PepsiCo

Updated Nov 30, 2014

2.4

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PepsiCo.

I had one interview. The interview was in a group panel setting. The interview took about 1 hour. The interview process was fairly painless. A lot of different questions were asked from the group panel interviewing me.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about how you would handle an issue with an angry store manager. Also tell me about you have demonstrated keeping your composure in a intense situation.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for PepsiCo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PepsiCo in October 2014.

First you fill out the application and then wait for an email. The majority of the process is through email so make sure you're checking it. The first step is usually a kind of quiz and survey with basic questions with common scenarios and adding and subtracting math. Then what follows is usually a phone interview if all goes well. The Phone interview is scenario questions also and the face to face interview is very similar style as the phone interview. Just be honest be truthful and use whatever experience you have in the past to answer them. The process took a total of a month or a little over a month.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever felt like you wanted to change something about how the company you previously worked for and how did you attempt to change that? Did you speak with management? How did they respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PepsiCo in May 2014.

Step 1 - I applied for this position online and two weeks later I received a phone call to set up a phone interview.
    Step 2 - The phone interview was very brief, just asking if I am seriously interested and some personal information.
    Step 3 - About a week and half I received an email to set up a face to face interview.
    Step 4 - I went for the interview in a khaki and shirt with tie, the interview was kinda long and very detailed. They asked about skills I learned in used in my jobs and previous experiences. I thought the interview went well the interviewer was very nice and we chatted alittle about sports lol

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time you learned a new skill in a job and how did you use it?   View Answer
    I didn't really negotiate

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PepsiCo in January 2014.

The process is very long and drawn out. If you want to work at Pepsi, don't expect to get it in a few weeks, it can take a very long time. My advice for people who want to quit their job and work for Pepsi. Don't even think about quitting your job until you pass every step and get called by the plant for an actual start date because if you quit your other job too soon, you are in for a long wait. To make a long story short, I have been through the entire hiring process for almost 2 months (ten weeks to be exact) and I still have not been given a start date.

Step 1: If you applied for a position that was posted online right away and you have the qualifications they are looking for, you will get an email back from them pretty quickly in as soon as two days. I heard from them right away and was set up with a phone verification interview which I did the same week I applied for the job.

Step 2: The following week, I was set up for a face to face interview. The interview went very well. I did a lot of research about the company and answered some basic questions in detail like why I wanted to work for Pepsi, what I knew about the position, and about customer service experiences and scenarios. The following week after the interview, I received an email that said "I was still in consideration for the position."

Step 3: Two weeks after I received that email, I got a call from HR with a contingent job offer waiting on a drug test/fitness test and background check. I did both right away within 48 hours. 3-5 days later, my candidate care application status page said, "Congratulations on accepting an offer with Pepsi Beverages Company! Someone will be reaching out to you soon to determine your final start date." Almost three weeks have passed since then and I still have still heard nothing about a start date from the plant. I applied for the position on January 18th. It is now March 14th today. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait before I'll have to pursue other options because I really wanted this position but I can't sit on my butt without a pay check either.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were basic. One to look out for is, "How did you handle learning a new skill you weren't familiar with and how did you succeed with that?" (paraphrased).   Answer Question
    There's none. The hourly rate is set when you apply for the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PepsiCo in January 2014.

I had final interview today. It went very well. I'm just waiting to hear back from them now. The interview process goes like this: They'll invite you to a pre job session and tell you the good, the bad, and the ugly. They were very open with everything. After hearing all the info you would then tell them you are interested and would like an interview. They will then call you and set up interview time and date. During the 1st interview they ask you how well do you work with others, how long do you see yourself with the company, etc. You'll have the interview with at least 2 district managers. They'll call you back if you did well in the 1st interview. You'll then have your final interview a week later. This interview was just one person. They basically ask you the same questions as in the 1st interview. Then they have you sign a paper saying you agree to having a hair drug test because they don't do urine tests and then you sign another paper saying is okay for them to do a background check on you.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current job just to work for us.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PepsiCo in October 2013.

1st-Put in application, 2nd-Wait for Phone Call, 3rd-Go to 1st interview (if they like you will do a 2nd interview sometimes at the same time, 4th Drug Test, 5th-Extensive Background Check, 5th-Training Program

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you are most proud of during your personal life?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Salary was already set and no negotiation for days or hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MO

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at PepsiCo in September 2013.

I applied for the position on Aug. 25, 2013 around 8am. By 9:30am, I had been asked to complete a questionnaire followed by scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview took place on Aug. 31st. It consisted of a view basic questions to verify my identity and make to sure I was aware of what the position entailed and paid. I was asked a few generic behavioral questions. At the end of the interview, I was told to watch my email to schedule a face-to-face interview.
      The next day, Sept. 1st, I received the following email:

"Thank you for taking the time to participate in the phone verification process for a Merchandiser (Part Time/Days) position for the City/State area with Pepsi Beverages Company. We enjoyed speaking with you and feel that you have the type of qualifications we are looking for. We are currently reviewing the entire pool of candidates for final interviews and will contact you if you are selected for the next step in the hiring process."

I was a little discouraged, but 2 days later on Sept. 3rd, I received this email:

"Congratulations! We would like to invite you to continue with the next step of the hiring process, which is a face to face interview for the Merchandiser (Part Time/Days) position in City/State with Pepsi Beverages Company.
    Please CLICK HERE to self-schedule your interview today. Schedules are limited so please schedule as soon as possible. Schedules are assigned on a first come basis."

Sept. 12 - Interview Day!
     I arrived for my interview 20 minutes early. Upon arrival, I was required to sign in and was issued a visitor's badge and asked to take a seat in the waiting area. As I was signing in, the receptionist highlighted my name on a sheet of paper. I was the last name to be highlighted, therefore the last to be interviewed (All candidates for this position were interviewed the same day). There was a total of 5 names, including mine on the list. After checking in, I waited for approximately 10 minutes. Soon, a nice gentleman, who is the merchandising manager, came and took me back to a conference room. There were two men in the room, one was the merch. manager's boss, and another manager that was equal to that of the merchandising manager. I was introduced to both and exchanged a few generic one lines,and then the higher up excused himself. From this point on I will refer to the merchandising manager as Mgr. A and his fellow co-worker as Mgr. B for privacy reasons.

The interview began with the expected questions (see 1st 2 Q's)

These questions were asked by Mgr. A while Mgr. B wrote what I was saying. After I was finished, Mgr. A told me a little about the job. as he did, Mgr. B would ad lib here and there. When discussing uniforms, Mgr. A referred to Mgr. B because Mgr. B is in charge of clothing sales for Pepsi. After they made sure I understood what the position entailed, they asked me 3 questions/scenarios. Again, all questions/scenarios were asked by Mgr. A and were recorded by Mgr. B. (See last 3 Q's)

Once that portion was complete, they said I did very well and proceeded to tell me more about this specific position that I was interviewing for. The exact hours and locations I would be servicing if hired. They explained the training process and also how you are promoted from within. The pay increases along with advancements and all the company events that are held. They explained how and when you join the union and what that does for you and guarantees you as a member. The last half of my interview, I almost felt like they were trying to sell
    me on the job! I asked a couple of questions at the end and they made sure I had full knowledge and understanding of every aspect of the job and company by the time I left. My interview lasted for 40-45 minutes. At the end of the interview, he told me to watch my email; that all of the correspondence related to the hiring process is done from an outside company to keep it fair and unbiased. He said that all interviewed employees are contacted once the position is filled. You are either offered the position, put into the pool for the next available position, or declined. I was told that I would be receiving either an email or phone call within a week.

The next morning, Sept. 13th, I received the following email:

"Thank you for taking the time to consider opportunities with Pepsi Beverages Company. Your interest in Pepsi Beverages Company as a potential employer is appreciated. You are still under consideration for the Merchandiser (Part Time/Days) position.

Currently, we have all of the information we need. We will be contacting you regarding next steps once a decision is made.

October 3rd - Offer extended via phone and accepted. Must complete drug screen in 48 hours and pass background check. After that clears, a start date will be issued.

Today is September 15th and my status on their candidate care site pretty much says the same thing as the email does. I am anxiously waiting!

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work for Pepsi?"   View Answer
    • "Tell me what you believe this position entails. What does a merchandiser do?"   Answer Question
    • "Name a time you had to deal with an unsatisfied customer how did you handle the situation and what was the outcome?"   Answer Question
    • "Describe a time you had to handle a situation and you had no prior experience."   Answer Question
    • "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a customer who was not knowledgeable about the products they were purchasing and sought out your advice."   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thibodaux, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thibodaux, LA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PepsiCo in August 2013.

Very unprofessional and a bigot. I have over 2 years experience merchandising, building displays and planograms, i know merchandising techniques, i can operate an electric and manual pallet jack.

If i wasnt qualified i wouldnt have never received a phone interview stating I am a good candidate with experience. Phone interview lady told me the position pays $14.25hr part time and asked if i've worked 10-12hr shifts before. I replied yes, i used to work in a warehouse doing 12hr shift work. I was later appointed to an interview at Schriever, LA site.

I arrived to the interview at 8:40 (interview was for 9). As soon as I walked in a caucasian lady looked at me with a snobby attitude and asked may i help you as she looked me up and down. I replied yes ma'am I am here for an interview at 9a, she asked me my name and said someone will be with me. The guy who interviewed me came into the lobby area where I was sitting and shook my fingers not my hand as if I was a disease or something. He mentioned the interview will take place upstairs and I followed. Once we got upstairs he looked at my attire up and down and smiled fakely. Right there he already judged me and made up his mind about me. (I wore a white button down ralph lauren shirt tucked in with pleated khaki slacks, a brown belt and brown casual boots, and yes i am a black educated female that dresses like a fellow, my hair was cut in a nice military cut and I was presentable for an interview. I am also overweight which doesnt determine whether if i can perform the job or not, i have over 2 yrs experience in the area of merchandising)

He kept telling me even before we started the interview that this is a very very very very physical demanding job. I said I know I am aware sir and I believe I can do the job. He asked what do I know about merchandising and customer service. I told him my background as a merchandiser and as a shift manager for a retail store and more. Then he once again told me this is a very physical demanding job. I just smiled. He later talked about the route with 5 stores and approximately how many cases of water i would have to pick up and said this is a very very physical demanding job. He then asked me 3 scenerio questions which I answered perfectly and he responded good and i am knowledgable of this position. He stopped the interview and said again this is a very physical demanding job and asked if I had any questions. I told him no sir and thanked him for his time and I was looking for a career that I have experience in so I can stop hopping around job to job and provide for my family. He shook my hand with less force than the first handshake and said I could exit downstairs.

I dont know if he was racist or if he never seen a female like me or the fact that I was overweight. He completely judged my appearance and not my credentials and college education. This was an unfair interview. I was beyond polite and courteous regardless of how uncomfortable he made me feel.

Oh yea...and he mentioned that Frito Lays Merchandising maybe a better fit for me. And he also told me the pay for me would be $12 hr with 20-25hrs up to 8hr shifts 3 days a week. (Thats not what the phone interview lady told me)

I play softball, bench press over 100lbs with ease but he dont know that. He judged me and didnt even give me a chance.

I really wanted to work for PepsiCo. But not anymore. He was homophobic and uncomfortable with my presence which made me uncomfortable, but I have a real good poker face, i remained professional.

Interview Questions
    • The fact that he kept telling me this is a very very very physical demanding job. He didnt even finish the interiew. I am 5'6" 255lbs and I can lift bottles and cases and more throughout the day and I will be fine. He wouldnt even know because he didnt give me a chance.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

I applied online – interviewed at PepsiCo in August 2013.

Applied online. Got an email to schedule phone interview. Conducted phone interview and was told I would receive an email to schedule face to face. No email or phone call recieved.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PepsiCo in June 2013.

Easy face to face interview , interview is 15 minutes tops. But you have to do drug tests, background checks, and its hard to get a hold of the hiring the managers via phone when needed . The hiring is outsourced ao you get conflicting job descriptions,

Interview Questions
    Strait forward, the job description compilation is was what your get. no battering here.