Peace Corps Peace Corps Volunteers Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.6

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I recommend starting the application process 6-12 months before you intend to serve. The process is lengthy due to the extensive medical and background check. Once you pass the medical/background portion you will be contacted for an interview. The interview is typically done in person, however, mine was done via Skype. My interview lasted 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• What are your coping mechanisms?   Answer Question
  • How would you feel about living and working in a culture where men and women are not treated as equals?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It is a complicated application with many essays followed by an in person interview and finally you need to pass medical test which can be difficult.

Interview Questions

• Do you have experience living or working with different cultures? Please describe. How do you handle conflict. Describe a time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Madison, WI) in March 2014.

Interview

The application was extensive but could be completed fairly easily online, then was contacted by a recruiter for a 15 min phone conversation. Then there was the interview which lasted 1.5 hours. It was very friendly and was more like a conversation. Be sure to prepare for the in-person interview by googling "peace corps" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Tampa, FL).

Interview

After researching to see if the Peace Corps is right for you, you can go on their website to find out where the closest recruiting officer is. You can schedule to make an appointment. When I met with mine she talked to me about the various types of positions volunteers can have and what types of projects they work on. I filled out the application and waited to hear back from DC. After I was given the green light, I completed a background check to show that I wasn't in any financial or legal trouble and also a medical exam to show I was healthy enough to go live in the woods for 2 years. Once this was all completed and turned in to DC I waited to hear if I was accepted. From start to end the process took 16 months.

Interview Questions

• The hardest part is the medical examination because many small problems in the states can disqualify you since many locations lack access to good medical facilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There's no negotiation, but you're not joining the Peace Corps for the money

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

The point of the interview process is to make sure that you are going to be able to excel for 2 years of service. This means if you can be a self starter, be away from friends and family and find happiness, and if you can be culturally sensitive and accepting. Don't try and work the system, because all the people that leave service are because of these reasons, be honest with the situation, and if you are a good fit, congrats! If not, there are plenty other service opportunities that aren't as intense a commitment, not everyone is meant to be a Peace Corps volunteer, and the investment is in training, so they are trying to find those that have that special something before the investment.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a challenging situation and what you did to overcome it.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview

I applied online, received a packet of info to fill out. Completed this over a long time frame (medical evaluations). Called in for interview and told I was in before it was over

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps (El Segundo, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

After submitting my application with references, I was contacted by a regional recruiter to set up an interview time. The office was tucked away into the side of a really upscale building complete with security guard, fountain, and glass doors. The clerk at the front desk and the recruiter were an absolute pleasure to talk to, and I didn't feel uncomfortable about any part of the process. The only thing to prepare for is an interview that can last upwards of 2 hours.

Interview Questions

• Describe an ambiguous or unstructured situation you've been in. How did you work through it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The hiring process was rigorous. There was an extensive essay process, in person interview, and a lengthy medical and legal check.

Interview Questions

• Being asked about gender issues and how I'd feel living in countries with differing gender roles.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps (Oakland, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I met with a recruiter, and she asked all of the questions on the Peace Corps Wiki site in the exact order listed. Since I had used that site for my "practice" session, I was ready to discuss all. It was a pleasant experience, and completely stress free.

Interview Questions

• MOTIVATION / COMMITMENT
      What motivates you to seek a service position as a Peace Corps Volunteer? How does Peace Corps service fit into your long range plans?
      Remember back to your first playground experience. Why did you want to play on the playground? What games did you play?
      What, if anything, might keep you from completing a 27-month commitment to Peace Corps Service?
      Do you have a specific geographic preference? If yes: what is the reason for your preference and how flexible are you? If there are specific regions where you are unwilling to serve: what are your reasons and what is your degree of flexibility?

PRODUCTIVE COMPETENCE
      Please tell me about your most successful experience in a leadership role. Be as specific as possible.
      Please tell me about an experience when you were able to transfer some knowledge or skill to someone who was different from yourself. What did you learn about your interpersonal skills from that experience? What did you learn about the other person?
      Please tell me about the most frustrating experience you have had when working with others. Specifically, how did you manage that frustration?
      Please tell me about a time when you worked in an unstructured or ambiguous situation? How did you approach the task at hand? What did you learn about your personal strengths from that experience?
      All Peace Corps Volunteers learn a new language. Have you studied a second language?
      If so, what challenges did you face and what level of facility did you achieve?
      What aptitudes or abilities can you draw on to help you succeed in learning a new language?

MATURITY
      What situations do you typically find stressful? What do you currently do to reduce stress?
      When you are overseas, circumstances and/or cultural norms may prevent you from employing your usual ways of managing stress, boredom, and loneliness. You will also most likely be out of touch with your familiar support group.
      In such a situation, what alternative outlets might you use?
      If your support group currently plays a critical role in helping you cope with stress, how will you manage without them?
      What is the longest you have been physically separated from important people (family, friends, romantic interests, etc.) in your life? What was the most difficult part of being away from those closest to you? How did you cope?
      What kind of support have you received from those closest to you on your decision to join the Peace Corps?
      Has anyone close to you opposed your decision to join Peace Corps? If so, who was it? What were his/her concerns? How have you responded to them?
      Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.
      One’s ability to work through and resolve differences or conflict is often tested in cross-cultural situations. Please tell me about a specific situation, one we haven’t already discussed, when you needed to work through a disagreement or difference of opinion. Were you able to reach a resolution? How, specifically, did you do that?
      If you weren’t able to resolve the conflict, what prevented you from doing so? In retrospect, is there anything you would do differently?
      Are you currently in a relationship? If so, how will you handle the expectations of your service overseas?
      Rank the following three aspects of your service by how important they are to you: where you go, when you go, and what you do.

SOCIAL SENSITIVITY / CULTURAL AWARENESS
      In some countries, tattoos, body piercing, or unusual hairstyles may be culturally unacceptable. To be a successful Volunteer in such a country, you would have to modify your appearance so that it conforms to local norms. Are you willing to make such an adjustment? Give an example of a time that you had to modify your appearance.
      The following are issues that you may face in your country of service. Please note any concerns:
      different and/or lack of familiar foods
      different living conditions
      lack of privacy; isolation
      prescribed gender roles
      possible minority challenges
      personal religious requirements/possible lack of access to your own religious services
      living in a culture where alcohol may be widely consumed and accepted/living in a culture that prohibits the use of alcohol altogether!

Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Peace Corps in June 2013.

Interview

Took forever to go through selection process. On-line application. Screened by an personal interview at their office. Many months went by before they processed and told me where I would be serving. Delay in my leave date.

Interview Questions

• If I wanted to live near other volunteers   1 Answer