Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Washington, DC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in February 2014.

Interview Details – Went through Campus hiring process. Submitted a resume and cover letter via my school's career website. The first round was a 30 minute interview on campus with someone from HR. The interview was really easy and was mostly a walk-me-through-your-resume interview, with some questions about why PSB and why market research. After that, you'll be given a short, simplified data set and will be asked to create a 10-slide powerpoint presentation on the data. Both the analysis and overall look of the powerpoint are important. Unfortunately, this will probably be around midterms/spring break. After this, you will come down to the DC office for a full day of interviews. You'll meet with analysts, PMs, a Director, and then the MD of the DC office. All will be relatively relaxed and behavioral/fit - no cases. People may ask you to walk them through how you did the ppt exercise however. But mostly questions about college, internships, why PSB/market research, and then behavioral questions. You'll also have a casual coffee break with analysts. Overall, this process will take a while, about 2 months.

Interview Question – - Tell me about a time you made a mistake
- Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly, like a new software product, and how you accomplished it
- Tell me about a time you had to handle a lot at once
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They will tell you that they do not negotiate and that everyone starts at the same salary level. This may be somewhat true in that there is limited flexibility but I also know that they have negotiated. For example, pushing back start dates, increase to annual salary, having them pay for housing, getting them to pay for moving costs. Push as much as you feel comfortable, knowing that the 'we don't negotiate' line is not true.

Vice President Interview

Vice President
Washington, DC

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in September 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred by someone I know for a senior-level position on the East Coast. I am in California, and it was not clear whether or not the position would require a relocation. I spoke to an HR person at the East Coast headquarters, who was very helpful. Ultimately, they decided not to fill the East Coast position, and they had just filled a position locally, so there was no opportunity that would fit for me.

Interview Question – It wasn't a single question, but to add a person in the West, they would have needed a "rainmaker" to bring in more business. That is not my area of expertise, so it was not a good fit.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in August 2010.

Interview Details – I applied online and heard back about 3 weeks later about scheduling an in-person interview with an HR person. That went well, and the next week I had a group interview with about 6 people at the office, plus brief phone interviews with directors who couldn't be there in person. They bumped me up to consideration for a Senior Analyst position whereas the advertised position was for a 'regular' Analyst. Following the group interview, I got a written homework assignment and was given a few days to complete it. I received an offer a few days after submitting that assignment.

The people at PSB were friendly and HR was accommodating with letting me schedule additional time with a couple people to ask extra questions. They wiggled a little on salary but ultimately I wasn't interested in the position more for reasons of fit, in terms of both the company and the position.

Interview Question – The homework writing assignment was unexpected (before the days of Glassdoor to know what was coming). It was not especially difficult but it was time consuming. They were looking for analysis and conclusions based on survey results.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was considering jumping from a smaller research firm, but ultimately the larger, more corporate feel of PSB didn't seem like a good fit for me.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted 2 weeks after submitting my app and phone screened by someone junior in the dept. I was called in for a mtg w/ the team and VP and given a take home assignment. All was going great except like many people have posted, after I spent 3 entire days on it, I heard nothing, even despite two pings about where I was in the process. So for those working and with many personal obligations, think twice about completing any writing or powerpt exercises. All that effort might not even be acknowledged.

Interview Question – The work environment is very demanding and can be stressful. How do you handle stress?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in April 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty casual interview. Interviewer was senior management and an analyst later joined the interview. Business casual for them. Asked to go through resume, interest in the industries I would be working with. Talked about other casual stuff. Got along pretty well but didn't think the senior management interviewer was super enthused for whatever reason.

Demonstrated some of their big-time client work which was impressive and sort of outlined what I would do.

Interview Question – Nothing really difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Bellevue, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates.

Interview Details – The interview process took about 45 minutes. I met with three people - two analysts and a project manager. The questions were almost entirely behavioral (this job definitely involves on-the-job training, you're not expected to know how to use any of their programs when starting). The office is quite collaborative so they're looking for people who are excited about working on a team. Having interest or experience in market research is an obvious plus. I was called back within a week and offered the internship.

Interview Question – There was one "case" question about a chart that would be used to report the data. I absolutely failed that question and had to have it repeated several times. I have no idea how you would be expected to answer the question if you hadn't had exposure to market research in the past (which I hadn't) but other than that, the questions are easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, interns get paid $10/hour. I was able to set my own schedule though.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Market Research Analyst
Seattle, WA

I interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in February 2011.

Interview Details – First was a phone interview that was pretty standard. They did ask some questions to evaluate different hypothetical scenarios to test how you think. Then was an on-site interview that was more of that but with different teams. This seemed to be both a test of how you would fit in culturally as well as your actually skill.

Interview Question – Choose a large company and describe to us what you would do as their marketing strategy.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates.

Interview Details – There was a little back and forth and I was hired pretty last minute as an intern. At first I was told that they expected interns to work 28 hours a week, but then it turns out our set up changed so I only worked 20 (which was fine by me!) since there were two interns for our team.

Interview Question – Pretty straight forward interview, asked about my math, writing, and foreign language skills, nothing that really threw me for a loop though.   Answer Question

Market Research Analyst Interview

Market Research Analyst
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was quick and harmless - just asked briefly about prior experience and why I was interested in a new job. Was set up with an in-person interview where I met one-on-one with multiple people who spoke about how their team is set-up and what kinds of projects and responsibilities I could expect to have if I worked under them. Talked a lot about my previous experience and how it could translate to this role.

Interview Question – I was asked what companies I think make the best use out of their market research efforts which was hard to respond to since the only companies' whose market research efforts I was very familiar with were clients of mine I'd worked with previously.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in October 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through university career website, and was interviewed over the phone. A few days later they called back for a in person interview. The senior analysts are very experienced and very congenial. They offered great exposure to fundamentals of market research and analytic tools.

Interview Question – how have you demonstrated strengths in empirical analysis and the ability to communicate effectively?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates

Worked for Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates employees and interview candidates.