Penn State University

2.7

33 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Undergraduate Enrollment Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Penn State University in November 2014.

Applied online. Had a phone interview two weeks after my initial application. Later had a presentation followed by a group interview and additional questioning. HR at PSU is extremely slow. The interview process is long and arduous. Penn State decided to withdraw the position. Three months were wasted. The department I interviewed with didn't even have the decency to call or email me to inform me that the position was withdrawn. Instead, I received a generic prompt from HR. I would say that was highly unprofessional considering how much communication I had with the department.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions. Prepare beforehand and you'll do well.   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Penn State University.

Had a phone interview that lasted roughly 45 minutes. Emailed resume. Received email a day later with the offer. Did not receive an actual offer letter until the start of the position

Interview Questions
    No, I was not able to negotiate.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn State University.

I did a phone interview with my boss where we talked about his expectations for a PhD student and what we both expected to get out of my time at Penn State if I came to work for him.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty much as expected. Mostly they were about what I expected the PhD experience to be like and what I thought I was going to get out of it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Administrative Assistant I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

I applied online – interviewed at Penn State University.

Penn State is serious when they hire new staff. They plan the interview time and date and send a parking pass for your convenience. The interview team usually consists of 5 or more people.

Interview Questions
    • There are many questions - the most difficult are the situational questions. How would you handle....; tell us about a time when... How have you resolved .....?   Answer Question

Systems Administrator I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Penn State University.

The hiring process is extremely long. I applied for a position with an immediate start and was not called for an interview until over two months later. I interviewed in front of a panel. I was asked many questions, some of which did not pertain to the position (were about me and my life).

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I was prepared to be in this position for the long haul.   Answer Question
    I accepted what was offered, as I really needed the job.

Academic Counselor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Penn State University.

Internal interview as I was already employed at the university.

Interview Questions
    • They gave examples of case studies and asked how I would handle the situation.   Answer Question
    Not much ability to negotiate

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Penn State University in May 2013.

No "standard" interviews. Went directly to professor, talked about research and filled out paperwork to become an RA in the lab the same week. Had to complete a background check, which was completed in approximately one week

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in University Park, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Penn State University.

Graduate student interviews vary depending on the department. Most interviews will be a basic conversation with a few faculty members and possibly visiting with some current graduate students. Some departments have fun, exciting people while others have faculty that are simply using graduate students to fulfill their current research projects.

Interview Questions
    • What faculty member do you want to work with? In many departments, you must have an academic adviser picked out prior to being accepted.   Answer Question
    Not much negotiation as a graduate student. You either get an assistantship or you don't. There are often other scholarships you can also apply for within departments.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Penn State University in January 2013.

Initial communication led to an in-person interview where I signed documents. They conducted a background check, and when I was approved I was asked what times would be convenient for me to come in to shadow a current work study student.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or unexpected questions, I was just asked for the basics like current semester standing and how many hours I'd be willing to work per week.   Answer Question

Associate Director of Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in State College, PA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Penn State University in December 2012.

Interviewed with the college staff, director and dean after being referred by a current development officer. I visited with upper management of the division prior to applying or and interviewing for a position. Applied in the past without much success.

A lower offer was negotiated up before being brought back to me. I probably could've negotiated an increase, but felt it was a solid offer and I accepted it.