PetSmart Department Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Reno, NV
Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I interviewed through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in October 2013.

First, there was a screening interview with a very professional HR Manager (nice lady). Then, there was a 30 minute test dealing with words meaning, basic math. One week later, I interviewed by a GM.

The interview was focused my job/skill interests AND the manager wanted to understand in great detail why I had left my last two employers. The GM got "stuck" on why I left each of my former employers which had a average stay time of 6 years each. He seemed want to understand motives.

There as very direct questions regarding what shifts I would be interested in working. I was asked what I liked most about working for X company.

I was asked questions about dealing with difficult people, improving employee satisfaction, and improving a process. Interviewer wanted examples....

Interview Questions
  • The interview was focused my job/skill interests AND the manager wanted to understand in great detail why I had left my last two employers. The GM got "stuck" on why I left each of my former employers which had a average stay time of 6 years each. At one point, I heard myself saying "let's get on with the interview."

There as very direct questions about what type of shifts I would be interested in working. I was asked what I liked most about working for X company.

Petsmart has had the opportunity open for several months and still has yet to make a decision any another candidate. If you are looking for a job in 60 days you are wasting your time interviewing at the DC level. They can NOT make decisions in reasonable time.
      Answer Question

Pay is VERY low. DM's earn equal to supervisors are other DC's. One of the lower paying companies,
24/7 operations which means possible rotation on a shift you do you want.
4 day a week schedule still requires you come in for meetings on your day off every three weeks.
I did not feel I would grow here. It's more for those attending school and so on.
The pay is about the same as it was years ago according to those I know that were offered positiones there years ago.
The bonus package is average but not great.
Company seemed to want to sell themselves as a "preferred" employer but really they were not different than all others in the industry.
GM did not sell me that his site was a good place to work Vs other places.
During my research, I learned one supervisor recently left to another company for higher pay. This will be an ongoing issue with PetSmart, yet they hold DM's accountable turnover for not paying a fair wage of the warehouse work as a manager. People want to be paid to a fair wage.

Other Interview Reviews for PetSmart

Department Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2009.

It was pretty basic. I arrived about 15min early had to wait an additional 10min or so. Went into the office was asked the basics why do you want to work here, what are your long term goals, tell me about your prior exp. after talking for about an hour we took a tour of the store and got mild background on what my position would consist of talked wages and left with the ability to think over the offer and call back the next day

Interview Questions

they hourly rate was far lower then i was willing to take

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!