Pentair Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.8

Project Buyer - Indecisive Company! Interview

Anonymous Employee in Apopka, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pentair (Apopka, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Never before have I interviewed with 4 people, individually, via phone, without being offered a chance to interview in person (I even offered to pay my own travel expenses). First two phone interviews were with a purchasing manager and with an inside sales lead (who, I found out later, was also a candidate!). Both those conversations went well, about 30-45 minutes each, and I seemed to hit it off with both guys. A couple weeks later, I interviewed by phone with the operations manager and with a guy at the corporate management level (and who was also new to the company). These were a little more structured as far as a question/answer interview format. After ALL 4 interviews, I had positive feedback, along the lines of "We'd love to get you down here to meet in person." Of course...that did not happen. They probably hired the internal candidate they had in mind all along. If you are "experienced" (i.e. "older"), and/or not local to the job location, or competing against an internal candidate, you will find interviewing here a huge waste of your time

Interview Questions

• More conversational in tone with few questions, but one guy said "I have to ask you some of these questions, so I can prove I did the interview". Situational questions, what would you do in x situation?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Pentair.

Interview

I had 1 brief phone interview, followed by 1 long in person interview, and then had a site specific orientation/"interview". During the in person interview I met with several managers who each had positions they were looking to fill. Some of the questions were repeated, and a fair amount were in regards to the experiences I had listed on my resume. The second "interview" was mostly just a walk through of where I would be working if I accepted the position more than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you and a team member disagreed on how something should be done. How did you proceed?   Answer Question

Interview

Typical behavioral types questions, tour of the plant, panel style, expect multiple trips. Can be kind of grueling and repetitive. Decisions are made as a group with the hiring manager taking the lead.

Temporary Buyer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pentair.

Interview

Coordinated interview date after employee referral. Interview format is pattern - 5 cross functional representatives ask a series of predetermined questions. Each question is covered at least twice to obtain qualifications and ensure consistency of answers. Some questions are relevant; some are not. Lengthy process.

Interview Questions

• What was the largest challenge you faced in a previous position that was not part of your defined role? How did you facilitate/assist in determining a resolution?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations were necessary.

Compliance Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair in November 2014.

Interview

It's very easy to get hired here. You just need to know someone - you don't even have to interview as long as you have the right connections. I knew someone, there was a vacancy, I sent in my resume, had literally a five minute conversation with the VP and I got an offer. That was it.

Better offer elsewhere.

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pentair (Hanover Park, IL) in July 2014.

Interview

They'll hire anybody, just show up there and they'll beg you to work for them, seriously, but don't. You'll regret it later. You're far better off looking for a different job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple

Technical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Initially I was contacted directly by the hiring manager. Once we spoke I was then routed through Human Resources for coordinating the interviews. Human Resources followed with a phone screen and then one face to face with the hiring manager and another person. Culminated in a phone screen with higher up.

Interview Questions

• Don't really remember but it was probably something along the lines of tell me about a time when you were not successful.....   1 Answer

Negotiation

Yes, negotiated higher base. Stick to your guns, it is your only chance to affect this area unless you are promoted and even then it is as much of a change as you can make here.

Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair (Stafford, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

1 interview, for intern position, based on previous experience, academic details and current work. it was a great experience. I was not tensed while delivering the answers. it went smooth, quite well.

Negotiation

intern. so no negotiation.

Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pentair in May 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume and was asked to visit on-site for an interview with HR, hiring manager and one other manager at same level. HR was professional and sent detailed information on agenda. Spent about 45 minutes with each individual and I was not taken on a plant tour. Similar level manager asked the detailed technical questions, HR asked behavior based questions and hiring manager explained position and how it interacted with other departments and what he wanted position to focus on.

Interview Questions

• Quality manager asked about a series of tools (DFMEA, SPC, etc) and asked me to rate my knowledge on a scale of 1 to 10.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair.

Interview

Interview process took about 2 weeks. I was first contacted by H.R. and had a short 15 minute phone interview in which I was asked behavioral questions. Following the H.R. interview I once again had a phone interview, this time with the team that I would be working under. There wasn't anything too difficult, they asked me about my past experiences, why I wanted to work at Pentair, and once again general behavioral questions.