Pearson Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The process can be fast or slow depending on the people you're working with. I was lucky to work with competent reps who had me at the project round just a few weeks after initially submitting my application online. I would have pursued the opportunity further, if only to interact with the reps again, but an opportunity closer to my skill set appeared before I could complete the project round.

Interview Questions

• You'll be tasked with acting as a pseudo-representative and visiting a college or university of your choice in order to gauge the textbook/software situation at that institution, after which you'll write a brief report on how you would employ Pearson's solutions there.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Pearson

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

Hard to reach people within the company. Never heard response after second interview. The interview process was lengthy. It took over three months when it was all said and done.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

Interview

Several interviews with different divisions of the company; including marketing, custom and technology sales, as well as the division president. A campus project is required and will take at least two to three days to complete.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pearson in August 2014.

Interview

Was contacted soon after applying online for this position. I had an initial 30 minute phone conversation with the regional sales manager and received an email the next day to come in for an in person interview. I was under the impression this would be with more than one person, but it was the same person I spoke to on the phone. The only thing we did in the interview was a "resume walk through", where I was asked to explain every detail on my resume, including why I accepted (and left) every job I'd had. I did not receive any follow up after this interview, though I was advised to expect at least 2 more steps in the process. 4-5 interviews seemed a bit excessive to me for this position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked twice was my college GPA was. I really didn't think this was relevant, given that I graduated 10 years ago and had 10 years of relevant work experience to show.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

5 step process that includes phone, two face to face interviews, a campus project and a phone interview with the VP of sales.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Pearson.

Interview

1.Initial HR Interview Phone Screen (20 Minutes)
    2. Phone Interview with District Director (Hiring Manager) (30 minutes)
    3. In-person interview with District Director (Hiring Manager) (1 hour)
        ....asked to sell something, asked a lot of questions about my resume and situational questions about things I've done in past jobs...
    4. Asked to do a Campus Project, was given 3 business days and involved going to a campus and interviewing several chairs and professors and then creating a blog to summarize all of my findings.
    5. Asked to do an analysis project where I was given data sets to analyze and created PowerPoint to break it down and make recommendations...
    6. Skype interview with Regional Manager (40 minutes)
    ....same type of questions as in the last...
    7. Phone Interview V.P. of Training (20 minutes)
    8. In-person interview out of state with Regional Manager (1 hour 15 minutes)
    9. Skype interview with Vice President of Sales

Interview Questions

• The projects were time consuming and so very difficult since I have a job already right now... Questions were really not that difficult -- most revolved around past work experiences. But be prepared to "Sale" them something. Whether it be something on the table in an early interview or an actual Pearson product in the later interviews. Know why you want to work with the company and be convincing in why you would be good at it and how you have the skills and drive required to succeed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Boston, MA).

Interview

Very long process as others have said. Phone screening, then face to face, then the project which was very time consuming, then another face to face. After all that I didn't hear anything for a few weeks before getting turned down for the job. I can't say I didn't learn a lot from the experience though.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (Columbus, OH) in May 2012.

Interview

Typical sales interview - On the spot sales role-play. Pretty long - over an hour I was in the one to one interview with district sales manager who was same person with whom I had phone interview. Was given a campus project to complete during the exact week of my finals and graduation so obviously couldn't give it the attention they were looking for and was not moved on the next round.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Pearson (Dallas, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

The process started with a pre-screen email requiring a written response to 10 full blown interview questions. This was followed by a very casual phone interview.

Typical questions for a sales interview, however I was put off by questions about my college days, especially seeing as I graduated 8 years ago.

-"Did you have a job during college?"

-Me: Yes. Part time waiting tables.

-"Why?"

-Me: Excuse me?

-"Why did you have to work during college?"

This did not seem relevant to my current skills or qualifications. I reluctantly engaged the interviewer and passed on the next in person interview.

The in person interview was with the sales manager. Very cordial, very typical account manager interview questions, including the "Sell me this pen" routine. There was another exchange regarding my college experience that I found inappropriate for a Fortune 500 company interview. This followed another conversation about my college experience.

-"How did you pay for college?"

-"Did you take out any student loans?"

Again, questions like these strike me as too personal and revealing socio-economic factors that in no way should be used in qualifying candidates for any position.

Both interviews involved lots of talk about one's ability to work extended hours, go above and beyond, exceed expectations, and sell aggressively. Pretty typical. I detected little passion for the product or for the field of education in general.

I was next told to do a "campus project" consisting of spending a full day on a college campus to interview 15-20 professors about their impressions of Pearson. I was to create a report and presentation to present for final consideration. I was given 3 business days to complete the assignment. Most striking was I was not to identify myself as a Pearson rep, but "as a candidate researching the position for my own benefit." That would be true, if it were not mandated as the next step in the interview process.

I was given the names and phone numbers of local reps to interview prior to the campus project. Perhaps not a great idea, as I came away from the conversations with a negative impression of what life would be like as a Sales Rep.

Overall the entire interview experience eroded my enthusiasm for working with Pearson, and I withdrew my application.

Interview Questions

• Why did you work during college?   1 Answer
    • How did you pay for college? Did you take loans?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pearson (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Two rounds of Q&A w/ manager, one w/ HR, one with VP. Questions are behavioral; they want you to describe situations using specific examples. As much about motivation and goals as specific questions about the position. First interview was at a Starbucks and was relaxed. Hiring manager was involved throughout.

Interview Questions

• How do you structure effective territory planning?   1 Answer