Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 7, 2014

2.6

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions
  • How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
  • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

1 on 1 interview followed by medical/background check, recruited from a Non-profit fair

Interview Questions
    • What will you do when there is nothing to do?   View Answer
    No negotiation. You must be willing to serve where they ask you to serve and accept all the hardships associated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2009.

Online application with recommendations and essays, in person interview with recruiter, nomination via phone, medical & background check, invitation

None.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question
    There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Questions
    • None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question