Pentair

Updated Dec 6, 2014
Updated Dec 6, 2014

2.9

Temporary Buyer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Pentair.

Coordinated interview date after employee referral. Interview format is pattern - 5 cross functional representatives ask a series of predetermined questions. Each question is covered at least twice to obtain qualifications and ensure consistency of answers. Some questions are relevant; some are not. Lengthy process.

Interview Questions
    • What was the largest challenge you faced in a previous position that was not part of your defined role? How did you facilitate/assist in determining a resolution?   Answer Question
    No negotiations were necessary.

Compliance Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair in November 2014.

It's very easy to get hired here. You just need to know someone - you don't even have to interview as long as you have the right connections. I knew someone, there was a vacancy, I sent in my resume, had literally a five minute conversation with the VP and I got an offer. That was it.

Better offer elsewhere.

Assembler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover Park, IL

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pentair in July 2014.

They'll hire anybody, just show up there and they'll beg you to work for them, seriously, but don't. You'll regret it later. You're far better off looking for a different job.

Simple

Technical Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair.

Initially I was contacted directly by the hiring manager. Once we spoke I was then routed through Human Resources for coordinating the interviews. Human Resources followed with a phone screen and then one face to face with the hiring manager and another person. Culminated in a phone screen with higher up.

Interview Questions
    • Don't really remember but it was probably something along the lines of tell me about a time when you were not successful.....   View Answer
    Yes, negotiated higher base. Stick to your guns, it is your only chance to affect this area unless you are promoted and even then it is as much of a change as you can make here.

Engineering Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pentair in May 2014.

Submitted resume and was asked to visit on-site for an interview with HR, hiring manager and one other manager at same level. HR was professional and sent detailed information on agenda. Spent about 45 minutes with each individual and I was not taken on a plant tour. Similar level manager asked the detailed technical questions, HR asked behavior based questions and hiring manager explained position and how it interacted with other departments and what he wanted position to focus on.

Interview Questions
    • Quality manager asked about a series of tools (DFMEA, SPC, etc) and asked me to rate my knowledge on a scale of 1 to 10.   Answer Question

Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair in May 2014.

1 interview, for intern position, based on previous experience, academic details and current work.
    it was a great experience. I was not tensed while delivering the answers.
    it went smooth, quite well.

intern. so no negotiation.

Product Management Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pentair.

Interview process took about 2 weeks. I was first contacted by H.R. and had a short 15 minute phone interview in which I was asked behavioral questions. Following the H.R. interview I once again had a phone interview, this time with the team that I would be working under. There wasn't anything too difficult, they asked me about my past experiences, why I wanted to work at Pentair, and once again general behavioral questions.

Marketing Manager Interview

Phone interview first with recruiter then face to face with 3 reps

Plant Controller Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pentair in February 2014.

The contact was made via job ad on Linkedin.

Interview Questions
    • There we no tough questions The interview process was four seperate phone calls. Unfortunately, it did not lead anywhere.   Answer Question

Quality Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pentair in December 2013.

Initial contact was from the Corporate HR Representative out of the Minneapolis. I had an initial phone interview lasting about 15 mins for her to gage my interest in pursuing the position. I asked if she had an updated resume and where she had gotten my information from. She said she did and didn't tell me where she had gotten it from. I sent an updated resume and then had a scheduled "full" phone interview lasting approximately 20 mins with the same individual after she had contacted the hiring manager and had a brief discussion with him concerning my interest. She accommodated my schedule by calling me before work at 7AM, but was obviously in her bathroom at home getting ready for work while conducting the interview on a cell phone set on speaker mode.

I then had a scheduled phone interview with the hiring manager that went very well. He asked very pointed and relative questions, gave a good description of the responsibilities involved and the skill set required. Was very forthcoming in answering any questions that I had. We seemed to have made a good match of my skill set, experience, background and the requirements for the position. At the end of the 45 minute interview he told me the HR Rep would be getting a hold of me to schedule a face to face. She did within 24 hours. The interview time was changed 3 times due to scheduling conflicts and ended up being a panel style interview.

The panel interview was with the hiring manager, the onsite HR Manager and the Engineering supervisor who was the previous Quality Manager. It was fairly typical in approach and lasted much longer than anticipated at almost two hours in length. There was a great deal of focus on behavioral reactions to difficult situations encountered throughout my career. Some of the answers to questions that I asked were vague and insubstantial, even though they were not sensitive or proprietary types of questions.

Thank you notes / emails were sent at every step of the process.

After the panel interview I didn't hear back from anyone for over a week and finally had to chase down the Corporate HR Representative to be told I was no longer in consideration for the position. When I asked why she responded it was felt I was not a good fit for the team.

Interview Questions
    • "You have a prototype assembly at the end of the line ready to ship and you determine some of the specifications are out of tolerance. What statistical tools will you use to investigate the cause and make a determination."   View Answer