Pearson Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Professional Scorer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Pearson (Houston, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

There was no interview, just a conditional offer of employment via e-mail. But you don't officially become an employee until you pass the qualification test for the project. The qualification test involves three sets of 10 questions that you must score correctly in order to score actual responses. Successful qualification will require studying the anchor papers and other training materials provided.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Pearson (Denver, CO) in March 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was very detailed, and had a lot of behavioral questions. They did not list that they wanted someone PMP certified, but the questions the recruiter asked were all geared to someone with that background.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you used your creative thinking and strategy methods to increase efficiencies between departments and reduced time and costs.   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Interview

The entire process seems very disorganized and takes way too long. They expect you to interview for several hours at a time, which is hard when you have a full time job.

Interview Questions

I was offered another job and accepted.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pearson (Denver, CO).

Interview

Process is exceedingly Slow, SLOW, S.L.O.W... unresponsive. Executives late to meetings. Executives unprepared, had not even read resume prior to video conference interview. No response to Thank You notes. Lack of follow-up.

Interview Questions

• Interviewers asked routine, rudimentary questions, almost seemed distracted or maybe uninterested...possibly just a necessary external interview when an internal candidate was already selected?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online and was contacted within a few weeks to conduct a phone interview. I interviewed with the regional sales director. Though I did not have experience with sales, which was clear from my resume, the interviewer asked me multiple times about that. The conversation was about 30 minutes long. With a background in education, I expected that I would be able to speak more specifically to how that may be beneficial, but I was cut off at the knees when it was explained that it would not be helpful.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The process can be fast or slow depending on the people you're working with. I was lucky to work with competent reps who had me at the project round just a few weeks after initially submitting my application online. I would have pursued the opportunity further, if only to interact with the reps again, but an opportunity closer to my skill set appeared before I could complete the project round.

Interview Questions

• You'll be tasked with acting as a pseudo-representative and visiting a college or university of your choice in order to gauge the textbook/software situation at that institution, after which you'll write a brief report on how you would employ Pearson's solutions there.   1 Answer

Science Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Kansas City, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

First, a phone interview with the General Manager. Then, a presentation for the VP of Sales and Director of Market Specialists on a topic of their choice. Another phone interview with the VP of sales, and finally an in person interview with the General Manager for a verbal offer. The interview process is designed to model the sales process for instructional materials - lengthy and competitive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience training other employees.   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who'd seen my resume floating around and she connected me with the Editor I came to work for. The interviewing process was seamless--they were both very impressed with previous editorial experience. The editor was unexpectedly enthusiastic about previous sales experience, as he felt EAs should transition into sales positions.

Interview Questions

• The editor I interviewed with was very interested in previous sales experience, almost trying to sell me on a Sales career before I entered Editorial.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was very little wiggle room as far as compensation packages go.

Senior Program Quality Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Iowa City, IA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Iowa City, IA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very quick overall. Phone interview with HR, then Phone interview with VP. Called in for a face to face interview with 3 people, offered next day. Interview team was very accommodating, met with them after hours to work around my schedule. Didn't feel like I had the spotlight on me the whole time, very free flowing interview.

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glenview, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Glenview, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

Process was quick but disappointing in the end. I applied online and received an email from HR within a couple days to set up an HR screening. He didn’t realize that we actually spoke before when I applied to a similar job several months earlier in which I never received an interview. He then quickly set me up this time with a phone interview with the Creative Director who is located in Florida. Had a phone interview with the Creative Director two days later after talking with HR. Great conversation, easy to talk to. She explained in detailed how the organization is set up, how the team works, what the interview process would be like, and even gave a rough estimate of a start date if selected. She then mentioned the next step is to take a “test”. I was nervous at first but soon found out it was a mini project that I had to do. I found this much more easier than answering a bunch stupid textbook quiz questions. Instead I was emailed a zip file that contained a complex Photoshop PSD file and some brief instructions that said I had to create a functional web page using only HTML, CSS, and Javascript that looks exactly like the PSD file. I had the weekend to do it. I actually had a lot of fun doing it, it was challenging and fun at the same time. I zipped my code and emailed it to HR. I got scheduled for an in person interview with the hiring manager at their Glenview, IL office the following week, so I assumed someone reviewed and approved of my project work. The Glenview office is an eye sore. It’s under construction, portions of the building have no lights, old desks and tables folded up against the wall. He showed me where I would be sitting , it’s a big open area with a bunch of empty cubicles that planned to get filled in the near future. The in person interview I thought went well, but apparently it went too well. The hiring manager seemed surprised to find out how much extensive programming and corporate experience I have. Although the job description was titled Web Developer and it did mentioned the typical languages like HTML, CSS, and Javascript, it also mentioned WordPress. Apparently what they are looking for is someone with 80% WordPress and only 20% actual programming. I’m just the opposite, I have about 80% programming and only 20% exposure to Content Management Systems, none with WordPress. He didn’t even mentioned the project that I done, I’m not even sure if he was even aware of it. He did however mentioned that this position has very little coding involved. I received a personalized rejection notice two days later, which to me says they weren’t really looking for a Senior Web Developer, they were really looking for a Junior WordPress publisher.

Interview Questions

• No hard questions, just a design project that had to be done in a short amount of time.   Answer Question