Peace Corps

Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.6

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions
  • There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question
I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

My recruiter literally walked through the questions listed on the Peace Corps Wiki website, word for word. Since I had found the list of questions prior to my interview, I was able to prepare adequately. I highly recommend everyone checking out this website in preparation for your Peace Corps interview. Also, it's a very good list to help you mentally prepare for your service. The full list of questions can be found on the Peace Corps Wiki site under Interview Questions.

Interview Questions
    • Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer
    Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Was very laborious when I applied in 2007, but now it is automated and waaaaaaay easier. I believe now you can select where you want to serve and what type of project you are interested in.

Interview Questions
    • They ask a lot of personal questions - relationship, drug/alcohol use, etc.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

online application, interview with recruiter who nominates you, extensive medical process, after completion you will get a invitation to a country. (this process has recently changed, you also now get to chose possible countries you want to go to)

Interview Questions
    • What is a cultural difference you've experienced while living in the States?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Nonexistent

Very Standard
    interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times
    It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Questions
    • Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
    • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question