Peace Corps

Updated Dec 2, 2014

2.6

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2013.

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I went to a campus event at my college, got all the information I needed and filled out an application. After that was finished, I had an interview with the campus Peace Corps recruiter, which took about 2 hours. The interview wasn't very difficult, the questions were mostly focused on getting to know me and whether I was ready to spend 2+ years living in another country.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember: again, the interview wasn't difficult or especially probing: just be yourself.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

After your application is submitted, you will be asked a brief health questionnaire. Then you will have an interview (phone or in person) then a background and medical check. Once everything is clear then you will be placed to a specific country. Typically it takes six months but it could take up to 2 years.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of situational questions, describe a time when you had to teach someone something, describe a time when you didn't agree with someone, how did you handle that situation? Describe a time when you were uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with something, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    there is no negotiation phase, you either accept your country invitation or you don't. If you decline twice, you are no longer considered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2013.

You apply to PC online and then receive multiple phone interviews/medical clearances. After about 6 months, you are offered a site (country)/position and you can either decline or accept. If you accept, it will be about another 4-5 months before departure.

Interview Questions
    • In the interview, they want to make sure you're cut out for living (and succeeding) in a new culture and communicating in a different language for two years. Have specific examples prepared to prove you have what it takes.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Very lengthy process (for good reason). Applied online and was contacted immediately by a recruiter. Application packet included several essays and letters of interest, several letters of recommendation, CV, and college transcripts. After that the process included a background check (finger printing), and medical clearance.

Normally the interview is fairly early on in the application process. In most cases, you will be called in for an interview with your nearest recruiter, but because I lived out of state from my initial recruiter I had my interview over the phone/Skype.

Intverview was very laid back and friendly. Questions focused on ability to integrate into cultures and dedication for two years. They asked for a time I taught something to someone, a time when I had difficulty working with someone, as well as my greatest weakness and leadership ability.

The second half of the interview was about my preference in working in certain regions or sectors. I was originally offered an Agricultural sector position in South America, but when I voiced that I would be more comfortable teaching English they moved me to the Education Sector for Southeast Asia.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to give up or hide part of who you are in order to integrate into the culture? (Example wearing piercings or certain clothes, going to a certain church, or eating certain foods)   Answer Question
    No negotiation, all volunteers receive a predetermined allowance during service, and a readjustment allowance at the end of service.

Peace Corps Volunteers Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in October 2010.

Interview was long due to questions and placement (decision was essentially made that day). Interviewer had taken his position after returning from PC service and also participating in on campus recruiting events - made me feel comfortable and at ease. Waiting 8 months to get my invitation letter to leave just 2 months later.

Interview Questions
    • How I would deal with feeling isolated   View Answer
    Recommended for Spanish speaking country and Community Health - felt I had little flexibility to ask for Africa region.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in September 2010.

-Submit online app
    -Do onsite interview
    -App gets forwarded to PC headquarters
    -Do medical & admin paperwork
    -Contacted from placement desk
    -Final placement interview
    -Invitation issued

Interview Questions
    No negotiation--I wanted to change my track but they wouldn't let me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in April 2010.

You will do the initial online application, submitting your resume, essays, and additional information, plus have to get 3 letters of recommendation submitted.

Later, you will be contacted by a regional recruiter who will do an in person interview. A lot of the questions are about your background, why you are interested in joining the Peace Corps, your thoughts on living abroad, volunteer service, etc. Pretty basic. I was asked to describe a lot about my previous abroad experience, and also a lot about my background in health (I said I wanted to be a health volunteer). They ask you several times about your commitment to serve abroad, away from family and friends, for such an extended amount of time.

If you do well on the interview, you will be nominated for a position, and then you have to pass medical and security/background clearance. Make sure you do all your appointments as quickly as possible and submit everything as soon as possible so your application can keep rolling. A lot of people get stumped here. It's easy to get done, you just need to turn everything in without errors, and follow up with the DC office often.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to describe a time where I didn't agree with a situation, but felt I could not do anything about it.   Answer Question
    Obviously you don't negotiate salary with Peace Corps, but sometimes you can negotiate where you go/when you leave... although I don't recommend it because they most likely won't do it and it will make you look worse.