Peace Corps

Updated Jan 30, 2015

2.6

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question
    There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Questions
    • They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Questions
    • None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Questions
    • If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2011.

I applied online and a couple of weeks later I received a call from a recruiter a set up an in-person interview. I had my interview a couple weeks later, with the same recruiter who had called to set up the interview. The interview lasted about 75-90 minutes, and the recruiter was very friendly. After the interview was over, the recruiter took a few minutes to take my fingerprints, and during that time I could ask questions that I had about the Peace Corps. About three days after the interview, the recruiter called me to let me know that I had been nominated for a position.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to change you appearance.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer
    No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Process can take up to a year as there are several steps that need to be completed. First, the application. It felt more like applying to a University than a job. Submitted resume, references, and letter of interest. Second, phone interview followed by 1 to 1 with local recruiter. Third, letter of acceptance. Fourth, completing a thorough security and medical background check (must pass to move forward). Fifth, country placement. Interviews are not difficult but you have to patience with the processing time.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about an experience dealing with cultural differences and what was your reaction?   Answer Question
    • What do you enjoy doing alone? How would you handle feeling isolated or alone while living in a foreign country?   Answer Question
    the only thing that can possibly be negotiated is the country of service. Doing this can place limitations on when you start and what you will do. The more open you are to placement, the quicker you start. I said I didn't want to serve in very cold regions and I ended in the South Pacific Islands.