Perceptive Software

Updated Jul 26, 2014

2.8

Product Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in August 2012.

You take a technical test. If you pass (not sure what a "passing" grade is) then you get called back for an interview with 1 or 2 team leaders. If that interview goes well you get a final interview with the Manager. Finally you get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were quite a few Linux commands in the technical test. One question you will get asked involves your opinion on what is more important: finding the solution for your customer or rapport with the customer.   View Answer
    They really wanted to know within 48hours if I would accept the job or not. They sent me all the benefits to review. I kind of wished I had longer to decide incase I got any other offers, but it's okay because who wouldn't want to work for this company?

Contract Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in March 2013.

I applied for the job because I have a reference who already works for the company. The online application process is straight forward; in fact, it's one of the easier online applications I've used.

Called their HR department a week after my submission to follow up; the HR recruiter told me that she had actually been meaning to call me and was glad that I called her. We set up a phone interview screen for a time the next week.

She called me exactly at the time she said she would. Was a nice 45 minute conversation about my experience and why I wanted to work for Perceptive. We hit a snag in the conversation when I figured out that she had the wrong version of my resume (I applied for a different job in 2012 and used a different version of my resume), but the conversation was fine after that. She asked me to e-mail her my current resume, which was already in their system, so that she could send it to the hiring manager.

I got an e-mail about a week after the phone screen from a different recruiter to set up an in-person panel interview. The interview lasted for a little over an hour and I met the hiring manager, the team's assistant, two of the other contract managers, and the company's general counsel who joined us over the phone. There were no off the wall or "clever" questions that seem to be popular these days. All of the questions were very much in the vein of:

- Tell me two things you like and don't like about your current job.
    - Tell me about the culture at your current company.
    - What kind of contract experience do you have?
    - What kinds of contracts do you work with?
    - What do you do outside of work? What are your hobbies?

The only weird question they asked was "give us the answer a question that we didn't ask but you thought we would."

I had about 15 minutes worth of questions at the end of the interview.

On my way out the hiring manager told me that I would be contacted either way and that it would be in the next couple of days.

I waited a week and never heard back from anyone, so I sent an e-mail to my recruiter who never responded. Two weeks later the job was removed from the careers website and I still hadn't heard a peep from anyone at Perceptive. In fact, it wasn't until two and a half weeks after I interviewed that I got a rejection e-mail from my recruiter.

I thought Perceptive would be a little more prompt in its communications with interview candidates, especially candidates who were referred by a current employee. I never expected special treatment, but when the team is only interviewing 4 or 5 candidates, I expected better communication between the hiring manager, human resources, and myself.

Interview Questions
    • Answer the question we didn't ask but you thought we would.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in April 2012.

Met with recruiters and employees on campus several times. Applied and followed up with recruiters. Interview consisted of panel of several managers and project managers. First portion was a presentation on "something I was passionate about", followed by questioning of further detail/explanation of my topic. Second portion was a typical panel interview based off of my resume.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you see yourself a few years from now?
      What was the least liked part of former experience and what did you learn from it that will help you in this career?
        Answer Question

Sales Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Perceptive Software in January 2013.

Company is not very focused

Took another offer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in September 2012.

Was introduced to the job through a recruiter. Submitted resume and a written pre-screen, at which point I was invited in for a programming assessment.

Programming assessment consisted of coding (in a word processor) in C++, Java, or C# some basic object-oriented things (subclassing, virtual methods) and writing a linked list implementation.

I passed the programming assessment and was invited to an in-person interview. This consisted of two hour-long sessions with two interviewers each. The interviewers were software developers/architects. There were no "soft" questions (e.g. "What is your greatest weakness?") nor random puzzle questions. All the discussion was focused on tangible things that I could bring to the company, my attitudes, and also a review of the code that I wrote in the assessment. It was a very pleasant interview with obviously very talented people.

In the end, they deemed me a good candidate but still declined to give me an offer.

My only criticism of the process was that it took quite a long time. After the assessment, there was a three-week wait until the interview, and after the interview there was a three-week wait before a final decision. So the entire process was several months long, and comments from my recruiter led me to believe they were unnecessarily dragging their feet.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions, to be honest.   Answer Question

Business Development Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied through other source - interviewed at Perceptive Software in May 2012.

Responded to posting in LinkedIN and received phone interview request about three days later. When phone interview was scheduled the HR rep was ten minutes late to the call. He indicated I was very well qualified for the position as well as some other open positions in the company. He did not know the salary range for the position and he asked that I call him back if I did not hear from him in two days, because things were hectic at Perceptive! Very immature HR organization to say the least! I had to call back twice with no result. Then had to follow up with email to his supervisor who indicated they were still interested in me as a candidate. Have not had any follow-up from the company in two months!

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Perceptive Software in June 2012.

1 HR interview, 1 interview with the team, 1 interview with the manager, 1 interview with the VP.... took 2.5 months.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were not difficult... just a mutual understanding of my background and the position details. The unexpected questions came in the VP interview... got the impression it was more of a "personality" check than anything else.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in July 2012.

Initially, I did a 40 minute phone interview with two people.

Some of the topics discussed:
    How do you make a pure virtual function in C++.
    Explain abstract classes, inheritance, polymorphism in Java. Why do we need it? What's the benefit?
    Describe your favorite data structure.
    Whats your favorite programming book?
    What was the biggest problem you ever faced?

Got a call back and was flown out to Kansas for a technical skills test and more face-to-face interviews.
    Had 90 minutes to solve a problem in any language. It's level of difficulty was at the level of a homework assignment in undergraduate course. After skills test, interviewed with two separate teams for an hour each. We went over my test and discussed typical behavioral questions and my background. Interview was very casual and free-flowing. Overall time it took was 3 hours 40 minutes that day.

Interview Questions
    • Create a linked list queue with push / pop functions for a document class.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in June 2012.

After a 20 minute informal phone interview, I was invited to fly to their office in Shawnee for a Programming test and an interview with project managers. I never met with an HR representive during the entire process, and was 'greeted' at the main desk by a disinterested receptionist. After about a 20 minute wait, she sent me to what was nothing more than a closet with a glass viewing window and a desk. As soon as I sat to take the test, they lost power and had to take the first 15 minutes of the test in the dark. At least she supplied a bottle of water - a good thing since there was almost no air movement in there, and it got quite warm.

The test was as a previous poster described - create a linked list utilizing a document class with a pure virtual function that has Push and Pop methods for the last item in the list. This was all hand written. The test took about 45 minutes to get all written out, by which time I was rushing to just get out of the closet and get cooled off.

Upon completion, I returned the test to the receptionist who said I could leave. I had to remind her I was there for interviews and she instructed me to sit and wait. After about a 30 minute wait, one of the project managers came out to great me and we headed to a conference room in the basement. It appears most if not all of the developers are kept in the unfinished basement in bullpen settings. They adhere tightly to the SCRUM philosophy - odd for a company with only one product.

The interview was split into 2 groups - the first group consisting of 3 project managers. The were all quite cordial and friendly, and I felt we had a very good conversation. There were few technical questions asked - primarily it was a discussion of what the company does (only one product, with each project manager overseeing their chunk of that product). We discussed what they were lacking in their development - good testing methodologies, abysmal mobile development (I've been doing mobile development since Pocket PCs were first introduced, and testing sounded interesting, so I thought this position was going to be a very good fit). This lasted about an hour before the next group of managers arrived.

The second group of managers were quite a bit less cordial and considerably less friendly. One acted as a mediator of the interview, a second had little if anything to ask or comment on, while the last 3 were the antagonists of group. First they nitpicked my programming test - I chose to use stdio and string (what I have used for 20 years of coding in C/C++) but they obviously wanted std:string to be used. They also admonished me for not using const when returning a pointer to the string name of the document. There were a couple of other minor quibbles they had, that would have been quickly caught had the code actually been done on a computer and compiled. It is ridiculous to think that hand writing code on paper won't have some syntactical issues. The were also unhappy that I didn't use a recursive routine to print out the nodes of the linked list - I chose to use a simple do/while loop.

Then came the usual inane interview questions - what is your favorite data structure? Who is your favorite author? What is a design pattern? Well, to me, data structures are tools to get the job done - I have no favorite, just like I don't have a favorite wrench size. I don't read much anymore because books are overpriced and offer much less value than what can be found on the net. And a design pattern is really nothing more than what us old timers called algorithms.

Very little was discussed about my work history. They said they ignored everything but the most current 10 years of work, which has been mostly in the entertainment industry, so they glossed over 20 years of development and management experience saying it was all too old to be considered.

After an hour of badgering, the interview was over, I was escorted to the front door and left there. I've not had many interviews in my 30+ years of experience (only 5 counting this one), but this was by far the least professional of them all.

Mind you, I've created over 30 commercial titles in my career, as well as designed hardware and software for high energy physics research and worked in several other industries such as medical, telecommunication, telemarketing, weather monitoring and forecasting, and entertainment for quite prominent companies. Yet, I was rejected by Perceptive as not having technical depth.

As it turns out, they have interviewed over 45 candidates for this position (actually it is for 5 developer positions) and have rejected all of them. I'm not sure what their issue is - are they looking for perfection, or yes men, or do they simply have a fear that someone will come in and take their jobs.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shawnee, KS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in May 2012.

Applied on-line via LinkedIn. Contacted by HR recruiter for initial telephone interview. Advanced to team interview via Skype and land line. Was contacted for third interview and did via telephone. Awaiting results of process.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you have with EPIC, CERNER or other EHR software?   View Answer