Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions & Reviews

36 interviews

2.6

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Nonexistent

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Very Standard
    interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times
    It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions
    • Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 10 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2013.

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions
    • In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question
    There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6+ months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions
    • Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

-Submit online app
    -Do onsite interview
    -App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
    -Do medical & admin paperwork
    -Contacted from placement desk
    -Final placement interview
    -Invitation issued

Interview Questions
    No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!