Penn National Gaming

2.5

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Penn National Gaming.

The job was detailed perfectly and the staff was excellent in providing answers to all of my questions. They go over every single part of the process you'll be going through. It's very helpful and makes you feel at ease when speaking one on one with staff. Room for more opportunities is available (they let you know this as well).

Interview Questions
    • I think the most difficult, like any interview, is what my intentions are for a salary pay.   Answer Question
    I was able to up a few dollars due to relocation and the job was going to be somewhere not near enough what I needed to live in the city.

Food and Beverage Interview

Penn National Gaming wonderful, fresh, and exciting little poster boards displayed around the newly reconstructed casino. The hiring interview, the very first one with the back of house office crew was very relaxed and inviting. The second interview with the second set of back of the house staff was with the Executive Chef, and his partner was different. It was no where near as relaxed as the first one. Most of the questions asked were not stated very well, making most questions difficult to comprehend.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were difficult due to the fact that they were stated in a different manner.   Answer Question
    Great negotiation phase, quick and easy. If you want more than minimum wage years of experience is highly recommended.

Part-Time Bartender Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Penn National Gaming.

As previously described, the interview process in unlike any I have ever experienced. Probably because they hire en-masse, they bring everyone in like a cattle call, 30-40 people in the room, with several HR staffers at the head of the room, ask you to perform a team exercise and they walk around and observe as the people are doing this.

After the panel interview, they told us that we all "passed" and handed out drug testing paperwork. You must get the drug test within 24 hours of the interview so pay attention to the times that the labs are open! I almost missed mine because I didnt realize that the lab was only open until 3pm!

The next step is that you receive an email from Penn National asking you to fill out references and agree to a background check. This is also time-sensitive!!

I filled out all information and one of my references called me to say that he did, indeed receive a call from Penn National and that he had given me a shining reference!

Unfortunately that was back in May.

I have heard nothing else regarding the job.

I wish that Penn National would extend the courtesy of sending a "decline" email if the person was not selected for the position. It doesnt seem right to just leave people hanging and wondering what happened.

Interview Questions
    • You have to stand up in front of the group and state one of your personal goals.   Answer Question

Player Services Cage Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in July 2012.

The hiring process was different, but fun something I've never experienced for a job interview. Since It was still in the process of being built all interviews were off site. Anyway they had panel interviews 3 people from upper management and then about 15 other applicants basically it was who ever caught there eye moved on to the next round then the following round was just normal interview process.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions panels were whoever could outshine the other applicants they wants to see creativity, goals, values, a outgoing person. second round interviews were just basic interview questions - tell me why we should hire you-what makes you the best candidate-tell me about your job history- why are you seeking other employment.   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in June 2012.

This is for the Columbus, Ohio casino which is not yet open. All applications are on line. I got an email stating that I had been selected to interview. I had to go online and select an interview time.

Got to the interview and found 24 other people there who were applying for various positions. We all had name tags. We were all seated on one side of a large room. An HR staffer asked us what the number one priority is for all employees. It's "Have fun!". Remember that, it's important. After that he had us all get up and dance. Then he explained that they were looking for personality during the session and that we had to let it shine. We all had to give our names and the position we were there for. Many were there for dealer positions as the last class for dealers was starting soon. A few said they were there for security positions and there were a few admins.

The first gentleman and another HR staffer divided the group in two and toured us through the hiring center. That took about 10 minutes. Questions were encouraged. After that, they took the dealers to the other side of the room and gave them a 50 question math test. They gave them 3 minutes for it. While the dealers were testing, we non-dealers got to fire questions at a staffer (head of slots). We took advantage and almost everyone talked to him since it was impressed upon us that we had to be able to easily strike up a conversation with a complete stranger.

They used a template and graded the math test immediately. When they were satisfied that everyone did "well enough" on that, they lead us all into a room with three rows of chairs. We packed in. The staff stood to the front and played a game of 2 truths and a lie with us by way of staff introductions. There were 5 total staff including the 2 HR, the head of slots and the head of table games. We were supposed to guess the lie each told. They were paying attention to who was speaking when we were guessing. They then divided the room up into three groups and had us do a 5 minute group exercise about making plans for opening night. The 5 walked around the room and paid very close attention to who was interacting in the groups. Each group picked a spokesperson to present and they paid attention to both that person and anything said or done by other group members to assist that person. They redivided the room into 3 different groups and had us do another 5 minute group discussion followed by a presentation about community involvement for the casino. They did all the same things - listening, watching...

Finally, they had us reorganize the room and then they had us each get up (randomly, when you were ready) and tell one goal we had for ourselves for the future or that we had attained in the past that did not have anything to do with getting a job there. As soon as the last person went, they said we're going to leave the room and deliberate. All 5 walked out of the room. They were gone 10 minutes at the very most. It probably wasn't even that long. When they came back they called names to come out of the room. About 20-21 people were called out. We made it, the others did not.

They took us out to the opposite side of the room we started on and called us back for very brief 1 on 1 and 1 on 2 interviews. The dealers were 2 at a time. That interview, for me was just a very quick run-down of my background. It was less than 5 minutes. During it, I was told that I had passed the biggest hurdle, the panel interview, and that I would be offered/hired for a position as long as I could pass a drug screen and I qualified for an Ohio gaming license (pass a strict criminal background check) because all gaming and back of house employees have to have one. I was informed there were still more panels interviews to be conducted for the exact position I applied for before they brought 4-5 back for a more traditional interview but I was encouraged to apply for other admin positions as a place would be found for me and I would not have to do the panel again. I found that to be encouraging and it seemed above board. The whole process took about 1.5 hours.

The last panels were today. I'm still waiting to hear if I'll be invited back for a deeper interview about the original job. In the meantime, I have applied for a couple of others that look appealing. I got an email about filling out the security questionnaire and I've done that. My understanding is that it won't be processed until they're prepared to make an offer.

As a side note, several dealers were hired on the spot. They had to go next door and get registered for class. I don't know the hiring process beyond the panel for the security applicants.

If you're shy, don't put yourself through this. If you're outgoing you'll be fine. If you're somewhere in between, tell yourself that you've known these people or people like them forever and just make conversation with them. You'll get through it before you know it.

Interview Questions
    • One personal goal you have for yourself that does not involve working at the casino.   View Answer

Dealer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in May 2012.

They talked about having fun. Then they gave a math test which I aced was the first one done. Then they asked two questions as part of a panel interview session and we were split up into groups and one of spoke the answer such as community service questions and they gave jobs to people I spoke. How come I didn't get hired. I spoke. Not everyone that got hired was from Ohio either.

Interview Questions
    • Two questions were asked that was not related to any previous dealer and we were in a group.   Answer Question

Player Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in January 2012.

Applied for a few jobs online in December, one day at 2:00 pm got an email to select interview times; checked email at 5:15 (because I was working); interview times gone; sent email, and they sent an email back saying more interview times will come in the next few weeks. Job fair opened up, and they sent an email to go to the job fair. Don't waste your time. Job fair from 3 - 6; got there 3:15, waited in line, standing, for 4 hours--all for a group interview with 2 questions--provide an example where you provided excellent customer service, and what is something unusual about yourself. 25 people in the group--basically a one or two minute interview. They said this was the final interview--if you applied for multiple jobs, this interview would suffice. They would get back to you. Got email this morning saying I wasn't selected for any job. Nothing makes me angrier than someone wasting my time. I feel they were just going through the motions--that they really didn't have jobs available, or the jobs were already taken. Nobody can judge you for a job in one minute; interview was a farce. Don't go to Bowling Green or Owens job fairs, waste of time.

Game Dealer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in October 2011.

I'm still in the process, but wanted to write on here just in case anyone wanted to know what it's like....

After submitting my application on the website I was directed to take a quick personality type exam. It was 60 some questions if I recall. Two days later I received an email that said I needed to schedule an interview. I logged on to their website and they had many different options. This was going to be a group interview.

There were about 25 of us in the group interview. Very diverse! We all stood up and gave our name, something unique about ourselves, one instance where we enhanced customer experience and whether we wanted FT or PT. After that we were given a simple math test. Now when I say simple, I mean simple! Addition, Subtraction and Division. You have 5 minutes to answer as many as you can. After you completed the exam you were taken to the other side of the office and they take you back one by one.

When I was called back we sat down and did the typical "Why do you want to work here?" "What makes you a good employee?" "In 2 minutes or less why should we hire you?"

***They are looking for your personality. The are not interested (this step) in your skills/exp. You need to be able to work a table and have a complete stranger come up to you and you seem like their best friend***

After the little 1 on 1 I was told I will hear something within 24 to 48 hours.

So......that was this morning....and I am waiting.....

...more to come

Cook II Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in February 2011.

I applied for a job online and got an email about 2 weeks later. They gave me directions and were very helpful.

The interview itself was fairly standred, and then had me fill out an online assesment, and told they would for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most challenging thing about your last job?   View Answer

Finance Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Penn National Gaming in August 2010.

The first contact was made via phone call and the call lasted about an hour. The material that was discussed concerned skills, experience (examples sited), and team orientation. The phone interview went well proven by the quickly scheduled group interview 2 days later. The group interview was conducted by 2 VP's and similar topics were discussed in line with those discussed via the phone interview mentioned earlier. Detailed questions were answered for me to provide enough backround to make a decision if an offer was to be made. About a half hour later, they called and presented an offer that was at the high end of my specified range.

Interview Questions
    • Hpw would you create demand in the department?   View Answer
    Non-existant...the original offer exceeded expectations.