Peace Corps

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Portland, ME

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Negotiation Details – Minimal

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview Details – Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

El Segundo, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Question – Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

Interview Details – -Submit online app
-Do onsite interview
-App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
-Do medical & admin paperwork
-Contacted from placement desk
-Final placement interview
-Invitation issued

Interview Question – Interview was straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Question – Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in March 2014.

Interview Details – The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 9 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
  • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2013.

Interview Details – You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Question – In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!