Pentaho Interview Questions

Updated Aug 1, 2014
Updated Aug 1, 2014

3.6

Inside Sales Representative Interview

The interview process had several steps. The first step was an initial phone interview that was short but then was told to set up for a role playing second interview. For the second interview it was not role playing but more about the background of the company. The next steps of the interview is another phone interview then a formal interview.

Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Pentaho.

Very friendly and easy except for the HR interview which was intended to be stressful to see how you handle yourself overall with a lot of psych questions. No big deal if you don't take the interviewer too seriously.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about my childhood.   View Answer

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pentaho in June 2014.

they brought me into a room where 3 managers grilled me on my resume, and asked me random not worked related questions. like what do i want out of life, what gaming platform do I prefer, ha! they didnt even having a working printer, I had to provide all of them my resume, which costs me money!.. you could also just walk into the building there were no security, and no locked doors! you could acess there stuff so easily, i hope yahoo their clients read this.

Interview Questions
    • they did some stupid role play scenario, that you cannot get right unless you know how they operate internally.. prepare to fail   View Answer

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at Pentaho in July 2012.

Technical phone screen asking a lot about Java, Spring - followed by 3 hours of technical face-to-fact screen including meeting with HR Director

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Pentaho in November 2012.

hiring was quick as they have a lot of turnover. all that was needed was at least 3 years software sales experience

straight forward

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pentaho in November 2013.

4-5 stage interview process with final whiteboard pitch for final interview

Interview Questions
    • HR interview with VP of HR. just really different, see other interview reviews for details   Answer Question
    straightforward

Sales Interview

2-4 interviews at 1-2 hours each

Interview Questions
    • Last interview includes a pitch on the product in front of 5+ employees.   Answer Question
    Experience is taken into consideration

Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pentaho in August 2013.

I was very disappointed in the way that Pentaho handled themselves during my interview. It took about two weeks for the entire process, two weeks of my life that I wish I could get back.

First I had to do a technical writing exam, this after I had sent them at least six technical documents that I wrote for them to review. It took me a day to do their technical writing sample, I passed that with no problems. I had a recruiter call me, interviewed with her, then had a phone interview with one of their writers. Passed all of them then they brought me for a in –person interview.

From the moment I stepped into their office, it was hot. It was like the air conditioning was either broke or they had not paid their bills. I stepped into large room with a ton of Developers quietly working away. No one acknowledged me, no one greeted me until after about a few minutes, one of the Developers happened to be standing up and came over and greeted me.

I met with three people, one of whom was very nice on the telephone, personable and friendly but when I met her in person, she was very formal, stiff and hardly cracked a smile, which I found unusual.

I met with their Technical lead, that interview went fine with no problems. Then it was time to meet with their Human Resources lead. He kept me waiting in the conference room for about twenty minutes, which I didn’t mind so much as I got to meet with the woman I spoke with on the phone. We chatted until he came to the door and abruptly says to the woman “I need to speak with you”, grabs her, they disappear and leave me sitting there for another twenty minutes. Finally the HR Director comes to get me, he doesn’t crack a smile, is very serious, brings me into his office and his desk is a mess. It is cluttered with resumes all thrown all over his desk in a big messy pile. He then says to me ‘Its been a busy week, I have interviewed with 25 people including four over the weekend’. At that point it is clear that this guy is playing a game.

He then says to me ‘I am going to ask you some questions, and what we are looking for is authenticity’. I answered his questions, asked him some and thought things went well. He asked me what people say about me, what people like about me, what people don’t like about me. During the end of the interview, he finally lightens up and I asked him ‘how did I do?’. He says “I can’t tell you now, I will tell you later. In the meantime, we are going to get together and talk about you behind your back”. He then lightens up and says that some people have walked out during these interviews. I thanked him and went on my merry way. Never heard a word back from them.

I think if you truly want to get to know someone’s authentic self, be authentic and be genuine yourself. Don’t play some silly role playing game where you are crude, rude and downright unprofessional. I think what they were seeing is what kind of person I was and if I was going to put up with their cruelty and how far they could push me. What concerns me is if they have no remorse in acting this way during an interview, how will they treat people once you go to work for them? I think Pentaho has forgotten that an interview is a two way street. I am interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing me. I think they went out of their way to make this process as difficult and painful as they could, just to see if I was willing to jump through their hoops. The lesson I learned is when a company treats you this way, walk away. It is a huge red flag and shows that they are manipulative, deceitful and have no remorse in purposely making a bad impression and treating people poorly.

I did my best, answered their questions, jumped through their hoops and did not even get a response back from the recruiter or their HR department.

Interview Questions
    • "What would people say that they don't like about you?" Who knows the answer to this question as most people would never say this to your face. If you are an easy going, friendly person, why would someone have anything bad to say about you in the first place?   View Answer

IS Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Pentaho in March 2013.

Very detail oriented, looking for technically savy addition

Interview Questions
    • Why was I working for such a low salary?   View Answer
    I'd like more money

QA Lead Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pentaho.

I found out about the job through a recruiter. I went through two 30 minute phone screens and was then brought in for a half day interview with multiple members of the company from different departments.

The questions revolved around my technical knowledge but also concentrated on my work style and how I dealt with team members. They were very interested in how I would integrate with the team.

After the interview, I was contacted by the recruiter to let me know that they had made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to draw a diagram of the system I was currently testing to identify how much of the product architecture I understood.   Answer Question

Worked for Pentaho? Contribute to the Community!