Pearson Interview Questions in Glenview, IL

2.8

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glenview, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (Glenview, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Process was quick but disappointing in the end. I applied online and received an email from HR within a couple days to set up an HR screening. He didn’t realize that we actually spoke before when I applied to a similar job several months earlier in which I never received an interview. He then quickly set me up this time with a phone interview with the Creative Director who is located in Florida. Had a phone interview with the Creative Director two days later after talking with HR. Great conversation, easy to talk to. She explained in detailed how the organization is set up, how the team works, what the interview process would be like, and even gave a rough estimate of a start date if selected. She then mentioned the next step is to take a “test”. I was nervous at first but soon found out it was a mini project that I had to do. I found this much more easier than answering a bunch stupid textbook quiz questions. Instead I was emailed a zip file that contained a complex Photoshop PSD file and some brief instructions that said I had to create a functional web page using only HTML, CSS, and Javascript that looks exactly like the PSD file. I had the weekend to do it. I actually had a lot of fun doing it, it was challenging and fun at the same time. I zipped my code and emailed it to HR. I got scheduled for an in person interview with the hiring manager at their Glenview, IL office the following week, so I assumed someone reviewed and approved of my project work. The Glenview office is an eye sore. It’s under construction, portions of the building have no lights, old desks and tables folded up against the wall. He showed me where I would be sitting , it’s a big open area with a bunch of empty cubicles that planned to get filled in the near future. The in person interview I thought went well, but apparently it went too well. The hiring manager seemed surprised to find out how much extensive programming and corporate experience I have. Although the job description was titled Web Developer and it did mentioned the typical languages like HTML, CSS, and Javascript, it also mentioned WordPress. Apparently what they are looking for is someone with 80% WordPress and only 20% actual programming. I’m just the opposite, I have about 80% programming and only 20% exposure to Content Management Systems, none with WordPress. He didn’t even mentioned the project that I done, I’m not even sure if he was even aware of it. He did however mentioned that this position has very little coding involved. I received a personalized rejection notice two days later, which to me says they weren’t really looking for a Senior Web Developer, they were really looking for a Junior WordPress publisher.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions, just a design project that had to be done in a short amount of time.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pearson (Glenview, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Recruiter sets up interviews with multiple managers.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Did not feel I was able to negotiate because I was interviewing for two positions.

Publisher's Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (Glenview, IL) in October 2009.

Interview

The hiring and interview process is very lengthy at Pearson, and for many positions a "project" is also required of all applicants. For the Publisher's Rep position, I was ultimately hired after 1 phone interview, 4 in-person interviews, 2 shadowing sessions with current reps, and completion of a "campus project". The "campus project" involved calling on current or potential customers to interview faculty members about their perspective of the publishing industry, the sales process, etc. The post-project write up was then submitted for review along with any insights I learned from the day of "practicing" the job.

Interview Questions

• The in person interview with the district manager was very straightforward. The sales trainer liked to ask more of the pointless philosophical questions like "what is the most difficult work situation you've been in and how did you handle it?"   Answer Question

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pearson (Glenview, IL) in October 2008.

Interview

Although I knew the hiring manager wanted to hire me, I had to have another interview with an individual from HR. She did her best to rattle me or make me feel I was not suited to the position. The hiring manager was very apologetic that I even had to do a second interview with HR, but it was out of his hands.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that you are qualified for this position although you do not have all of the skills we seek?   Answer Question