Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in February 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for the PM position and they called me within a day or two of my application to set up a face to face interview. I went in and met with a very senior member of their team. S/He told me all about the organization - how they operate, who their clients are, what the job entails, etc. S/He asked me only one question along the lines of "why are you looking?" The whole encounter was about 45 minutes with only one question asked of me.

I had to follow up with this person repeatedly. Then s/he set up another interview with 3 other senior team members. The first one canceled 5 minutes before the interview, the second one asked me two questions, and the third - a very senior member - was so disorganized I had to question the entire leadership at the organization.

Everyone I interviewed with told me I was great. The very senior person said, "This interview went really, really well." After that, I followed up for about 6 weeks and never heard anything back.

In all, I did two separate visits to the office (where I had to weave a web of lies to get away from my current job), three face to face interviews, countless follow up, and a 10-page research brief. All of that and not even a phone call or email.

If this is the way they treat the people they are trying to recruit and sell the position/company to, I can't imagine how they treat the actual employees. I get that everyone is busy, but this experience was appalling. The worst I've seen.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions asked. Very basic stuff.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in July 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was with HR director in DC,and she was very nice. In person interview turned out to be with a lot more people than anticipated. From the outside, the office looks like a dungeon with the big gate and shabby neighborhood. The office itself is small but clean and newly furnished. Interviewed with 2 teams, consisting of members in all parts of the hierarchy. Analysts aren't afraid to tell you they work crazy hours but also say that it's a good learning experience.

Interview Question – general questions about your experiences   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interview with HR and analyst. Quick and mainly about fit in the company. Analyst who interviews prospective interns and employees enjoys grilling people. Don't let them intimidate you since a majority of all the skills can be learned on the job. However I recommend seriously considering the offer if they do extend one to you.

Interview Question – What do you know about PSB?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Little.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in March 2010.

Interview Details – They asked me about bunch of standard questions, including why pbs?.. why should we hire you?.. tell me about yourself....overall, phone interview took well under 10 mins! i was called to be brought into the in-person interview that is scheduled in three days' time....wiill see how that goes.

Interview Question – what do you look for in a company?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in September 2007.

Interview Details – Standard interview. Why PSB? Why would you be a good fit. Not much emphasis on marketing experience. Firm seemed most interested in ability to work hard. They will teach you what you need to know in order to succeed on the job. Very sure this is an up or out mentality.

Interview Question – What was the compensation that was discussed?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates.

Interview Details – The interview process generally takes about 2 weeks time. The whole process is smooth without any glitches so to speak. The HR people are very forthcoming in letting you know what exactly the profile is and what are they looking for.

Interview Question – How will you fit in ?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiaions.

Very Easy Interview

Director Interview

Director
Mumbai (India)

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in March 2011.

Interview Details – Meeting with the regional leader. Met with the person through a personal contact.

Largely circled around experience in communications than research.

Interview Question – The job is rigorous - do you have the wherewithal to withstand that?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was useful money, but almost half of what I used to earn earlier

Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in April 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR. In-person interviews with manager and VP. Straightforward questions about why you want the job, what skills you have that would be useful in this field, why PSB, etc. Everyone was very friendly during the interview process. The people I met with in person seemed a bit stressed and mentioned that there had been a lot of turnover recently. I thought one of the in-person interviewers was a bit too casual. I didn't end up pursuing this opportunity because I got another offer.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in market research?   Answer Question
  • What is your work style and what would be an ideal project that you would want to work on?   Answer Question

Analyst

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in June 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. The phone interview was with HR from the DC HQ, spoke with a very friendly and warm lady. She made the position and company sound great, and so I was really excited for the 1:1 interview with the NY office.

1:1 interview was a different story. The person I interviewed with was cold and unapproachable, and gave contradictory answers to the questions I asked in the phone interview. I asked about more details regarding the Analyst role, and all I got was "it depends on the project". Overall, not impressed with the NY office -- seemed like an unfriendly and dull place to work. Unfortunate, given the initially positive impression I received in the phone interview.

Overall, easy interview.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time you had to solve a problem and didn't have all the relevant information. How did you proceed.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in March 2010.

Interview Details – For in-person interviews you will interview with 2-3 lower level employees and asked about your interest in the company and industry, typical interview questions (relating your experience to the job/industry), and a series of questions to test you analytical and strategic thinking abilities.

As with any interview, show interest in the company/industry, provide well thought out answers, and be genuine. Don't memorize a speech and answer questions straightforwardly and honestly.

From there, you may be passed on to Directors and / or VP's, dependent upon their availability.

The interviews are pretty casual and laid-back, as is the work environment. Most employees are dressed in jeans and button up, and you won't be judged too harshly on your attire. Dress smart--you are still at in interview--but don't go out and buy a tuxedo.

Key is that if you come off as intelligent, hard working, and interested, you will get a lot of interest.

Interview Question – How many gas stations are there in the United States?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Attempts at negotiation were not effective, but this was at the height of the recession. I've heard from others that they were able to negotiate in the past for a slight increase in salary and also for relocation fees.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates