PetSmart

2.1

61 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in May 2013.

First interview was a little hard, but not too bad. Only lasted about 20 minutes. Second interview was very easy and short. Basically just asked why I would be good for the job. Told me what I would be paid. Offered me the job on the spot, as long as I was willing to drug test.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a situation where you had to learn something new.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart in May 2013.

I filled out their unbelievably long online application and didn't expect to hear back. I've filled it out before and never heard anything. This time, I heard back within a week. He asked me if I could come in the next day for an interview. I showed up early but he was really nice about it. We chatted casually. It wasn't anything intimidating. He asked me why I wanted to work there, why I left previous jobs, what my availability was like. That was about it. They don't really care about whether or not you're a good fit. They just care about whether or not your availability matches up with what they need at the moment. He said I'd probably get trained as a cashier and a bather so they can put me where they need me since they really wanted someone with open availability and I was only available nights/weekends.

I didn't think the interview went well at first because he brought me in even though my availability wasn't what they wanted, so I didn't think I'd be hired. He said I should hear back within three days. The next day, he called me and asked me to come in to get paperwork for a drug test. I took the drug test Friday, tomorrow is Tuesday and I go in to fill out new hire paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, standard questions: why did you leave your previous jobs? What animals are you unwilling to work with?   Answer Question
    They start above minimum wage (between 8.00 and 8.25) so if you're negotiating, I'd start at 8.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

I first applied online and went in a week later to check on the status of the application in person. The General Manager told me to write my name down and she would pull my application and review it. I called about a week after that to see if they reviewed it and the Hiring Manager pulled it on the phone and asked me to come in two days later for an interview. I went in and the interview went very well. Very casual, nothing hard. He sent me for a drug test that day and told me they'd get back to me by Monday (This was Wednesday). I called them on Monday because they didn't call me and they said that another store had me locked in a background check, so they couldn't get to it until that day and they would run it through and call me back when it's finished. 3 days later, he called me to tell me that everything went through fine and to come in the following Monday for paperwork!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too hard. He asked me about my last job and my availability. He also asked two "interviewy" questions:" Why PetSmart?" And, "How would you sell a leash/collar to someone who is looking?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockaway, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockaway, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in April 2013.

Online applications really count with this company. You'll get a phone call, don't show up in person over and over, it's really creepy. You'll be called in for an interview, sometimes hired on the spot, other times you'll get a call a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for minimum amount of money at our store?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Very clean cut interview process. First had a group interview with very basic Q&A as well as info about working at the company as a whole. Second interview was 1:1 with more individual/job specific questions. I was called after the second interview for a job offer. There is a required drug test before employment starts.

Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Very informal first interview. Just asked typical questions about background.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2012.

The hiring process is rough for a cashier. Two interviews--one with the Operations Manager (Assistant Store Manager) and Store Manager. Neither are particularly difficult, but the first interview with the Ops Manager is a little more rough. They will ask you questions about specific instances like team work, etc. and then grade your response on a little sheet. The second interview with the Store Manager was pretty laid back for me, and it was definitely more "how I fit into the culture" rather than how my work style. You get asked things like, "sell me this pen" and in-depth questions about your pets.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They told me I'd be starting a little bit above minimum.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in June 2012.

Got a call to interview, went in about 2 days later to interview with the Assistant General Manager, was a structured interview. Had to go back for a second interview with the General Manager and AGM, was asked the same questions with the GM and the AGM.

Interview Questions
    • What challenge did you have at your previous job and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, NC

The process took a dayinterviewed at PetSmart in May 2012.

This interview was for a new location, so the interviews were held at a local hotel. The interviewer was very nice and asked a few questions, mostly situational based. She also asked me a few times if I had any questions for her. This was my first ever interview and I choked on one of the questions which I think lost me the job. Overall though it was a good interview process, the interviewer did her best to make me feel comfortable and edge me in the right direction for answering her questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to deal with an unusually difficult customer.   Answer Question
    • Name a time when you disagreed with an authority figure, and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in March 2012.

I applied online, I received a call from the manager 2 days later, I was asked a few questions over the phone, We scheduled a 1:1 interview. During the interview the questions were mostly about my last job and situational questions. I was called in 4 days later for a second interview with the regional manager. Those questions were also situational questions about working with people and animals. 5 Days later I received a call that my background check came out fine and I needed to submit a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle crickets and snakes?   Answer Question
    • When have you had to deal with a problem customer?   Answer Question
    • What kind of pets do you have and how do feel about being exposed to pet dander?   Answer Question
    No Negotiation