Peace Corps

2.6

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

I applied online. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2010.

It used to be an extremely long process (it took me over two years between writing my initial application to becoming a Peace Corps Trainee), but that doesn't matter anymore because they streamlined the hiring process. Now it is much better, says my sister who works for Peace Corps.

You apply online, meet with a Peace Corps recruiter, complete an extremely in-depth medical check, and a clearance check. The medical check is the most cumbersome part (vision, dental, and more).

The actual interview is simple, they just want to see if you'd be fit.

Interview Questions
  • Would you be willing to live in a country where women are very discriminated?Are you a vegetarian? Would you be willing to change that?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Peace Corps

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Peace Corps in September 2009.

You can check the website for a detailed explanation of hiring process. It is extensive and took me over a year from the submission of my application to actually getting into my assigned country. The interview seemed laid back and the questions were mostly about leadership, cross cultural experiences/sensitivity and you also have the chance to ask the recruiter any questions. They also ask you if there is any reason you would need to come home or quit before the 27 month contract is over.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to join the Peace Corps?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions
    • How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
    • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

1 on 1 interview followed by medical/background check, recruited from a Non-profit fair

Interview Questions
    • What will you do when there is nothing to do?   View Answer
    No negotiation. You must be willing to serve where they ask you to serve and accept all the hardships associated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, ME

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Very thorough interview by the recruiter. Lots of questions about my background and flexibility and anticipated challenges. Interviewer read thru my entire application packet and asked many questions. Asked about my geographic preferences for where I'd like to be placed but it was important to show flexibility re a potential assignment (eg don't say that you'll only go to country x)

Minimal

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Peace Corps in January 2009.

Online application with recommendations and essays, in person interview with recruiter, nomination via phone, medical & background check, invitation

None.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 12+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

The process took about a year. After a long application, they called a couple months later to confirm that I still interested. A month later they called and requested more hands on experience. As I gained hands on experience for the next year they periodically called to see what I have been doing. 7 months after I submitted the application they requested an in-person interview.

The interview was about an hour long with questions more focused on if I was ready to make a 2 year commitment rather how could I use my skills in the field. Questions such as "Would I be alright on a very limited diet?" "How would I feel about living in harsh conditions?"

About a 1 1/2 after the interview they called and said they have a site chosen for me and that I would be sent to this country in 2 months. The would not tell me the on country, only the continent. I agreed and never looked back.

Great experience all around. The process may be long but I heard it is a lot faster and you can select your country now. Every Peace Corps employee was kind and attentive. Looking for a way to make a difference in the lives of many and experience a culture through in depth immersion? Peace Corps may be for you.

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

Hiring is now easier than ever, you get to choose where you want to serve (it you are qualified enough). Interviewing is pretty straightforward, although they WILL ask personal questions, such as, what will you and your significant other do when you go to the Peace Corps?

Peace Corps Volunteer Interview

I applied online. The process took 11+ monthsinterviewed at Peace Corps.

First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.