Pearson

178 candidate interviews

Scrum Master Interview

Scrum Master
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pearson in June 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed with Pearson over the span of two months (April - June 2014). I'm unsure whether the ball was dropped by Pearson or the recruiter who I worked with, but, spoiler alert, I never heard back from anyone.

My first phone screen was immediately after speaking with the recruiter on a Friday afternoon about the position at Pearson. I spoke with a Program Manager (PM) about my general experience and the project I would be joining. The PM seemed less than enthusiastic about the current situation at Pearson, as they have recently gone through a re-org and some key team roles were missing. The PM was great to talk to and I was eager to hear more.

The next phone screen took place the following Tuesday with a Hiring Manager (HM). The HM asked a lot of technical questions, which were fine and I was able to answer. The HM did not leave me with the best impression and seemed like he was uninterested in speaking with me in the first place. The phone call lasted about twenty minutes and while I did not get the best feeling from the HM, I was excited about the project I could be joining.

Over the next month, my in-person interview was rescheduled five times. That is not an exaggeration. Without going into explicit details, most of which I am still unsure of, I eventually was able to secure an in-person interview with Pearson.

The office is very nice and modern, located downtown in NYC. I spoke with three people, individually, of varying roles (Project Manager, QA, Sr. VP) and all left me with a good impression of the project and Pearson. I felt really good about the interviews and spoke with the recruiter immediately when I was finished and expressed interest in the position.

After following up twice weekly with the recruiter for three weeks, I was left with no decision and no feedback from Pearson. To me, this is unacceptable after two months and being rescheduled five times. Again, I'm unsure where the disconnect happened, but this is very unprofessional. I was very excited about the project and I'm sorry things turned out they way they did.

**Note to contractors: You will need to provide your own laptop if hired.

Interview Question – Describe how you dealt with a difficult situation where there was disagreement about a feature or functionality   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Tech Support Specialist Interview

Tech Support Specialist
Sandy, UT

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Pearson in June 2014.

Interview Details – A company called Signature Consultants out of Boston, MA called me they did a phone interview. I then was asked to fill out paperwork with my SSN for a background check, which I feel is not necessary, unless offered a position first. And in my opinion should be illegal as per to avoid scams. But then I was pestered by the recruiter the day of, and right before the interview. She told me that the interviewer would ask me the following questions. 1. How to make a PB& J sandwich 2. What are two strengths and weaknesses? 3. How to find an IP address, or explain it to someone who doesn't know. She then said that they are looking for people with alot of "personality". But when I got there, the interviewer did not ask me any of those questions. He just said "Oh it looks like you have a alot of technical experience based on your resume." What hours can you work? "This job is more customer service orientated, rather than technical". " I have a good feeling". "Do you have any questions for me?" And I said that's it?. I was expecting more questions, and a tech test. He then said no. "We are looking to hire pretty quick'. And I added that I was available anytime for training. He then walked me out the front door. And told the recruiter that they filled the position.

Interview Question – I feel like if the position was more customer service related he could have asked me some customer service scenario and/or have me do a mock customer service phone call. I feel like he honestly took one look at me,and discriminated against the way I look and decided not to hire me!   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Community Manager
Indianapolis, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details – 5 interviews with teammates and Director. Individual meetings with each. Overall basic questions for each team outing their responsibility and how they would work with the PR/Community Manager. Nothing out of the order. Would ask to pitch a specific product or give examples of past media/community work. Successes/ challenges of past work.

Interview Question – Very standard.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to go back and negotiate to an even better offer than initially offered.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer Interview

Associate Software Quality Assurance Engineer
San Francisco, CA

Interview Details – Received an email a few days after applying online and set up a Skype interview. It was a 30 minute technical interview with the senior engineer. I was asked to solve two Java related problems in regards to QA.

Interview Question – I have college experience with Java and do not memorize specific Java tools and I was asked to solve questions using these standards. Although I knew how to solve the problems, I was unable to answer them due to specific Java related knowledge.   Answer Question

Temporary Project Manager Interview

Temporary Project Manager

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pearson.

Interview Details – Two interviews, one was an initial phone interview, asking basic questions such as my name and how serious I was about the position. In the second interview, I was asked several behavioral questions.

Negotiation Details – They ended up giving more then originally planned.

Very Easy Interview

People Development Interview

People Development
Upper Saddle River, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pearson in January 2010.

Interview Details – Very easy and laid back interview. Was able to totally be myself and was relaxed. I felt an instant connection and knew I was going to be offered the job.

Interview Question – Honestly, nothing.   Answer Question

Test Scorer Interview

Test Scorer
Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Pearson in April 2014.

Interview Details – Elaborate web site form to fill out. They don't want your resume, only proof that you are a college grad. They want to know if you are honest and play well with others. You receive a conditional offer that will be confirmed once they have proof you're a college grad and a citizen, and appear in person for a photo for your tag. It's a secure site, so you will beam in everywhere. No phone activity in the black box area.

Interview Question – They will want examples of cooperative work, dealing with situations where you were asked to do something iffy, etc.. This is all web sit entry. You will have to repeat it for the off-site scoring, if you apply for both on-site and remote location, so save your answers in a file somewhere!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. Flat rate--$10.00 US an hour for training, $12.00 US an hour for scoring, slight (pennies) incentive over a certain number of tests scored a day, if the rate lasts a week. If you fall under that rate, you lose the bonus for the pay period. This was my first contract--they may have wiggle room on later contracts,

Senior Technical Project Manager Interview

Senior Technical Project Manager
Bala Cynwyd, PA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pearson in March 2014.

Interview Details – One HR phone screening, one hiring manager phone discussion and one in person interview with the whole team including the hiring manager. As I recall all questions were relevant to the position. SCRUM is big there. Everyone made me feel comfortable and I really did like all the people who interviewed me.

Interview Question – After all the interviewers the hiring person asks pointed questions from more of a strategic view point concerning the company and the department.   Answer Question

Customer Digital Success Agent Interview

Customer Digital Success Agent
Columbus, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Pearson in October 2013.

Interview Details – Was contacted to have a phone interview. Very basic questions (~30 minutes), such as "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" Next, brought in for a face-to-face interview with department manager. More of a general talk about why I wanted the job, etc. Also sat with an employee to learn more about the job and the products I would be working with. I was asked to do an interview project at home. Pretty much just exploring the website and answering questions about the page and the products from the point of view of the customer. Brought in for another face-to-face interview, this time with department director. Very casual. Finally asked to do a role-play with a supervisor. This was the hardest part as I was not prepped at all.

Interview Question – The role-play was the most difficult part of the interview process. I was expected to train my "customer" on how to use the product...a product I had never even heard of before. I had to make things up and felt very unprepared.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was absolutely no negotiation...or room for it. They make an offer and you either accept or decline.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

Interviewed at Pearson

Interview Details – not such a technical interview. you can easily get through.regular informal interview.there was not such a question. regular informal interview.We review and approve every post before it appears on our site, and in a case where the community sees something suspicious we will look into the issue and take appropriate ac

Interview Question – there was not such a question. regular informal interview.   Answer Question

Worked for Pearson? Contribute to the Community!