Pegasystems Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2015

3.1

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Pegasystems in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted after giving them my resume a career fair. Had a 30 minute phone interview with a senior engineering manager. She gave me an overview of the program and the workplace environment, and then asked me some questions about Java (this was my language of choice), such as the difference between an abstract class and interface, what is a JVM.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a StringBuffer and a String   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Pegasystems

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiter was very basic. A brief introduction of the company history and then we went over the technical skill requirements for the position. A week after the phone interview I went for a group technical interview. Brief introductions again to high level team members and discussed the product and software used. Afterwards we went into the technical questions followed by whiteboard coding.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Pegasystems.

Interview

Initially met at a job fair and was invited to an interview at their Cambridge, MA location. It was about 6 hours of interviewing during which I was asked technical questions about programming, specifically Java, and team management type questions. I met with members of several different teams and also had to take a 1 hour on-paper test to determine programming skils. The new office was quite nice, and everyone was pretty friendly.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I would deal with a software project that was running behind schedule and there was no way to get the required functionality completed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Pegasystems (Boston, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Interview was fairly straight forward. First session with HR to discuss opportunities and salary requirement. Onsite interview was scheduled promptly in the following week. In person interview comprised of technical written test as well as 1:1 session with manager and few other folks. Initial verbal offer from HR and lengthy negotiation process which lasted for about couple of weeks before the final offer was tendered.

Negotiation

Pega tends to low ball most of the prospective employees. Have another offer in hand and be ready to put your foot down.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems (Cupertino, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Phone Screen:
    I was contacted by the HR rep. She scheduled a phone interview with the hiring manager. The manager seemed nice and asked detailed language related questions from java collections, generics, serialization, threading, design patterns, etc. Some of the topics were a little over my head but I managed to get a positive result.

Interview 1:
    I was asked to come in for an interview and also fill in employment application. It lasted for about 3 hrs. I met with the hiring manager and the principle/senior engineers. I was asked logic questions, a couple of java programming questions, and database questions. The interview went well and I was asked to come in for a second round.

Interview 2:
    Met with manager at first, he issued concerns about my salary requirements and then we went on with the interview. I met with some senior/junior engineers, the interview was much more technical than the first one. I was asked to go to the board and write code, draw graphs of sql join diagrams, write another programming question, explain every data structure I know, every sorting algorithm I know, write complex MySql queries, etc.

Post Interview 1
    The overall interview was positive and we began salary negotiations. Manager ended up low-balling me on my salary requirements and the picture became clear from interview 2. Tactics such as "you don't have enough experience" and "your not a senior engineer", "what if I pay you X will you accept" were used. Beware that they pay 10%+ below market. Anyways, manager asked if I would accept the position if offered at below my requirements. I said no and asked him to follow-up with anything that he can do to make it work out.

Post Interview 2
    Manager followed up but had made his mind that he wasn't going to budge. Didn't find that out until later. First told me about the amazing things about working with them and how they engaged in team building and outings the previous day. Next, he filled me in on his decision and hung up. Unfortunately, a positive interview experience went south fast.

Interview Questions

• If you have a large rock on a boat in a lake and then you throw the rock into the water, do you expect the lake level to rise or fall?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderābād (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems (Hyderābād (India)) in April 2015.

Interview

Written test on java and aptitude. Next 3level technical interviews. But i dnt cleared 1st tech interview. Total process took almost 3weeks. I attended for java postion but he asked other than java.he didnt asked about the projects that i have worked.And gave an advice ��

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pegasystems.

Interview

Overall interview process took 5 working days.

Monday - Online test ( Aptitude and Technical questions)
    Over all 50 marks , don't know the Pass cut off.

Wednesday - 2 technical rounds
    Thursday - Director round & HR
    Friday - Compensation discussion over phone

Interview Questions

• More technical questions which related to experience & Projects.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pegasystems in December 2014.

Interview

Recruter found me on linkedin. I had 2 phone interviews, one with recruiter and one with team manager. Than other recruiter set up an interview with a team manager. At the interview, it turned out that the manager is sick and conversation was led by two developers. They gave me to do a quiz on the front-end developer, from time to time by asking their own questions. Overall, the atmosphere was very friendly, and the conversation itself quite loose.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pegasystems (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in December 2014.

Interview

I had a phone call with a recruiter who informed me that i will have an aptitude test (a personality test) to determine what kind of fit I would be.
    The test was in form of a list of qualities that i describe myself with or that i present myself as. Honestly, a bunch of BS.
    The real interview was an onsite interview with the technical lead and a senior engineer.
    They described the company as being a vibrant startup-like environment and mentioned that they have a majority stockholder that allows them to keep the decision process quick.
    In reality the office appeared dull and sterile, and I had the impression that staff wasn't really happy there.
    They asked me to present myself and then presented the company, and then proceeded to give me a coding test I should execute using pen and paper. Yep. PAPER.

Interview Questions

• Implment basic algorithms such as fibonacci, yet on paper it's difficult to write clean and perfect code.
      Use of a laptop and pair programming would have been a better approach IMHO.

Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warangal (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Pegasystems (Warangal (India)) in October 2014.

Interview

aptitude and java questions were asked in first round.followed by interview and h.rIn the first round aptitude was given preference i.e 2 marks for 1 question where as 1 mark for java questions.technical round was bit difficult