PepsiCo

Relevance Date Difficulty

Change Management Interview

Change Management
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at PepsiCo in September 2012.

Interview Details – The whole thing was an awful experience. They rushed me in as if there was a fire - and then I never heard anything from them in 4 months...not even a rejection. My first interview was with some HR person on a serious power trip who was grilling me beyond any possible necessity - particularly since she didn't really even understand my background (based on her questions, I am not even sure if she understood my resume) or knew what the role entailed. Her canned behavioral interview questions were banal and revealed nothing about my background that my resume did not. Then, my "escort" got lost and managed to royally screw up a phone interview I had with someone in the NYC office (there was no phone for him to call me on). So, after I dialed the Pepsi operator and got his number, I called him from my cell phone. Then, he went on for like 40 minutes longer than his allotted time, leaving my would-be manager without an office because I was using her office to talk to him while she was in a meeting. Could it get any more messy? My would-be manager seemed nice enough, and I suppose I would have liked working for her - but I've since heard she is pretty flaky and fake.

Pepsi's global nutrition group strategy is a mess & will probably end up in the CEO being fired. This was the group in which I was supposed to work. They could not even explain the value of realigning the company to me this way in my interview (nor could anyone who worked there). All the people who interviewed me seemed bitter, worn out, angry, or depressed - and they all have pristine LinkedIn profiles (so they are all on their way out of this mess themselves). I heard Pepsi pays a lot, so that's one reason to stay.

One interesting thing is that they are selecting for "risk takers" (I was asked a few times about when I took a risk) - which is lovely - apparently nobody there has read the book by Babiak and Hare about what happens when you select for this trait...

In the end, my friend who works for the company said nobody was even hired in this role. It was just an awful experience and waste of time.

Interview Question – Most questions were idiotic cliche behavioral interview questions that anyone who actually reads the management literature would realize are useless. Also, they were asking me questions that simply could not be answered in an interview context. I couldn't solve all of the company's problems in a 30 minute interview - sorry - but I explained the data that would be required. I assume they wanted me to bring my magic wand, but I left it at home.   Answer Question

Worked for PepsiCo? Contribute to the Community!