Peace Corps

Average Difficulty
36 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in February 2009.

Interview Details – 1 on 1 interview followed by medical/background check, recruited from a Non-profit fair

Interview Question – What will you do when there is nothing to do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. You must be willing to serve where they ask you to serve and accept all the hardships associated.

Seattle, WA

The process took 4 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2009.

Interview Details – Interview included lots of standard fit questions (tell me about yourself, why chose studies, etc.) but also lots of questions specific to the nature of the Peace Corps geared to assess your ability to adapt to a different culture and unstructured work environment. I had had lots of advice to try to submit my application at a specific time in order to get specific countries, and to be completely open to any work sector or region. I was very honest about what I wanted in terms of language and work sector, and also explained why I wanted those things (how they fit into my career path) and got assigned to the language/sector I wanted.

Interview Questions

• How would you feel about modifying your appearance to fit into a culture?   View Answer
  • How would you feel if placed in a culture where alcohol was forbidden? Consumed excessively?   View Answer

Peace Corps Volunteer

The process took a day - interviewed at Peace Corps in July 2009.

Interview Details – After submitting my application online, I was almost immediately contacted by email by my regional recruiter. She said she would send me an additional packet of information to fill out, and I would bring that to the interview. During the interview (lasted about 1.5 hours), the recruiter asked many questions starting with "Tell me about a time when..." Be prepared to talk about a frustrating situation, a time when you taught someone something, how you handle an unstructured environment, and a time when you had trouble following a rule.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had trouble following a rule.   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a frustrating situation you found yourself in, or a frustrating person you had to deal with.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cotonou (Benin)

I applied online and the process took a year or more - interviewed at Peace Corps in August 2010.

Interview Details – Cumbersome. The process takes about a year from start to finish. You have to fill out a lot of paperwork and be very flexible, as you most likely won't be offered your first choice in terms of job location. The interview is pretty harmless, but you do need to emphasize the fact that you have an upbeat personality and are optimistic.

Interview Question – Will you be ok with a community referring to you as "their volunteer?"   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 11 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – First, you must fill out a rather lengthy application. Once that is approved, you must have a background check, and then a medical check. The medical check is meant to ensure that you are healthy enough to serve for 27 months in a rural area with limited access to medical care. You will have an in-person interview, during which the interviewer must read questions from a script and he/she must write your answers down verbatim (this can be a bit awkward as they scribble away). Later, you will have a phone interview or two. Finally, you will receive your invitation to serve along with information about your program (English education, health education, small business development, etc) and your country of service. The whole process usually takes about a year.

Interview Question – Can you handle sexual harassment?   View Answer

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – Some people are interviewed over the phone I was interviewed in person. Peace corps has a long application but it has changed since I did it. The interview process is simple, they ask questions to see if you are the type of person that would last in a demanding and foreign environment.

Interview Question – How would you deal with people who discriminated against you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really isn't one, you signed up to basically work for free. Hope you like it!

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 8 months - interviewed at Peace Corps in November 2010.

Interview Details – Fill out lengthy application form online and write two essays. If everything checks out, they'll invite you for an interview. If they like you, a regional recruiter will call you for a phone follow up and possibly nominate you for a region. Wait months as you get your medical and legal background checks sorted out and receive a final assignment a few months before departure. I went through the entire process in 8 months and many volunteers consider that very quick.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you've been a minority.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, as it's a volunteer program.

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The application can be a very lengthy and tiring process. It included several pages of information, ranging from detailed health information to personal information to work and education details. You will have a several hour interview if your application is up to par, where they will discuss possible placement areas and your willingness to accept these areas. You will then have to get detailed(and very annoying) health check-ups and dental check-ups before being cleared for a position.

Interview Question – They mostly concentrate on your cross-cultural skills, asking about situations where you were exposed to different cultures and how you responded.   Answer Question

Peace Corps Volunteer

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Peace Corps.

Interview Details – The interview lasted much longer than the recruiter had initially predicted -- over 3 hours! She would ask the same questions multiple times in slightly different ways: how you handle alone time; discuss a time you were frustrated (it was that unspecific); discuss a time when you had to teach someone something.

Interview Question – None of it was very difficult; perhaps the most personal was a question about a time when I didn't agree with a rule.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Peace Corps

Interview Details – The interview was in a college recruiter's office. It took almost an hour and most of the questions were behavioral type. He then had me rank how willing I would be to adapt to certain situations I might encounter for example bucket bathing, having to walk/bike long distances to get to my job, dressing modestly even in a hot climate where the people were extremely conservative etc....

Interview Question – If you have a boyfriend/girlfriend and how they feel about you leaving?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peace Corps