PetMeds Interview Questions & Reviews

2 interviews

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Pompano Beach, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Pompano Beach, FL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at PetMeds in January 2010.

I was contacted by an HR rep and was asked to come in for an interview. While still on the phone the very friendly HR Rep conducted her own interview and asked me a lot of questions about myself and my own experiences with good customer service. She told me a lot about the company, it's philosophy, benefits, etc. She was an excellent communicator and seemed like the kind of person I could be friends with.

I showed up for my interview and met with the HR rep I had spoken with on the phone and again she was very warm and put me completely at ease. She gave me some forms to fill out regarding permission for the company to perform a background check and drug testing as well as asking me to list 4 professional references. I was not told earlier to bring reference information, but fortunately I had all but one memorized and I listed a friend whom I'd done some ministry work with as my fourth reference and I explained this to senior management. This took less than 10 minutes.

I was then taken into a manager's office and told more about the company and I was allowed to ask questions, which she seemed to like, and I was asked about my previous job experience. This interview was rather short, maybe 15 minutes. I was then taken to a computer where I took a skills test. After the test, the manager brought me back to her office and we chatted shortly and then took me into a training room where I was to meet with a senior manager.

I waited maybe 10 minutes for him to show up and I saw laying out on the table a copy of my resume with some short handwritten statements about me that were flattering. While waiting I looked out one of those one-way windows to the customer service floor and watched the reps taking phone calls. They seemed abuzz with activity and everyone seemed happy enough. Most were casually dressed and in jeans. The company has a relaxed dress code policy--though the atmosphere was still professional.

The senior manager came in and was very friendly and I spoke to him for over an hour. I really got the feeling this interview was more about them trying to find out what kind of personality I had. They are not looking for sales people. Bottom line--they are looking for people who are going to give 1st class customer service in the most friendly and helpful way--as if you're on the phone with your best friend or mother. He then asked me about what kind of work schedule I wanted--things like what shift I wanted to work, what days I wanted off, etc. He was a lot of fun to talk to and I thought I might be offered the job on the spot. He told me he had 2 more interviews and that someone would be calling me either that day or within 24 hours at the latest to let me know if I got the job.

I was there for a total of about 3 hours. I left really wanting to work there. I did not get a call later that day or even the next day. In fact, no one called. I left a message on the HR rep's voicemail 2 days after my interview and no one called. I left another voicemail a full day and a half after that and still no one called me. Finally, later that day, I got an email from the HR rep stating they chose someone else whose qualifications better matched what they were looking for, although I was a strong candidate. While I figured they had chosen someone else when I didn't get a call within 24 hours as promised, I was very disappointed they had not called at all since I knew I was a strong candidate. The email was a bit impersonal.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a good customer service experience and why was it good?   Answer Question

Corporate Office Position Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at PetMeds in August 2010.

They were seeking someone with mid-to-senior-level experience, but to me, the interview and qualifying tests felt more geared to entry-level candidates. Although we didn't get into detailed salary expectations at the early stage, when I researched their average salaries on Glassdoor, they all seemed below market averages. They didn't call back for a follow-up interview and I must admit I wasn't too disappointed. I think this may be a good company if you need a job right out of college. However, as a mid-to-senior level professional, I didn't feel it was the right place for me and ended up finding better, more professional opportunities elsewhere.

Interview Questions
    • can't remember any particularly difficult questions. All were pretty standard interview questions everyone asks: "why are you leaving present employer", "why did you apply to us", etc.   Answer Question

Worked for PetMeds? Contribute to the Community!