PetSmart

2.1

58 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lauderhill, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lauderhill, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in March 2014.

I signed up for the job on the website and they called me within a few days. The interview process occurred around tax season, so it took a little longer than usual (for me, it took about three weeks). The interview was set up in three parts. The first part was a group interview with the store manager. The next interview took place with the hiring manager. The last interview was an individual interview with the store manager. The group interview questions were pretty simple (ex. Why PetSmart?). The hiring manager wanted to know whether I'd be interested in cross-training into other areas (such as Pet Care) and whether I'd be comfortable handling crickets and fish. The last interview involved more details questions (like "How would handle a difficult customer?").

Interview Questions
  • Tell me how you think your previous experience working in such a different field will apply to this job?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at PetSmart.

For me, the interview process was simple. I knew some of the people who worked in the store. They introduced me to the manager. I applied at the store and was hired. Now though all applications must be done online. It wouldn't hurt though to make some "friends" in the store.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

submitted application online, heard back two months later. after that process was speedy and I was working within two days. interview was on day but was somewhat long probably about an hour.

Interview Questions
    yes they will start you out higher if you have experience

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

At the end, the store manager asks you basic questions. Hands you a product and will ask you to try to sell it to him

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2013.

I applied online. I got a call back less than a week later. I got an interview the next day after the phone call. I only had 1 interview and "got hired" on the spot, but would have to pass a drug test that they promptly gave me the lab work for and I went and took care of that right away. The interview only lasted about 10 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were not difficult. He wanted to know why I wanted to work there, and for what schedules. He wanted to know what I was going to school for and what kind of experience I had with cashiering, customer service, and animals.   Answer Question
    Well he offered me the job and I took it. We shook on it. My advice is to dress and look nice, smile, be prepared to answer questions, and go in there with experience in cashiering, customer service, and animal related work. I'm pretty sure that it's the animal related work that ultimately got me the job, because his face lit up when I told him about it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Carbon, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Carbon, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in September 2013.

The application process is tedious. Those ridiculous surveys asking you the same question repeatedly, determining how consistent you are. If you haven't completed your high school education, don't apply. If you have a atypical name, don't apply. If you have a criminal background, don't apply. They won't even print your application. The interview depends on what you look like and how you come across. I've been involved in hiring decisions. Trust me- that's how it works. If you are professionally dressed, polite, and energetic, you will be hired. If you can't/won't/don't do all of these, don't bother applying.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are basic. The interview consists mostly of role playing that is as much of a farce for the manager interviewing you as the applicant.   Answer Question
    What negotiation? It's retail. You get paid what they offer for less than 28 hours a week, or you don't work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upland, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PetSmart in September 2013.

2 interviews. one with any manager and second with general manager.
    first interview the ask you simple questions on why you want to work there, how would you fit in. yada yada, care for animals. second interview is something you wouldn't expect.. the GM asked me to sell him a puppy kit. which at the time I had no idea of. he didn't let me open it, just look at it and convince him to buy it. I honestly have no idea how I got the job because the second interview was terrible. btw, now that I've been working there for over year and know how to sell a puppy kit.. just by looking at it during the in terrors there was no possible way it could have gone well. i was set up for failure. ASK TO OPEN IT AND SAY "the coupon for food is 15 dollars off and the coupon for grooming is 10.. just by those two coupons it pays for itself and you get the other coupons!"

Interview Questions
    how much are you getting paid currently at your job? your reply "8.25" then they say "we'll offer you 8.50!" .__.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in May 2013.

First interview was a little hard, but not too bad. Only lasted about 20 minutes. Second interview was very easy and short. Basically just asked why I would be good for the job. Told me what I would be paid. Offered me the job on the spot, as long as I was willing to drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to learn something new.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart in May 2013.

I filled out their unbelievably long online application and didn't expect to hear back. I've filled it out before and never heard anything. This time, I heard back within a week. He asked me if I could come in the next day for an interview. I showed up early but he was really nice about it. We chatted casually. It wasn't anything intimidating. He asked me why I wanted to work there, why I left previous jobs, what my availability was like. That was about it. They don't really care about whether or not you're a good fit. They just care about whether or not your availability matches up with what they need at the moment. He said I'd probably get trained as a cashier and a bather so they can put me where they need me since they really wanted someone with open availability and I was only available nights/weekends.

I didn't think the interview went well at first because he brought me in even though my availability wasn't what they wanted, so I didn't think I'd be hired. He said I should hear back within three days. The next day, he called me and asked me to come in to get paperwork for a drug test. I took the drug test Friday, tomorrow is Tuesday and I go in to fill out new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, standard questions: why did you leave your previous jobs? What animals are you unwilling to work with?   Answer Question
    They start above minimum wage (between 8.00 and 8.25) so if you're negotiating, I'd start at 8.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

I first applied online and went in a week later to check on the status of the application in person. The General Manager told me to write my name down and she would pull my application and review it. I called about a week after that to see if they reviewed it and the Hiring Manager pulled it on the phone and asked me to come in two days later for an interview. I went in and the interview went very well. Very casual, nothing hard. He sent me for a drug test that day and told me they'd get back to me by Monday (This was Wednesday). I called them on Monday because they didn't call me and they said that another store had me locked in a background check, so they couldn't get to it until that day and they would run it through and call me back when it's finished. 3 days later, he called me to tell me that everything went through fine and to come in the following Monday for paperwork!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard. He asked me about my last job and my availability. He also asked two "interviewy" questions:" Why PetSmart?" And, "How would you sell a leash/collar to someone who is looking?"   View Answer