Peace Corps

Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.7

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I went through the process with the old system and have heard that it has changed significantly since, but my experience was pretty straightforward. I applied online, an interview was requested at the regional office, I had my interview and was told i would be nominated. We looked through the openings and didn't see one that matched my skills and experiences so we waited a few weeks. Finally, something came up that felt right so my interviewer (former PCV) nominated me for that program (it was very vague at that stage- sustainable agriculture volunteer in latin america), I began the paperwork (medical clearance, background check, etc) and had to wait a few months for all of that to get processed. Finally, after 6 months (I applied July 09)I was sent an invitation (December 09) to be a Sustainable Agribusiness Volunteer in Ecuador leaving February 2010.

Interview Questions
    • There were a lot of "how would you react in this situation" questions. The interviewers are all Returned Peace Corps Volunteers themselves so they have first hand knowledge of the experiences and what kind of person would make a good volunteer, so most of the questions are aimed at getting to the bottom of that aspect.   Answer Question
    I accepted the offer and packed my bags and left for 2.5 years a couple months later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chapel Hill, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After sending my application materials through the online platform, I was contacted about an on-campus interview with the university Peace Corps recruiter. She was a returned volunteer, and she was very helpful answering my questions with stories of her own during the interview. The questions she asked me were sometimes repetitive (e.g., describe hardest situation, describe situation that frustrated me, describe situation where I didn't think I'd succeed, etc.). Having served in the Peace Corps since the interview, I understand why these questions are necessary, but sometimes they made the interview difficult because I wanted to come up with new examples for each question. After the interview, Peace Corps has to analyze all of the application materials and the interview recommendations. That part of the process takes the longest amount of time. If you've had medical procedures, it'll probably take even longer. Then, you receive a packet in the mail that has all of the information in it--where you're going, what the country is like, what volunteers there do, what kind of volunteer you'll be, what to buy, when you'll leave, how to deal with culture shock, etc. From then, you'll have about a week to decide if you're going or not. I went. Greatest decision of my life.

Interview Questions
    • Has there ever been a time when you thought you should quit something?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Intense. Starts with a written application. Some applicants get phone interviews. Then an in person interview while the interviewer writes every word you say (be prepared to dictate your thoughts.) Strict health review. If you're an interesting, healthy person you have nothing to worry about during the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer
    Here's a contract. You game?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Standard interview process. However, due to the work and nature of the Peace Corps, I recommend describing your background in a way that presents you as worldly. This can be achieved through remarks about an experience in a culture different from your own, extensive traveling, or knowledge you have about another country--particularly those of the global South.

Interview Questions
    • All questions are fairly straight forward. You won’t find any curveballs with PC.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

-Submit online app
    -Do onsite interview
    -App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
    -Do medical & admin paperwork
    -Contacted from placement desk
    -Final placement interview
    -Invitation issued

Interview Questions
    No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cotonou (Benin)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question