Pegasystems

2.9

Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems in August 2011.

The interview process consisted of a phone screen, followed by a phone interview, and eventually an in person interview at their Boston HQ. It was an all day event, consisting of a presentation by the director and then 3 short 1:1 interviews. Overall fairly easy and standard questions. No behavioral questions; all the interviews consisted of just a resume walk through.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems in August 2011.

Phone Screen:
    I was contacted by the HR rep. She scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. The manager seemed nice and asked detailed language related questions from java collections, generics, serialization, threading, design patterns, etc. Some of the topics were a little over my head but I managed to get a positive result.

Interview 1:
    I was asked to come in for an interview and also fill in employment application. It lasted for about 3 hrs. I met with the hiring manager and the principle/senior engineers. I was asked logic questions, a couple of java programming questions, and database questions. The interview went well and I was asked to come in for a second round.

Interview 2:
    Met with manager at first, he issued concerns about my salary requirements and then we went on with the interview. I met with some senior/junior engineers, the interview was much more technical than the first one. I was asked to go to the board and write code, draw graphs of sql join diagrams, write another programming question, explain every data structure I know, every sorting algorithm I know, write complex MySql queries, etc.

Post Interview 1
    The overall interview was positive and we began salary negotiations. Manager ended up low-balling me on my salary requirements and the picture became clear from interview 2. Tactics such as "you don't have enough experience" and "your not a senior engineer", "what if I pay you X will you accept" were used. Beware that they pay 10%+ below market. Anyways, manager asked if I would accept the position if offered at below my requirements. I said no and asked him to follow-up with anything that he can do to make it work out.

Post Interview 2
    Manager followed up but had made his mind that he wasn't going to budge. Didn't find that out until later. First told me about the amazing things about working with them and how they engaged in team building and outings the previous day. Next, he filled me in on his decision and hung up. Unfortunately, a positive interview experience went south fast.

Interview Questions
    • If you have a large rock on a boat in a lake and then you throw the rock into the water, do you expect the lake level to rise or fall?   View Answer

Senior Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems in July 2011.

The interview was quite simple. They asked for a presentation 24 hours before I flew to Boston. I think that the idea is that anybody who know programming will get selected.

Interview Questions
    The offered salary was in the range I was thinking so I accepted it.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pegasystems in March 2011.

Long and drawn out hiring cycle mainly because they had to create new job title for me based on skillset match.

Interview Questions
    • Illustrate the architecture for an application hosted on the cloud.   Answer Question

Lead Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pegasystems in March 2011.

I was a somewhat passive candidate that first spoke with a recruiter right before the holidays (after Thanksgiving but before Christmas). The culture is very engineering oriented (and most of the stereotypes that go with that - male dominant, socially awkward but also smart and energetic people). The people I spoke with behaved exactly the same after I was hired, no games there.

Interview Questions
    • We're going to make you take some exams, you will be expected to pass them. Is that OK?   Answer Question
    • Would you be OK with traveling to India?   Answer Question
    My negotiation went well, there were no surprises and I think it was fair. The offer was made in the expected time frame and contained exactly what we had discussed.

Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems in December 2010.

I had a screening interview with HR to make sure I could talk the talk. Then two phone interviews with potential colleagues. After making that cut, went on-site in Cambridge for the "cattle call" (a.k.a. "interview day"). The group was assured that everyone who was qualified would get a job offer - no competition between candidates. I had just 2 face-to-face interviews and two presentations (one informal, one formal). Overall, a fairly smooth process if you're not attached to an idea of how an interview "should" go.

Interview Questions
    • What vertical industries do you have experience with?   View Answer
    I checked Glassdoor and saw that the compensation package I was getting was in line with others. I didn't bother haggling - getting in the door with a rapidly growing, progressive company was most important to me.

SSA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems in December 2010.

interesting interview day.

Director Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Pegasystems in February 2010.

Received call from internal recruiter which lead to a face to face with hiring manager two days later. That was followed by three visits to office for face to face interviews and two phone interviews with a specific senior manager. Very long drawn out process.

Pretty straight forward

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pegasystems in December 2009.

The recruiter was pleasent and organized but not knowledgeable about the position or company. The interviewers were ill prepared, did not allocate enough time for the actual interview and were confused about the position requirements and title.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pegasystems in May 2009.

Recruiter contacted me via phone. I participated in a phone interview to identify my skill-set and knowledge. Provided travel to Pegasystems office in MA where there was an interview day of multiple interviews with different personnel amd also included a technical presentation. It was unorganized and additionally I wasn't told to prepare a presentation, while other candidates were told at least a week in advance and had time to prepare. Other candidates arrived with Powerpoint presentations in hand. I never heard from a representative from pegasystems afer my interview. Pegasystems did provide for all travel and related expenses, but I thought it extremely unprofessionally to have never been given a decision one way or the other on the reulsts of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions without a real context. Many of them are available in reference books and have very little to do with implementation level knowledge and the ability to implement technical solutions. I don't think it really matters if a person has database return codes memorized.   Answer Question