Penn National Gaming Administrative Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Penn National Gaming (Columbus, OH) in June 2012.

Interview

This is for the Columbus, Ohio casino which is not yet open. All applications are on line. I got an email stating that I had been selected to interview. I had to go online and select an interview time.

Got to the interview and found 24 other people there who were applying for various positions. We all had name tags. We were all seated on one side of a large room. An HR staffer asked us what the number one priority is for all employees. It's "Have fun!". Remember that, it's important. After that he had us all get up and dance. Then he explained that they were looking for personality during the session and that we had to let it shine. We all had to give our names and the position we were there for. Many were there for dealer positions as the last class for dealers was starting soon. A few said they were there for security positions and there were a few admins.

The first gentleman and another HR staffer divided the group in two and toured us through the hiring center. That took about 10 minutes. Questions were encouraged. After that, they took the dealers to the other side of the room and gave them a 50 question math test. They gave them 3 minutes for it. While the dealers were testing, we non-dealers got to fire questions at a staffer (head of slots). We took advantage and almost everyone talked to him since it was impressed upon us that we had to be able to easily strike up a conversation with a complete stranger.

They used a template and graded the math test immediately. When they were satisfied that everyone did "well enough" on that, they lead us all into a room with three rows of chairs. We packed in. The staff stood to the front and played a game of 2 truths and a lie with us by way of staff introductions. There were 5 total staff including the 2 HR, the head of slots and the head of table games. We were supposed to guess the lie each told. They were paying attention to who was speaking when we were guessing. They then divided the room up into three groups and had us do a 5 minute group exercise about making plans for opening night. The 5 walked around the room and paid very close attention to who was interacting in the groups. Each group picked a spokesperson to present and they paid attention to both that person and anything said or done by other group members to assist that person. They redivided the room into 3 different groups and had us do another 5 minute group discussion followed by a presentation about community involvement for the casino. They did all the same things - listening, watching...

Finally, they had us reorganize the room and then they had us each get up (randomly, when you were ready) and tell one goal we had for ourselves for the future or that we had attained in the past that did not have anything to do with getting a job there. As soon as the last person went, they said we're going to leave the room and deliberate. All 5 walked out of the room. They were gone 10 minutes at the very most. It probably wasn't even that long. When they came back they called names to come out of the room. About 20-21 people were called out. We made it, the others did not.

They took us out to the opposite side of the room we started on and called us back for very brief 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 interviews. The dealers were 2 at a time. That interview, for me was just a very quick run-down of my background. It was less than 5 minutes. During it, I was told that I had passed the biggest hurdle, the panel interview, and that I would be offered/hired for a position as long as I could pass a drug screen and I qualified for an Ohio gaming license (pass a strict criminal background check) because all gaming and back of house employees have to have one. I was informed there were still more panels interviews to be conducted for the exact position I applied for before they brought 4-5 back for a more traditional interview but I was encouraged to apply for other admin positions as a place would be found for me and I would not have to do the panel again. I found that to be encouraging and it seemed above board. The whole process took about 1.5 hours.

The last panels were today. I'm still waiting to hear if I'll be invited back for a deeper interview about the original job. In the meantime, I have applied for a couple of others that look appealing. I got an email about filling out the security questionnaire and I've done that. My understanding is that it won't be processed until they're prepared to make an offer.

As a side note, several dealers were hired on the spot. They had to go next door and get registered for class. I don't know the hiring process beyond the panel for the security applicants.

If you're shy, don't put yourself through this. If you're outgoing you'll be fine. If you're somewhere in between, tell yourself that you've known these people or people like them forever and just make conversation with them. You'll get through it before you know it.

Interview Questions

• One personal goal you have for yourself that does not involve working at the casino.   1 Answer