Penton Interview Questions

Updated Aug 24, 2015

2.9

Writer Interview

Interview

Phone interview for a remote writing position. I was interviewed twice, first by the managing editor and second by my director editor. Both were very nice, and friendly, and kept the interview feeling more like a conversation than an actual interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my previous experience writing about technical topics.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penton.

Interview

Had a phone interview where they asked pretty basic questions about my goals and background. Made it to the in-person interview, which was pretty brutal. Be prepared to be asked extensively about your technical capabilities.

Interview Questions

• Interviewed by three people: manager, colleague, and the guy who's job I would be stepping into (he was leaving for grad school). Make sure you're comfortable in interrogation style interviews and a whiz at Excel!   Answer Question

Content Producer Interview

Interview

Very easy process. very accessible people. hr easy to work with. phone interview and in person. only two people making the decision. otherwise it was pleasant and what you expect from a normal interview. nothing out of the ordinary

Interview Questions

Negotiation

non existent

Technology Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Penton (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

The interview was pleasant although a long one. I interviewed with HR, twice with my editor-in-chief, the VP of Content, and the VP of Sales. I did appreciate it because I got to meet with a lot of different people and experience the work culture through our conversations. I was required to write test articles to evaluate my writing ability.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to write about the industry instead of working in the field?   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Penton (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied on LinkedIn and was contacted within a few days by the managing editor via email to set up a phone interview. After a great phone discussion, HR contacted me to set up a time to go into the NYC office for an in-person interview with some of the team members as well as with HR. I went in a couple of weeks later and the interviews went extremely well. I was contacted a few days later by the managing editor to perform a timed editing test. Then, the following week, I was called with a job offer!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They wouldn't waiver on the salary offer, but we did negotiate an extra week of vacation.

Data Modeler Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penton in August 2014.

Interview

I was brought in for a face-to-face interview with the hiring manager after a 30 min call with him. He was a very smart and thorough manager and I would have enjoyed working for him. Unfortunately, the Chief Data Officer wanted to Skype with me and I was tortured for 30 mins having to answer ridiculous questions that had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the position or with my core competencies. I pity the fool who has to interview with the CDO. Avoid this whole company, just look at how bad their Glassdoor reviews are.

Interview Questions

• There is no way on earth that you can really quantify the intelligence of the candidate by asking them ridiculous questions such as "describe your favorite scent from childhood."   2 Answers

Enterprise Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penton (Atlanta, GA) in February 2012.

Interview

Found out about the position via networking. Interview set up within 1 week, hired within 2 weeks of first interview.

Interview Questions

• Interview was straightforward, focusing on experience and skill set.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiations were straightforward. Management made it clear that they are willing to pay for performance. Overall negotiations were fair and equitable.... was able to arrange for start date to accommodate previously planned personal leave time.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Penton (Newark, NJ) in March 2008.

Interview

Phone interview was conducted then I was brought in for in person interview with HR manager.