PerkinElmer

Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Shelton, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PerkinElmer in December 2013.

Interview Details – Great hiring process very interesting product and company. People were all very nice and seem as if they were happy to be working for a good company. The two people I interviewed with did a great job of explaining the position and its responsibilities. They were also down to earth and not robots just reading off a prescripted list of questions.

Interview Question – why is this company a good fit for you   Answer Question

Tech Service Expert IV Interview

Tech Service Expert IV
Suwanee, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PerkinElmer in September 2010.

Interview Details – typical targeted selection interview

Interview Question – a few obscure technical questions   Answer Question

Commodity Leader Interview

Commodity Leader
Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PerkinElmer in July 2010.

Interview Details – Telephone screen to face to face interview with hiring manager, HR manager and one over one manager

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Engineer Interview

Customer Service Engineer
Tampa, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at PerkinElmer.

Interview Details – I filled out app online. Told my service guy that I applied and he recommended me to his supervisor. Got a phone call interview to set up face to face with manager and team leader. The met me at a restaurant and we spoke for an hour during lunch. There were no typical interview questions. They just wanted to get to know me.

Interview Question – There was no difficult and unexpected question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called me and gave me an offer, I accepted. There was no negotiation.

Software Developer Co-Op Interview

Software Developer Co-Op

Interviewed at PerkinElmer

Interview Details – Had one technical and one hr round of interview and was given the result within a week

Interview Question – Normal questions related to algorithms and about projects worked   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Waltham, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at PerkinElmer in August 2010.

Interview Details – Initial contact was made by a former associate. Suggestion was that the company was on the move and major changes in focus was making it a very interesting place to work.

Interviews were fairly generic. mostly seemed to be them selling me on the company.

Specific questions were around previous experiences that were tied to their needs. especially around the managing of existing products at later stages of their life and the focus on getting in to new and possibly more lucrative markets.

There were also questions around potential synergies around their existing products that cover a wide spectrum of the sciences. Clearly part of what they were looking for was a breadth of understanding of the market across the chemical, biological and health related industries.

Interview Question – What balance would you set for the various products that include late-life mature products as compared to mid-life projects. Finally how much would you invest in new areas.

Give us some suggestions from your experience for new areas of investment.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Minimal negotiation. their salary scale seemed quite inflexible and there was little room.

Field Service Engineer Interview

Field Service Engineer

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PerkinElmer.

Interview Details – Informal. Sent letter to hiring manager about unposted job and was met for interview. Questions were mostly behavioral in nature. "Describe a situation where you faced a customer that was dissatisfied with your company's service... How did you handle it"? Discussed salary requirements with HR representative. Several rounds of negotiations and finally an agreement was reached.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral interview questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary to some degree. No budging on hiring bonus (none) or vacation (bad). There is only PTO there---If you get sick, use your vacation time.

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate
Hopkinton, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PerkinElmer.

Interview Details – The experience was pretty disorganized and disappointing. I was notified by email once that the interview schedule changed and provided with a new schedule, and then on interview day people came in to meet with me in a completely different order and someone new was added. Then there was confusion over what position I was applying to. There were two positions available, and I was probably slightly more qualified for one but more interested in the other...however the job descriptions were so vague it was hard to tell. Both were just outside my area of expertise anyway. So I spent the day apologizing and explaining and re-explaining that I was more interested in the other position. The director even mentioned a new position that would incorporate my expertise with their needs. So it was pretty unclear what they were looking for.

Additionally, I was eager to get a look around at the labs, where I might be spending a good portion of my time. But when I asked, they said I couldn't because things were under construction and they wouldn't show me around. So either they have no labs and are currently not getting any research done, or the labs are something they are not proud of.

Most importantly, it didn't seem like HR and the hiring manager were on the same page in terms of whether they were looking for a someone with a specific set of skills or a talented scientist that could easily take on new skills. The job description was quite vague and open-ended leading one to believe they were more interested in the latter. And I made a clear effort in the preliminary phone interviews where my expertise lay (related, but not exactly the background they were looking for) and that I'd be open to taking on new challenges and learning my way around quickly. It seemed like everyone was in agreement. However, during the interview it was made clear that they were in fact looking for a distinct research background. The hiring manager proceeded to ask technical questions as if it were a pop quiz in an area that I confessed to having familiarity, but not expertise. It was a waste of everyone's time and a very frustrating day. The interviewers were all very nice and understanding and it seems like it might be a nice place to work? But if the hiring manager doesn't sit down with HR to figure out what they want, I might not be the last one running for the hills.

Lesson learned. That will be the last time I apply to a job with too vague a description.

Interview Question – A technical pop quiz about an area that I confessed to having limited experience, but went along anyway leaving me to answer "i don't know" again and again. Torture!   Answer Question

Open Source Administrator Interview

Open Source Administrator
Waltham, MA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PerkinElmer in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for position online on 12/20 and received phone call from recruiter the same day. Phone screen went very well. Interviewed with the hiring manager on 12/24, who told me they were looking to fill this position right away. Followed up with the recruiter after the holidays, and was told they were still interviewing, and that he would keep me posted. I never heard from him again.

Interview Question – The interview was low- stress and friendly.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Downers Grove, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at PerkinElmer in July 2008.

Interview Details – Even though this is a large company, I always felt like this was an agile small company. The interviews were comfortable, they didn't try to trip me up with trick questions or crazy mock sales situations. Every panelist was prepared to see me on time, stuck with the schedule without rushing, and I felt as thoug hthey were taking me seriously. Key for me was meeting y manager, some marketing folks, HR rep, and a regional VP of one of the business units.

Interview Question – I was coming over from a strong competitor. They were unsure why I would leave such a strong company. I never expected them to say so.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The hiring manager was also in sales for a long time. We both made offers, then met in the middle with mutually agreeable caveats related to advancement and fringe benfits. I demanded a van instead of the sedan.

Worked for PerkinElmer? Contribute to the Community!