Peet's

Getting the Interview

28 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Barista Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Peet's.

Interview Details – They wanted to know why I would choose Peet's over other coffee shops. They wanted to know a lot about my previous interactions with co-workers and how I handled difficult employee interactions. Literally one of the questions was "why do you think it's important to listen?".

Interview Question – I was surprised by how much the questions were focused on the team interaction. They don't care so much if you as an individual are a "super-star" employee, they want to know if you're a team player. I could tell between both interviews that the manager and assistant manager were really trying to tell if I was being "real" or just giving the text book answers.   Answer Question

Manhattan Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Peet's in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. The first was over the phone asking me how I would react to certain situations. The second was a one-on-one where she basically asks similar questions just worded differently.

Interview Question – The question was, "Have you ever been in a situation where someone who was part of your group didn't understand something and if so, how did you help them?"   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Peet's.

Interview Details – Networking.

Interview Question – Do you know various ways of making coffee drinks?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Retail Sales and Barista Interview

Retail Sales and Barista
Walnut Creek, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Peet's in April 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process was actually pretty laid back. I came upon the job by complete accident because I worked at Starbucks and used to come into Peet's all the time and was offered the job based on my experience as a barista. Easy laid back interview, easy training.

Interview Question – What do you expect from Peet's?   View Answer

Barista

Interviewed at Peet's

Interview Details – two interviews

Interview Question – difficult customer service situation   Answer Question

Retail Sales and Barista Interview

Retail Sales and Barista

I applied in-person - interviewed at Peet's in August 2010.

Interview Details – Print out and fill out an online application and apply in person. A response phone call within five days. Interview was set up within the next two days and a brief 15-20 minute interview session regarding previous customer service experience. Usually held in the corner of the store you are applying for with Store Manager.

Interview Question – "Describe your most difficult customer experience and how you handled the situation."   Answer Question

Customer Service/Barista Interview

Interviewed at Peet's

Interview Details – I went to a job fair and was interviewed by a manager, then sent to their location to interview with the ASM. Pretty straight forward questions about experience in food service/coffee. Specific questions included: How do you deal with an angry customer? Are you planning a trip in the next 6 months? But lots of the questions aren't just about your answer- they want to see if you are friendly and seem nice to be around. Its a team environment so they want to make sure you are a people person.

Interview Question – How to deal with an angry customer. Because nobody likes doing it, but the company is definitely a "customer is always right" kind of company to keep that in mind when answering.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is really no negotiation. You start at minimum wage. Thats it.

Very Easy Interview

Retail Associate Interview

Retail Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Peet's in May 2011.

Interview Details – There is potentially a pre-interview phone screening. If you apply, study the Peet's website and figure out how to articulate why you want to join Peet's specifically--roast to order, good experiences, etc. Give a good example of the customer service philosophy you have, how you would deal with conflicts. It's all all experience and situational. Be yourself and be friendly! As a former manager, I can tell you that it's not about experience, it's about that "it" factor of warmth and openness. They can train the rest.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a difficult/upset/angry customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, period. They pay minimum wage for retail associates, unless you are a re-hire.

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Peet's.

Interview Details – I moved up within the company from retail associate and along the way was asked about how I managed people, coached and developed them, and handled difficult customer situations.

Interview Question – How do you manage an underperforming employee?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Peet's offered me a salary that was a small increase on my hourly wage, and I came back with a counteroffer, which they agreed to, though they say they "never" negotiate.

Product Planning Interview

Emeryville, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Peet's.

Interview Details – The HR at Peet's was extremely friendly. She gave me a phone interview a couple days before the actual interview and was pleasant to talk to. She even gave me an office tour after the in person interview and told me many interesting facts about the company.

The actual in person interview went just fine. The hiring manager seems dry and was a bit difficult to make a connection with. She seems like a nice person but was very serious during the whole interview process.

I didn't get the job at the end because the position was not a good fit with my background. But even if I got the job, I would be hesitant to working under the hiring manager because of how she was during the interview.

Interview Question – There was no particular questions that was asked during the interview. It was mostly asking about your planning experience and your skill set.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Peet's

Worked for Peet's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Peet's interview questions and advice. All 28 interview reviews posted anonymously by Peet's employees and interview candidates.