Pentaho Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

3.5

Technical Support Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

Entering the office, you walk by the 'Tiki Bar' ( When I asked, the Admin said that it was 'OK' to have a couple during the day as long as you did not over do it), and was taken to a conference room, whcih was in terrible shape. Multi-tier interview process with 5 team members lasting the better part of a day. Very unorganized, very little process. Most of the managers were not prepared or had already formed an opinion. The expectation seemed to be that the person interviewed would ask all the questions and market themselves to the interview team. Finale portion of the interview was behavioral with a HR team member.

Interview Questions

• 1. Do you believe that past behavior predict the future behavior, if so why ? a. He explained that some people do not want feedback after the interview i. Why do you think this is the case ? 2 Between the age of 5-8 what subjects did you like in school ? a. Between the age of 5-8 what activities you did in school ? b. Between the age of 5-8 what activities you did outside of school? 3 Between the age of 8 - 11 what subjects did you like in school ? a. Between the age of 8- 11 what activities you did in school ? b. Between the age of 8-11 what activities you did outside of school? 4 Between the age of 11-18 what subjects did you like in school ? a. Between the age of 11-18 what activities you did in school ? b. Between the age of 11-18 what activities you did outside of school? 5 Do you stay in contact with childhood friends? a. How many and Why? 6 Tell me something your family knows about you that no one else in the world does 7 Would you rather have a strong leader or a medium engagement leader a. One word questions ,with one word describe : b. Your Boss would say about you? c. Your Peers would say about you? d. Your employees would say about you? e. Can you guess what my next questions is? Yes, what would I say about me? (Correct) 8 I am only going to say this once, so you will need to listen, then answer my questions. a. Approaching a 'Y’ in the road, do you choose to ask forgiveness or permission b. Why? c.. What is the strategic value   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Interview

In person interview or sometimes with a group of people. You will talk to people from the team and then the ISR manager. then a whiteboard presentation to show that you understand the technology

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard can be difficult and the manager changes her mood hourly so hopefully she's in a good mood at the time   Answer Question

Interview

The interview process had several steps. The first step was an initial phone interview that was short but then was told to set up for a role playing second interview. For the second interview it was not role playing but more about the background of the company. The next steps of the interview is another phone interview then a formal interview.

Software Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Very friendly and easy except for the HR interview which was intended to be stressful to see how you handle yourself overall with a lot of psych questions. No big deal if you don't take the interviewer too seriously.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about my childhood.   1 Answer

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

they brought me into a room where 3 managers grilled me on my resume, and asked me random not worked related questions. like what do i want out of life, what gaming platform do I prefer, ha! they didnt even having a working printer, I had to provide all of them my resume, which costs me money!.. you could also just walk into the building there were no security, and no locked doors! you could acess there stuff so easily, i hope yahoo their clients read this.

Interview Questions

• they did some stupid role play scenario, that you cannot get right unless you know how they operate internally.. prepare to fail   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Interview

2-4 interviews at 1-2 hours each

Interview Questions

• Last interview includes a pitch on the product in front of 5+ employees.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Experience is taken into consideration

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pentaho (San Francisco, CA) in November 2013.

Interview

4-5 stage interview process with final whiteboard pitch for final interview

Interview Questions

• HR interview with VP of HR. just really different, see other interview reviews for details   Answer Question

Negotiation

straightforward

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pentaho (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

I was very disappointed in the way that Pentaho handled themselves during my interview. It took about two weeks for the entire process, two weeks of my life that I wish I could get back. First I had to do a technical writing exam, this after I had sent them at least six technical documents that I wrote for them to review. It took me a day to do their technical writing sample, I passed that with no problems. I had a recruiter call me, interviewed with her, then had a phone interview with one of their writers. Passed all of them then they brought me for a in –person interview. From the moment I stepped into their office, it was hot. It was like the air conditioning was either broke or they had not paid their bills. I stepped into large room with a ton of Developers quietly working away. No one acknowledged me, no one greeted me until after about a few minutes, one of the Developers happened to be standing up and came over and greeted me. I met with three people, one of whom was very nice on the telephone, personable and friendly but when I met her in person, she was very formal, stiff and hardly cracked a smile, which I found unusual. I met with their Technical lead, that interview went fine with no problems. Then it was time to meet with their Human Resources lead. He kept me waiting in the conference room for about twenty minutes, which I didn’t mind so much as I got to meet with the woman I spoke with on the phone. We chatted until he came to the door and abruptly says to the woman “I need to speak with you”, grabs her, they disappear and leave me sitting there for another twenty minutes. Finally the HR Director comes to get me, he doesn’t crack a smile, is very serious, brings me into his office and his desk is a mess. It is cluttered with resumes all thrown all over his desk in a big messy pile. He then says to me ‘Its been a busy week, I have interviewed with 25 people including four over the weekend’. At that point it is clear that this guy is playing a game. He then says to me ‘I am going to ask you some questions, and what we are looking for is authenticity’. I answered his questions, asked him some and thought things went well. He asked me what people say about me, what people like about me, what people don’t like about me. During the end of the interview, he finally lightens up and I asked him ‘how did I do?’. He says “I can’t tell you now, I will tell you later. In the meantime, we are going to get together and talk about you behind your back”. He then lightens up and says that some people have walked out during these interviews. I thanked him and went on my merry way. Never heard a word back from them. I think if you truly want to get to know someone’s authentic self, be authentic and be genuine yourself. Don’t play some silly role playing game where you are crude, rude and downright unprofessional. I think what they were seeing is what kind of person I was and if I was going to put up with their cruelty and how far they could push me. What concerns me is if they have no remorse in acting this way during an interview, how will they treat people once you go to work for them? I think Pentaho has forgotten that an interview is a two way street. I am interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing me. I think they went out of their way to make this process as difficult and painful as they could, just to see if I was willing to jump through their hoops. The lesson I learned is when a company treats you this way, walk away. It is a huge red flag and shows that they are manipulative, deceitful and have no remorse in purposely making a bad impression and treating people poorly. I did my best, answered their questions, jumped through their hoops and did not even get a response back from the recruiter or their HR department.

Interview Questions

• "What would people say that they don't like about you?" Who knows the answer to this question as most people would never say this to your face. If you are an easy going, friendly person, why would someone have anything bad to say about you in the first place?   1 Answer

IT Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Pentaho in August 2013.

Interview

I had to do 2 phone interviews and 2 in person. I was a perfect candidate for the job, shared my knowledge and gave advices. Talked to some HR person who apperantly is a phsycologist, asked me personal and childhood questions (weird), in the end they decided to cut position all around.

QA Lead Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentaho.

Interview

I found out about the job through a recruiter. I went through two 30 minute phone screens and was then brought in for a half day interview with multiple members of the company from different departments. The questions revolved around my technical knowledge but also concentrated on my work style and how I dealt with team members. They were very interested in how I would integrate with the team. After the interview, I was contacted by the recruiter to let me know that they had made an offer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to draw a diagram of the system I was currently testing to identify how much of the product architecture I understood.   Answer Question