Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions

2.6

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, ME
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview was long due to questions and placement (decision was essentially made that day). Interviewer had taken his position after returning from PC service and also participating in on campus recruiting events - made me feel comfortable and at ease. Waiting 8 months to get my invitation letter to leave just 2 months later.

Interview Questions
    • How I would deal with feeling isolated   View Answer
    Recommended for Spanish speaking country and Community Health - felt I had little flexibility to ask for Africa region.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in April 2010.

You will do the initial online application, submitting your resume, essays, and additional information, plus have to get 3 letters of recommendation submitted.

Later, you will be contacted by a regional recruiter who will do an in person interview. A lot of the questions are about your background, why you are interested in joining the Peace Corps, your thoughts on living abroad, volunteer service, etc. Pretty basic. I was asked to describe a lot about my previous abroad experience, and also a lot about my background in health (I said I wanted to be a health volunteer). They ask you several times about your commitment to serve abroad, away from family and friends, for such an extended amount of time.

If you do well on the interview, you will be nominated for a position, and then you have to pass medical and security/background clearance. Make sure you do all your appointments as quickly as possible and submit everything as soon as possible so your application can keep rolling. A lot of people get stumped here. It's easy to get done, you just need to turn everything in without errors, and follow up with the DC office often.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe a time where I didn't agree with a situation, but felt I could not do anything about it.   Answer Question
    Obviously you don't negotiate salary with Peace Corps, but sometimes you can negotiate where you go/when you leave... although I don't recommend it because they most likely won't do it and it will make you look worse.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Peace Corps in January 2009.

Online application with recommendations and essays, in person interview with recruiter, nomination via phone, medical & background check, invitation

None.