PetSmart Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

2.0

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Starts with a group interview with store leader and hiring manager. 4 candidates answer the same questions as they look for certain qualities. Had us do a skit to demonstrate our selling tactics and techniques.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (Tucson, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

You sit down in front of a panel of people where they ask you what types of pets you have and to describe situations you've been in and explain how you handled them. After the interview they ask you to walk around the store where they will either decline you or give you paperwork for a drug test.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when someone needed your help and how was it handled?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

The process was fairly quick. Applied online and had a call back for the first interview phase with 4 days. Met with manager and also pet care manager, passed that interview and met with assistant manager the next day. Passed that and did the drug test, after that was completed I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a stressful situation/irate customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There really wasn't one. The pay grades are fairly set across the board.

Anonymous Employee in Alhambra, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PetSmart (Alhambra, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

They called me about three days after I applied and asked me to come in a few days later to be interviewed. When I arrived there were seven other candidates waiting, and one interviewer joined us shortly after. It was a fairly easygoing interview - quite conversational (interviewer was very friendly). Each of us were asked four or five questions. The whole thing took 45 minutes maximum. I was happy for the opportunity for interview practice, but, as another reviewer mentioned, it was clear that they were looking for someone with considerable retail experience, and that wasn't in my background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bel Air, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (Bel Air, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

Took about 20 minutes. In and out. Easy questions, with a very personable manager. Great interview experience. Didn't descriminate at all about my job gap or lack of license. Process pushed me right through. I was answered honestly and in full. I was accepted for a second interview, which was just turned into a drug test, the whole process took only a few weeks. I was quickly responded to.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle difficult customers in the past?   Answer Question
    • Are you okay working with all kinds of animals?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever disagreed with any managers? If so how did you resolve your disagreement?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Pretty easy, just asked basic questions like how many hours you can work a week. What type of behavior you have. Asked what type of pay I would like and asked what type of educational background I had.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

The manager I was interviewed by was very friendly and down to earth. We just talked and he asked me the basic questions that are required. It went very well.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online on 11/1 for a new store that was opening up. A few hrs later I got an email saying I passed the prescreening assessment. Then on 11/6 I got a call to set up an interview for 11/13. It was a fairly easy interview and took place in the dog training area. There was no "Describe a time when..." questions, but it was focused heavily on customer service. The whole interview took about 25min. On 11/18 I got the call asking if I was still interested, I have to complete the drug test within 24hr of the call and my starting pay is $8.50.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodinville, WA

Application

interviewed at PetSmart (Woodinville, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Very pleasant and simple interview. Asked some questions about schooling, available hours, and some answers from the application. There were a few questions along the lines of "Describe a time..." involving difficult decisions, a time you didn't have an answer, and others. This was my first job interview, and I was offered the position on the spot. My manager said that her other managers trust her, so I must have made a good first impression. I just went in, explained why I wanted to work with animals and it went well. Just did the drug testing a few days ago and should head in for training soon.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you didn't have the answer to a question. Describe a time you had a new experience with a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Starting me off a little over minimum wage, paying $9.50 (minimum wage in WA is $9.32) and was told I will receive increases with time. This is my first job so it works for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart (Roanoke, VA).

Interview

I called in to the PM at which I wanted a job and asked to speak to the MOD (MANAGER ON DUTY). When he answered, I asked if they had any position openings and if so which ones. I found out they had an opening for the Cashier position, and so I asked if there was a time that I could come and apply. Nowadays, I would bring a Resume, but at the time I was in High School and I didn't think to do that. So I went in (looking professional) and asked the cashier (being friendly and polite) if she could point me in the direction of the MOD. She paged him up and we chatted for a bit about my knowledge, interests, schedule, etc. I will say that even now, years later, that Manager was a spectacular guy. He made me feel at ease and yet was very professional. After our talk, he asked me to fill out an application, but due to my experience with animal training, he also recommended that I apply for another position as well.

Have a few contacts prepared as references, they will call them. Ask the contacts if they are willing to be your reference BEFORE going into the interview or writing them down. (As a reference for some people, I feel less flustered if I know the call is coming, and I can already have things in mind to say about the person.)

Interview Questions

• How long do you think you will be wanting to work for us? (Is this a summer job or a long term deal?)   2 Answers