Perella Weinberg Partners Interview Questions

Updated Jan 6, 2015
Updated Jan 6, 2015

3.8

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interview

Initial phone screen asking about background, interest in the firm, standard technical questions (lots on DCF). Superday interviews tested for both technical competence and behavioral fit. Firm places heavy emphasis on the partnership culture and "being a family."

Summer Analyst Interview

Interview

Went through on campus school recruiting - had an interview with a director and an analyst from the San Francisco office. Got a call back the next day inviting me to superday on Friday. Superday consisted of 5 interviews, each was 1-1 with everybody from the San Francisco office.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

First two interviews were over phone -- standard behavioral and technical questions. Superday was at the office with 5 back-to-back interviews.

Going through the Vault and WSO guides should be sufficient.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through how raising 100mil in debt affects the three financial statements.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

After the first round on campus, went through a super day with all members of the team. Because they are a relatively new firm they were keen on getting top tier university students. Seem to care about fit but at the same time all interviews have lots of technical questions.

Interview Questions

• I was probed on LBO modelling; knowing LBO model in and out a must.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fairly smooth, they made a better than market offer, leaving little room for negotiation.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

This was a strange interview. The interviewer didn't seem very prepared. She didn't ask me why I wanted to join the firm or why I wanted to do investment banking. She did ask me about some of the activities I was involved in. She also asked me some technical questions which weren't too hard.

Interview Questions

• I asked her how to value intangible assets, she responded by asking me how I would value them.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners (San Francisco, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

They gave me a phone interview and asked me your typical investment banking questions, nothing new there. Know your analytics, don't sound like a jerk and ask intelligent questions. If you don't know an answer, don't BS, that will get you nowhere. If you don't know then say that you dont know.

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners.

Interview

Application Online. Telephone Interview afterwards and then First round at the office. If successful, last round.
    First round involves a difficult math test at their office, without a calculator. Pretty intense. Afterwards three interviews. Nice people but they are definitely looking for people with deep technical skills already. In general and when comparing with other interviews, way more technical!

Analyst Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Racist experience. One of the interviewing associates at the beginning of the interview made sure I'm from where he thinks and immediately turned rude and arrogant. Same happened to my friend a year ago. This involved questioning everything I said, "allegedly": wrong motivation, wrong investment ideas etc. After being rejected I was refused feedback.

Interview Questions

• Build detailed income statement of Pret on a piece of paper   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners.

Interview

I applied online and then I was invited to a Phone interview, then assessment day interview which included a long 40 mins maths test without calculator and then another three interviews in a row, and final round.

Interview Questions

• How would you draw the shape of the FTSE Index over the past 20 years?   Answer Question

Analyst, London Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Perella Weinberg Partners (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

Telephone Interview, first round. I was told that the interview would not be pre-scheduled so I could expect a call any time in the next week. I missed the first time that they called, and so I thought I was ready the second time. The personal questions were simple enough eg why IB, why PW.

The technical questions were in hindsight tough but fair for a graduate entry position - running through DCF/LBO, why use comps for analysis etc.