Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates

Updated Apr 4, 2015
Updated Apr 4, 2015

2.5

Market Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates.

Interview

I applied through my university careers website, and was contacted by HR a couple of weeks later to do an initial phone screening with two analysts from the New York office. The phone screen lasted about 30 minutes and they were very friendly, and just asked about my resume, experience, and some general behavioral questions. I heard back the following week from HR again and was asked to go in for an on-site interview. This interview was done by several groups of analysts in different phases. First I was interviewed by two analysts, then I was interviewed by three other analysts, then a project manager came in and interviewed me at the end. It lasted around two hours and they asked rather extensive behavioral/technical questions about my abilities and interest in the industry. Weeks later (and after sending several follow up e-mails), I received word from HR with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a company that you think has a great marketing strategy, and one that you think has a poor marketing strategy.   Answer Question
    • How do you handle a high stress situation, for example meeting several deadlines by the end of the day?   Answer Question
    • What about market research interests you and what are your long term career goals?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for intern pay.

Market Research Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates.

Interview

Simple Interview in person interview with 3 analysts, asked nearly only behavioral questions. It was an open process but they didn't tell me much about the job description or what I would be doing. Mainly wanted to know interest in Market research.

Interview Questions

• Asked about to come up with company and give examples of where they place on different graphs   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Market Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Bellevue, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

First, had phone interview with HR associate in DC office. Very short, less than 20 minutes and a basic overview of resume and why you are interested in this position, market research and PSB. Next, got a "writing assignment" where you analyze survey data and create a pseudo-client presentation. Took a long time, but had a few days to complete. If they like your analysis/powerpoint, they'll set up an in-person interview. Had three 1:1 interviews with 2 senior analysts and 1 director. Each was about 20-30 minutes. 2 included "case" questions, giving you examples of graphs they create for clients and how you interpret them. Asked a lot about previous experience with research. Wanted to know how you reason through graphs and data.

Interview Questions

• Describe and critique Microsoft's current/past marketing strategy. What would you do differently?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Bellevue, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Submitted a presentation that's primary focus was to see how your problem solving skills are, three person interview afterwards where they asked basic questions about my past work experience, how I went about the assignment/presentation, and what my opinions and knowledge was of technology/Microsoft

Interview Questions

• What is your opinion of Microsoft?
      What do you know about PSB?

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in May 2014.

Interview

Campus Recruiting. Conducted Tests and extensive interview. They were very professional in their process. They provided me with data and asked me to give the insight that I obtained from eyeballing the data set

Interview Questions

• How would you design a communication strategy in a crisis?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Washington, DC) in February 2014.

Interview

Went through Campus hiring process. Submitted a resume and cover letter via my school's career website. The first round was a 30 minute interview on campus with someone from HR. The interview was really easy and was mostly a walk-me-through-your-resume interview, with some questions about why PSB and why market research. After that, you'll be given a short, simplified data set and will be asked to create a 10-slide powerpoint presentation on the data. Both the analysis and overall look of the powerpoint are important. Unfortunately, this will probably be around midterms/spring break. After this, you will come down to the DC office for a full day of interviews. You'll meet with analysts, PMs, a Director, and then the MD of the DC office. All will be relatively relaxed and behavioral/fit - no cases. People may ask you to walk them through how you did the ppt exercise however. But mostly questions about college, internships, why PSB/market research, and then behavioral questions. You'll also have a casual coffee break with analysts. Overall, this process will take a while, about 2 months.

Interview Questions

• - Tell me about a time you made a mistake
      - Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly, like a new software product, and how you accomplished it
      - Tell me about a time you had to handle a lot at once

Answer Question

Negotiation

They will tell you that they do not negotiate and that everyone starts at the same salary level. This may be somewhat true in that there is limited flexibility but I also know that they have negotiated. For example, pushing back start dates, increase to annual salary, having them pay for housing, getting them to pay for moving costs. Push as much as you feel comfortable, knowing that the 'we don't negotiate' line is not true.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

The interview process took about 45 minutes. I met with three people - two analysts and a project manager. The questions were almost entirely behavioral (this job definitely involves on-the-job training, you're not expected to know how to use any of their programs when starting). The office is quite collaborative so they're looking for people who are excited about working on a team. Having interest or experience in market research is an obvious plus. I was called back within a week and offered the internship.

Interview Questions

• There was one "case" question about a chart that would be used to report the data. I absolutely failed that question and had to have it repeated several times. I have no idea how you would be expected to answer the question if you hadn't had exposure to market research in the past (which I hadn't) but other than that, the questions are easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, interns get paid $10/hour. I was able to set my own schedule though.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in April 2013.

Interview

Pretty casual interview. Interviewer was senior management and an analyst later joined the interview. Business casual for them. Asked to go through resume, interest in the industries I would be working with. Talked about other casual stuff. Got along pretty well but didn't think the senior management interviewer was super enthused for whatever reason.

Demonstrated some of their big-time client work which was impressive and sort of outlined what I would do.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Application

Interview

There was a little back and forth and I was hired pretty last minute as an intern. At first I was told that they expected interns to work 28 hours a week, but then it turns out our set up changed so I only worked 20 (which was fine by me!) since there were two interns for our team.

Interview Questions

• Pretty straight forward interview, asked about my math, writing, and foreign language skills, nothing that really threw me for a loop though.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates (New York, NY) in June 2012.

Interview

I was contacted 2 weeks after submitting my app and phone screened by someone junior in the dept. I was called in for a mtg w/ the team and VP and given a take home assignment. All was going great except like many people have posted, after I spent 3 entire days on it, I heard nothing, even despite two pings about where I was in the process. So for those working and with many personal obligations, think twice about completing any writing or powerpt exercises. All that effort might not even be acknowledged.

Interview Questions

• The work environment is very demanding and can be stressful. How do you handle stress?   Answer Question