Perceptive Software

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Shawnee, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Perceptive Software in June 2013.

Interview Details – On-site technical assessment.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult. create your own Queue class and document class. You have to use word pad an the clock on the laptop I used was 20 minutes fast.   Answer Question

Shawnee, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Perceptive Software in September 2012.

Interview Details – Was introduced to the job through a recruiter. Submitted resume and a written pre-screen, at which point I was invited in for a programming assessment.

Programming assessment consisted of coding (in a word processor) in C++, Java, or C# some basic object-oriented things (subclassing, virtual methods) and writing a linked list implementation.

I passed the programming assessment and was invited to an in-person interview. This consisted of two hour-long sessions with two interviewers each. The interviewers were software developers/architects. There were no "soft" questions (e.g. "What is your greatest weakness?") nor random puzzle questions. All the discussion was focused on tangible things that I could bring to the company, my attitudes, and also a review of the code that I wrote in the assessment. It was a very pleasant interview with obviously very talented people.

In the end, they deemed me a good candidate but still declined to give me an offer.

My only criticism of the process was that it took quite a long time. After the assessment, there was a three-week wait until the interview, and after the interview there was a three-week wait before a final decision. So the entire process was several months long, and comments from my recruiter led me to believe they were unnecessarily dragging their feet.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions, to be honest.   Answer Question

Calcutta (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Perceptive Software in May 2011.

Interview Details – Hiring process has three steps in Kolkata,India
1. Technical Written (offline in pen and paper)
2. Phone interview/Personal Interview (depending on candidate location)
3. Offshore Interview from HQ - Shawnee, KS (Skype or VC)
Every round is elimination round.

Interview Question – offshore interview mainly try to judge your personal ethics, they will focus to see whether you will fit with company culture, your adaptiveness/reaction on unexpected changes, whether you disclose any secrets to other in any circumstances etc   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR will start with minimum salary of the Band that you have hired for. But it can be negotiable and they carefully listen the reasons while negotiating.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Developer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Perceptive Software in June 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume I was brought in to take a written skills test of a language of my choosing. This was not difficult. It consisted a implementing a small program made up of several classes. Drawing from knowledge I gained in my college career, I was done in 45 minutes without any trouble.

A week later I was brought in for a face to face interview with four managers on the development side. At first I thought they were friendly enough, and was looking forward to a more laid-back interview than your typical run-of-the-mill interview. But they became, in my opinion, unprofessional, and borderline-malicious at times. Friendly chat from the managers turned into inappropriate jeering at times. Such as insinuating that I'm lazy in college for the entire interview even after I explain my circumstances. Joking or not, this is not professional for a first time interviewee. Though I handled it well, and thought I showed that I could interact well with fellow employees and managers, I came out of the interview disappointed that I wasn't given a chance to express my actual practical skills for the job positions at hand.

Overall, I would say that the interview process was not particularly difficult, though it was different from any other interview I've had in the development field. Find a way to showcase your practical skills in a casual, social way, and don't lose composure if things start to seem less than professional.

Interview Question – What was your most hated class in college? What did you hate most about <insert programming language>?   Answer Question

Worked for Perceptive Software? Contribute to the Community!