Penguin Group

3.1

Interviews for Top Jobs at Penguin Group

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Penguin Group in April 2012.

Hard to get through to HR, but once they read your resume they'll respond. Phone interview and in-person interview... first HR was very formal/standard, and then in-person with the managers was much more relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • The original HR interview was very standard, what are your weaknesses, your strengths in the office?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is important in a work relationship?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Penguin Group in August 2011.

Very thorough interview covering experience and contacts. Relaxed atmosphere. Professional follow-up detailing how long the interview process would take and they responded when the desicion was made.

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penguin Group in June 2011.

The environment and dress was business causal. The building was imposing--be there early! You will need to present ID at the front desk of the building, and get a pass to go through the security gates. Then you may need to fill out additional paperwork once you're waiting in the lobby.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penguin Group in September 2010.

HR was very quick to respond to my application. They phoned within a day or two to conduct a phone interview, which lasted about 20 minutes. Directly following the call I was invited to an in-office interview. It took place the following week and I met with staff from HR and the sales department. The HR part consisted of the typical HR questions: tell me about a time when.... you had to improvise, work with someone you didn't get along with, etc. The part where I met people in the department was really laid back. It was a run through of my resume and chit chat about what I was reading at the moment. All in all, a good interview experience. It took more than 2 two weeks for them to get back to me -- twice as long as they had said.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you were involved in a workplace conflict and how it was resolved.   Answer Question

Production Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Penguin Group in March 2010.

There was one phone call, followed relatively soon by an HR interview.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time a former supervisor gave you criticism.   View Answer

Publicity Assistant Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Penguin Group in June 2010.

The people in HR are really cold, but everyone else in the company is very nice and interesting. Getting beyond the HR interview is a pinch, but in my experience, it was hard to win over the department interviewer. They ask you about your interests, why you'd like to work in publishing, and what books you read. I barely got a chance to talk about the experience I have and what I could bring to the position. Although I felt overprepared for the interview, they still didn't offer me a position.

Interview Questions
    • What is one example of criticism you've received in a past job?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penguin Group in April 2009.

Met with department head and HR. They asked for references.

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult situation you faced at work and how you handled it.   Answer Question