Peace Corps

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Question – How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Interview Question – Can you handle sexual harassment?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied through college or university and the process took 6+ months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Question – Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interview Details – Very Standard
interviewed was reading right from a list of questions and typing my answers as I went - which was very distracting at times
It took about 4 months from the time my application was submitted to when I was finally interviewed

Interview Question – Most stressed period in your life and how you coped with it   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunter Interview

Peace Corps Volunter

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – Submit an application and go through a long and tedious interview and placement process. Hope and pray that you pass the medical tests and 6 months to years later you may actually be sent an invitation to serve

Negotiation Details – Nonexistent

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2010.

Interview Details – The 1 on 1 interview consisted of a series of questions such as "Are you willing to suffer a lot in a foreign country?". I said "yes". This went on for a while. I was assigned a sector in a highly arbitrary way, asked in which general region I would rather live, and 2 years of my future were sealed with a split second decision by my interviewer. He also spent the entire interview typing what I was saying verbatim, which I found highly disconcerting.

Interview Questions

• "Will you be able to handle living in a foreign country, sacrificing your favorite foods, friends, and modern conveniences?"   View Answer
  • Do you speak any foreign languages?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is none.

Conakry (Guinea)

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2008.

Interview Details – Very long process; takes at least 4 months.

Interview Question – You can find all of the questions online; nothing is unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation; you take it or leave it: no choice about where you go, either.

Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

Interview Details – You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Question – Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Question – Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!