Penn State University Interview Questions

Updated Aug 25, 2015

2.6

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

The interview lasted four hours and was conducted with four different groups of people and the director (who would be my supervisor). The first group was the developers I would be supervising. The second was a group of managers within the organization. The third were peer managers. The interview was easy. Everyone was friendly and it was a very comfortable experience.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a project go bad? If so, how did you back out of it?   1 Answer

Undergrad Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penn State University.

Interview

Process was quick. Went in for an interview with PI and we talked about what my interests are and what my roles would be in the lab. PI contacted me the next day.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA).

Interview

The interview was informal and laid back. Very pleasant and informative about all duties to be performed. Interviewer did ask a lot of questions about past experience. I was showed all the different areas that I would be working and equipment that I would be using. That was all before I was even offered the job.

Interview Questions

• What hours I would be available.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penn State University.

Interview

In-person interview in front of a panel, followed by a written portion (essay-type questions). Panel consisted of people related to position being filled, as well as division head. Questions ranged from having you give general descriptions of experience to having you respond to situations with a proposed solution or procedure. Panel allowed for questions afterward. The whole process took a little over an hour.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penn State University (Middletown, PA).

Interview

It was a smooth process overall. The first stage was a phone interview as usual. It was a quite good experience. Friendly academic environment. Faculty and staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University.

Interview

Interviews progress in 3 stages: telephone interview, writing exercise, then in-person interview. First they called me to set up the telephone interview. Phone interview: It was a round-table with the director of communications, numerous departmental employees, etc. sitting in a conference room on a speaker-phone, asking me questions. They went around the room and read off a list of somewhat generic questions. They didn't respond or react to my answers in any way-- it sounded like they were just taking turns reading a question and then writing down my response. They also emphasized that Penn State is a large employer, and it can take some time to get things rolling, so I expected about a 2-month process. Writing exercise: They must have liked me enough, because I progressed to stage 2-- the writing exercise. I spent a few hours developing a content strategy and sent that off to the recruiter and interviewer as instructed. I was told the next step would be an in-person interview. I never heard back from them again. No rejection, no acceptance-- just silence. I followed up in a week and was told that they were still considering me. I followed up again about 2 months later and was told the same thing. It's pretty discourteous of an employer to not even follow up with someone who took time out of their day and current job to interview with them. I would reconsider working here as they do not treat perspective employees well.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Penn State University (University Park, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

Slow. Application to offer date was almost 7 months. Two phone conversations with HR, One phone interview with Supervisor and Director, then an in person interview with a 5 person panel.

Interview Questions

• General round table questions. "Tell me about a time when you succeeded in a project/didn't succeed in a project..."   Answer Question

Communications Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied via mail, for this particular position they didn't want any digital applications. Two months passed before I was first contacted for an interview. I played phone tag with my interviewer for two weeks before we actually spoke and scheduled the interview for a Friday. It was the shortest interview of my life – so short that I didn't have to pay for my parking. I was still within the free first half hour. The following Monday they called me first thing to offer me the job.

Part Time Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Penn State University (State College, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

very informal conversation that took about 20 minutes. I went inside the room and was offered a beverage and told that this is just going to be a conversation and is not a formal interview. I was asked very basic questions and it was just the motivation that they were interested in.

Greaduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Erie, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Penn State University (Erie, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

We reviewed my skills and background. Very easy and straightforward questions about my personality and goals. She introduced me job details and deadlines. The she introduced me hiring process.

Interview Questions

• 3. What assignment was too difficult for you, and how did you resolve the issue?   1 Answer