recommend everyone checking out this website in preparation for your Peace Corps interview. Also, it's a very good list to help you mentally prepare for your service. The full list of questions can be found on the Peace Corps Wiki site under Interview Questions.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions

• All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or more. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

Was very laborious when I applied in 2007, but now it is automated and waaaaaaay easier. I believe now you can select where you want to serve and what type of project you are interested in.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of personal questions - relationship, drug/alcohol use, etc.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

online application, interview with recruiter who nominates you, extensive medical process, after completion you will get a invitation to a country. (this process has recently changed, you also now get to chose possible countries you want to go to)

Interview Questions

• What is a cultural difference you've experienced while living in the States?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Negotiation

Nonexistent

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Interview

Very Standard interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions

• Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question