Pearson

Updated Nov 3, 2014

3.7

18 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

Several interviews with different divisions of the company; including marketing, custom and technology sales, as well as the division president. A campus project is required and will take at least two to three days to complete.

Other Interview Reviews for Pearson

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pearson in August 2014.

Was contacted soon after applying online for this position. I had an initial 30 minute phone conversation with the regional sales manager and received an email the next day to come in for an in person interview. I was under the impression this would be with more than one person, but it was the same person I spoke to on the phone. The only thing we did in the interview was a "resume walk through", where I was asked to explain every detail on my resume, including why I accepted (and left) every job I'd had. I did not receive any follow up after this interview, though I was advised to expect at least 2 more steps in the process. 4-5 interviews seemed a bit excessive to me for this position.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked twice was my college GPA was. I really didn't think this was relevant, given that I graduated 10 years ago and had 10 years of relevant work experience to show.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

5 step process that includes phone, two face to face interviews, a campus project and a phone interview with the VP of sales.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pearson.

1.Initial HR Interview Phone Screen (20 Minutes)
    2. Phone Interview with District Director (Hiring Manager) (30 minutes)
    3. In-person interview with District Director (Hiring Manager) (1 hour)
        ....asked to sell something, asked a lot of questions about my resume and situational questions about things I've done in past jobs...
    4. Asked to do a Campus Project, was given 3 business days and involved going to a campus and interviewing several chairs and professors and then creating a blog to summarize all of my findings.
    5. Asked to do an analysis project where I was given data sets to analyze and created PowerPoint to break it down and make recommendations...
    6. Skype interview with Regional Manager (40 minutes)
    ....same type of questions as in the last...
    7. Phone Interview V.P. of Training (20 minutes)
    8. In-person interview out of state with Regional Manager (1 hour 15 minutes)
    9. Skype interview with Vice President of Sales

Interview Questions
    • The projects were time consuming and so very difficult since I have a job already right now... Questions were really not that difficult -- most revolved around past work experiences. But be prepared to "Sale" them something. Whether it be something on the table in an early interview or an actual Pearson product in the later interviews. Know why you want to work with the company and be convincing in why you would be good at it and how you have the skills and drive required to succeed.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pearson.

Very long process as others have said. Phone screening, then face to face, then the project which was very time consuming, then another face to face. After all that I didn't hear anything for a few weeks before getting turned down for the job. I can't say I didn't learn a lot from the experience though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in May 2012.

Typical sales interview - On the spot sales role-play. Pretty long - over an hour I was in the one to one interview with district sales manager who was same person with whom I had phone interview. Was given a campus project to complete during the exact week of my finals and graduation so obviously couldn't give it the attention they were looking for and was not moved on the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Pearson in April 2012.

The process started with a pre-screen email requiring a written response to 10 full blown interview questions. This was followed by a very casual phone interview.

Typical questions for a sales interview, however I was put off by questions about my college days, especially seeing as I graduated 8 years ago.

-"Did you have a job during college?"

-Me: Yes. Part time waiting tables.

-"Why?"

-Me: Excuse me?

-"Why did you have to work during college?"

This did not seem relevant to my current skills or qualifications. I reluctantly engaged the interviewer and passed on the next in person interview.

The in person interview was with the sales manager. Very cordial, very typical account manager interview questions, including the "Sell me this pen" routine. There was another exchange regarding my college experience that I found inappropriate for a Fortune 500 company interview. This followed another conversation about my college experience.

-"How did you pay for college?"

-"Did you take out any student loans?"

Again, questions like these strike me as too personal and revealing socio-economic factors that in no way should be used in qualifying candidates for any position.

Both interviews involved lots of talk about one's ability to work extended hours, go above and beyond, exceed expectations, and sell aggressively. Pretty typical. I detected little passion for the product or for the field of education in general.

I was next told to do a "campus project" consisting of spending a full day on a college campus to interview 15-20 professors about their impressions of Pearson. I was to create a report and presentation to present for final consideration. I was given 3 business days to complete the assignment. Most striking was I was not to identify myself as a Pearson rep, but "as a candidate researching the position for my own benefit." That would be true, if it were not mandated as the next step in the interview process.

I was given the names and phone numbers of local reps to interview prior to the campus project. Perhaps not a great idea, as I came away from the conversations with a negative impression of what life would be like as a Sales Rep.

Overall the entire interview experience eroded my enthusiasm for working with Pearson, and I withdrew my application.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you work during college?   View Answer
    • How did you pay for college? Did you take loans?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Pearson in December 2010.

Varies, but generally consists of 3 or more interviews, including phone and in-person interviews. Interview with district manager, assistant vice president, and vice president of division. Others have had interviews with marketing managers and editors. I personally had three phone interviews and one in-person interview with the position manager.

Interview Questions
    • What are your five year market predictions for the for-profit college market?   Answer Question
    Negotiations were non-existent. I was made an offer and had to accept or decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Pearson in August 2010.

The phone interview was fairly basic. I was rather unprepared, thinking it would be a much smaller interview just to get my information and set up an in person interview. I have never had a phone interview before since I am fairly fresh out of college, but I found it very impersonal and sadly feel as though I was unable to represent myself. Although that could be due to my lack of preparation.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a professional situation when you had a disagreement. Explain the situation, what you did about it, and what the outcome was.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Pearson in February 2010.

Six to weeks interviewing, campus project, role playing close

Interview Questions

Another position better matched my skill set