Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates

2.5

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in August 2011.

Started with a phone interview approximately 20 minutes long. Second round of interviews included a 1:1 with a VP in the office, as well as a panel interview with two different project managers. Some short tests examined the way you reason through data, and how you interpret and present complex data to others. We also talked about some technological companies and discussed their business practices...nothing too official. They were curious to know how I think.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think Microsoft is properly allocating its resources to its business channels, or are the resources being misused?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in May 2011.

Short phone interview followed by 45min follow-up.

Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

interviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in February 2011.

First was a phone interview that was pretty standard. They did ask some questions to evaluate different hypothetical scenarios to test how you think. Then was an on-site interview that was more of that but with different teams. This seemed to be both a test of how you would fit in culturally as well as your actually skill.

Interview Questions
    • Choose a large company and describe to us what you would do as their marketing strategy.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in September 2010.

I was referred by someone I know for a senior-level position on the East Coast. I am in California, and it was not clear whether or not the position would require a relocation. I spoke to an HR person at the East Coast headquarters, who was very helpful. Ultimately, they decided not to fill the East Coast position, and they had just filled a position locally, so there was no opportunity that would fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • It wasn't a single question, but to add a person in the West, they would have needed a "rainmaker" to bring in more business. That is not my area of expertise, so it was not a good fit.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in August 2010.

I applied online and heard back about 3 weeks later about scheduling an in-person interview with an HR person. That went well, and the next week I had a group interview with about 6 people at the office, plus brief phone interviews with directors who couldn't be there in person. They bumped me up to consideration for a Senior Analyst position whereas the advertised position was for a 'regular' Analyst. Following the group interview, I got a written homework assignment and was given a few days to complete it. I received an offer a few days after submitting that assignment.

The people at PSB were friendly and HR was accommodating with letting me schedule additional time with a couple people to ask extra questions. They wiggled a little on salary but ultimately I wasn't interested in the position more for reasons of fit, in terms of both the company and the position.

Interview Questions
    • The homework writing assignment was unexpected (before the days of Glassdoor to know what was coming). It was not especially difficult but it was time consuming. They were looking for analysis and conclusions based on survey results.   Answer Question

I was considering jumping from a smaller research firm, but ultimately the larger, more corporate feel of PSB didn't seem like a good fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in July 2010.

Phone interview was with HR director in DC,and she was very nice. In person interview turned out to be with a lot more people than anticipated. From the outside, the office looks like a dungeon with the big gate and shabby neighborhood. The office itself is small but clean and newly furnished. Interviewed with 2 teams, consisting of members in all parts of the hierarchy. Analysts aren't afraid to tell you they work crazy hours but also say that it's a good learning experience.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in March 2010.

They asked me about bunch of standard questions, including why pbs?.. why should we hire you?.. tell me about yourself....overall, phone interview took well under 10 mins! i was called to be brought into the in-person interview that is scheduled in three days' time....wiill see how that goes.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in February 2010.

I applied for the PM position and they called me within a day or two of my application to set up a face to face interview. I went in and met with a very senior member of their team. S/He told me all about the organization - how they operate, who their clients are, what the job entails, etc. S/He asked me only one question along the lines of "why are you looking?" The whole encounter was about 45 minutes with only one question asked of me.

I had to follow up with this person repeatedly. Then s/he set up another interview with 3 other senior team members. The first one canceled 5 minutes before the interview, the second one asked me two questions, and the third - a very senior member - was so disorganized I had to question the entire leadership at the organization.

Everyone I interviewed with told me I was great. The very senior person said, "This interview went really, really well." After that, I followed up for about 6 weeks and never heard anything back.

In all, I did two separate visits to the office (where I had to weave a web of lies to get away from my current job), three face to face interviews, countless follow up, and a 10-page research brief. All of that and not even a phone call or email.

If this is the way they treat the people they are trying to recruit and sell the position/company to, I can't imagine how they treat the actual employees. I get that everyone is busy, but this experience was appalling. The worst I've seen.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions asked. Very basic stuff.   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in January 2010.

Interview with HR and analyst. Quick and mainly about fit in the company. Analyst who interviews prospective interns and employees enjoys grilling people. Don't let them intimidate you since a majority of all the skills can be learned on the job. However I recommend seriously considering the offer if they do extend one to you.

Little.

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn, Schoen & Berland Associates in September 2007.

Standard interview. Why PSB? Why would you be a good fit. Not much emphasis on marketing experience. Firm seemed most interested in ability to work hard. They will teach you what you need to know in order to succeed on the job. Very sure this is an up or out mentality.