PetSmart

Average Difficulty
51 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tujunga, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – Applied online and got a call back from the operations manager about two weeks later, went in that Friday and met with both the operations manger and store manager. Was a very easy interview (if that) both managers and I hit it off very good considering we share a love for animals. Was about 45 minutes in total including a couple scenario questions, work experience, and mainly just talking about our pets. I was offered the position on the spot and went in the same day for my drug test. If you sincerely love animals, you have nothing to worry about. If you're just there for a paycheck then look somewhere else.

Interview Question – "how would you assist a customer that comes in with a rowdy puppy that is tearing up their shoes?"
"how would you assist a customer that comes in determined to buy a muzzel for their dog that won't stop barking?"
  View Answer

Glen Carbon, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in September 2013.

Interview Details – The application process is tedious. Those ridiculous surveys asking you the same question repeatedly, determining how consistent you are. If you haven't completed your high school education, don't apply. If you have a atypical name, don't apply. If you have a criminal background, don't apply. They won't even print your application. The interview depends on what you look like and how you come across. I've been involved in hiring decisions. Trust me- that's how it works. If you are professionally dressed, polite, and energetic, you will be hired. If you can't/won't/don't do all of these, don't bother applying.

Interview Question – The questions are basic. The interview consists mostly of role playing that is as much of a farce for the manager interviewing you as the applicant.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – What negotiation? It's retail. You get paid what they offer for less than 28 hours a week, or you don't work.

Littleton, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was a simple interview. Basically they had already decided they wanted to hire me so they just went over the logistics/ signed the paperwork. There is a drug-test, background check, and personality test like most retail jobs. This is a pretty basic position so all in all the hiring process is pretty basic.

Negotiation Details – The pay is set, there was no negotiating but they offer regular raises

Aiken, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – Since moving to this area almost two years ago, I had previously gotten a bad impression of this PetSmart location. Cashiers openly use profanity, make fun of customers before they even walk out the door, or say almost nothing except for grumbling "Do you have a Pet Perks Card?". I figured that there were just a couple of bad apples, who would probably get fired or quit soon enough, and it could still be a decent place to work. I have previous experience at another pet store, other retail experience, and lengthy experience with dogs, snakes, and freshwater fish.

I applied multiple times for almost two years (while working at another store of a different company) and was finally called for an interview.

I was very disappointed. The store manager seemed as if he had just woken up from a nap. He was grouchy and appeared to be half-asleep. He clearly had not prepared for the interview at all. He asked me the same questions a couple of times - this appeared to lack of organization rather than some sort of technique. He basically criticized me for having a couple of short jobs in the past, despite me explaining that I had been a college student and my previous employers would not always work with my school schedule. I got the impression that was trying to "coast" through his day and get out of the place as soon as possible. I didn't feel as though he was genuinely enthusiastic about animals.

He said that they do second interviews, so if he didn't call me back the following week, I could go ahead and "pursue whatever other opportunities" I was looking into. He didn't call me. It was okay because I had no desire to work for him at that point.

Interview Questions

• How can you show customers, *without speaking*, that you are ready to give them good service?   Answer Question
  • When you left your previous jobs, did you leave on good terms with all of the employers?   View Answer

Lauderhill, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in March 2014.

Interview Details – I signed up for the job on the website and they called me within a few days. The interview process occurred around tax season, so it took a little longer than usual (for me, it took about three weeks). The interview was set up in three parts. The first part was a group interview with the store manager. The next interview took place with the hiring manager. The last interview was an individual interview with the store manager. The group interview questions were pretty simple (ex. Why PetSmart?). The hiring manager wanted to know whether I'd be interested in cross-training into other areas (such as Pet Care) and whether I'd be comfortable handling crickets and fish. The last interview involved more details questions (like "How would handle a difficult customer?").

Interview Question – Tell me how you think your previous experience working in such a different field will apply to this job?   View Answer

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Got called 2 days later for an interview. Interviewed the next day. I was hired on the spot. Took the drug test. Then went in 3 days later to do paperwork and start training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted about two weeks later. I came in for one interview and it was very relaxed. I only spoke with one manager and we seemed to click right away. We chatted for about twenty minutes and then she basically told me I had the job and she would contact me in two business days. When she called me, we set up another appointment where I came in for a few minutes so she could ask me what I'd like to be paid and when I could do the drug test.

I did the drug test the following day but didn't hear back from PetSmart until nearly a week later when I was told I had the job.

Interview Question – "Pretend I am a customer who appears to be looking for a dog collar, how would you approach me and what would you say? How would you help me find the item I need?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked what pay I'd accept and I should've asked for a little more. I suggested a certain amount and the manager actually upped the amount. I probably could have asked for a full dollar more an hour. Take a look at the Salaries reported here on GlassDoor for PetSmart, they're pretty accurate. Also, keep in mind your experience level and what you've been paid in the past for similar work.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in June 2012.

Interview Details – Got a call to interview, went in about 2 days later to interview with the Assistant General Manager, was a structured interview. Had to go back for a second interview with the General Manager and AGM, was asked the same questions with the GM and the AGM.

Interview Question – What challenge did you have at your previous job and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Aurora, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2011.

Interview Details – I received a call to interview within the next few days. I was asked questions about my previous experience in retail, my experience with animals, and why I applied to PetSmart specifically. The interview also consisted of an impromptu creative test in which I was asked to find a dog toy to match the manager's request (the manager pretended to be a customer).

Interview Question – Asked what made PetSmart special (e.g., vs PetCo), also asked to retrieve a dog toy.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – For me, the interview process was simple. I knew some of the people who worked in the store. They introduced me to the manager. I applied at the store and was hired. Now though all applications must be done online. It wouldn't hurt though to make some "friends" in the store.

Interview Question – No big difficult questions.   Answer Question

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!