Peace Corps

Updated Nov 10, 2014

2.6

40 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Questions
  • None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Questions
    • If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2011.

I applied online and a couple of weeks later I received a call from a recruiter a set up an in-person interview. I had my interview a couple weeks later, with the same recruiter who had called to set up the interview. The interview lasted about 75-90 minutes, and the recruiter was very friendly. After the interview was over, the recruiter took a few minutes to take my fingerprints, and during that time I could ask questions that I had about the Peace Corps. About three days after the interview, the recruiter called me to let me know that I had been nominated for a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to change you appearance.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer
    No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Process can take up to a year as there are several steps that need to be completed. First, the application. It felt more like applying to a University than a job. Submitted resume, references, and letter of interest. Second, phone interview followed by 1 to 1 with local recruiter. Third, letter of acceptance. Fourth, completing a thorough security and medical background check (must pass to move forward). Fifth, country placement. Interviews are not difficult but you have to patience with the processing time.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about an experience dealing with cultural differences and what was your reaction?   Answer Question
    • What do you enjoy doing alone? How would you handle feeling isolated or alone while living in a foreign country?   Answer Question
    the only thing that can possibly be negotiated is the country of service. Doing this can place limitations on when you start and what you will do. The more open you are to placement, the quicker you start. I said I didn't want to serve in very cold regions and I ended in the South Pacific Islands.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cotonou (Benin)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Questions
    • Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in March 2010.

The 1 on 1 interview consisted of a series of questions such as "Are you willing to suffer a lot in a foreign country?". I said "yes". This went on for a while. I was assigned a sector in a highly arbitrary way, asked in which general region I would rather live, and 2 years of my future were sealed with a split second decision by my interviewer. He also spent the entire interview typing what I was saying verbatim, which I found highly disconcerting.

Interview Questions
    • "Will you be able to handle living in a foreign country, sacrificing your favorite foods, friends, and modern conveniences?"   View Answer
    • Do you speak any foreign languages?   Answer Question
    There is none.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2010.

Interview process was for them to learn more about you and how you can handle cultural changes.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2008.

Asked me lots of questions from describing myself, how I cope with change, how I would handle certain situations. They wanted to make sure I was "flexible". The interviewer took lots of notes during the interview, which was about 3 hours long. At the end I was asked if I had any questions. I had several. The interviewer said she liked that I had questions prepared.

Interview Questions
    • Are you willing to work and live in a country in which women have no rights?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conakry (Guinea)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Conakry (Guinea)

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2008.

Very long process; takes at least 4 months.

Interview Questions
    • You can find all of the questions online; nothing is unexpected.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation; you take it or leave it: no choice about where you go, either.