PetSmart

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.3

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Petsmart is looking for experience and a passion for pets. The first part is typical "why petsmart" type questions, and it is clear from leadership that animals should be a passion. This is also a positive because that means re team is filled associates that have the same views. All questions were situational. Tell me about a time you did this.... There were a lot, and many you could speak of the same scenario, however that felt like a trap.

4 interviews total over a few weeks. All with different field level managers. Nice experience, each went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Biggest weakness, how it would prevent you from succeeding in this position.   Answer Question
    First offer was sufficient, no negotiation needed.

Petcare Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

Process took about a 3 weeks. I applied at multiple locations and was called about two weeks later. First interview consisted of asking about prior experience with animals and if I was comfortable with them. Other questions were the usual situational interview Q's such as "tell me av time when you had to communicate with other workers to accomplish a goal or finish a project". The seconds interview was with the operations manager whereas the first interview was with store manager. Second interview consisted of going over availability as well as willingness to work across departments if needed as well as to practice approaching the customers. I was offered the job that day after completion of a drug test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation possible as PetSmart starts almost everybody off at mid 7-8 an hour.

Facilities Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

PetSmart's interview process is quite arduous. You will interview with at least six individuals. PetSmart's interviewers are trained to discern how well the candidate will fit within the PetSmart culture; they will use behavioral questions regarding decision-making, accountability,ethics, personal growth, etc. It's a good idea to prepare so that you can supply personal examples in each of these areas. Be prepared to show your passion for pets.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for this question: If you had limited money available, would you prioritize preventive maintenance of break/fix?   View Answer

Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

It is almost impossible to prepare for this interview! I applied online and I had to call them to get an interview. I went in and the interview was really difficult. a lot were typical questions but they ask you to give a lot of scenario answers. If you do not have experience retailing to people and currently own a dog you are not going to have any idea what to say in this interview. they picked out a random item in the store and asked me to try to sell it. I was told the interview went really well and I was scheduled to come in for my second one the next day. the second one went over more scenarios like how would you comfort a dog owner who is unsure to leave there pet there. he had me talk to the salon manager too. they want people who want to become groomers so sell how much you want to be a groomer. If you don't really love dogs this is not the job for you. they told me you will get pooped on, peed on, possibly bit, and will be soaking wet and covered in hair all the time. I was told they would review my first interview and I should get a call in two days. three days have passed and I still haven't got a call and this is the second petsmart that has done this to me. I thought I did really well in the interview and I have no idea why I didn't an offer. they really make you jump through hoops for a job that isn't really that great and doesn't pay that well. I honestly just wanted them to send me to the grooming school for free

Interview Questions
    • I'm unsure to leave my pet in the salon, tell me how you would comfort me   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

I applied online, I got a call back the next day to set up an interview time. I went in the next day for my interview, the manager was very nice and understanding that this was my first interview ever. She asked lots of explain a time questions, she had me sell her a dog leash and other basic questions about myself. She said I would get a call back within a week. I never did. So finally I decided to call the store myself and see what the status was, then they told me they decided to go with someone who had more experience.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where completely disagreed with an business policy.   Answer Question

Pet Products Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

If you need a job in less than a month, this might not be the place for you. I applied multiple times at different locations and finally got a call back after about two months. Came in for an interview which was very laid back. I got a very good feel, but yet still hadn't heard anything after almost a week. I gave the store manager a call and she told me the position was not available because of restructuring. No sour feelings so I applied at a different location. Got an interview about a week later and behold the store manager I interviewed with worked there. Second interview with her presentation manager was a little more standard but still not difficult. Got an offer for 13$/hour next day (of course I was told they had a beyond urgent need so... ).

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult as long as you're prepared. Role playing was the most difficult since I hate those scenarios.   Answer Question
    Might've been able to negotiate, but was offered 13$ on the spot and was tired of my job so I took it. Considering it's entry level, it's nit bad compared to what majority of companies pay.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

I applied online on 11/1 for a new store that was opening up. A few hrs later I got an email saying I passed the prescreening assessment. Then on 11/6 I got a call to set up an interview for 11/13. It was a fairly easy interview and took place in the dog training area. There was no "Describe a time when..." questions, but it was focused heavily on customer service. The whole interview took about 25min. On 11/18 I got the call asking if I was still interested, I have to complete the drug test within 24hr of the call and my starting pay is $8.50.

Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I arrived 15 minutes early and had to wait for one of the managers to come back to the store (apparently he had a late lunch break that day). When he arrived, we entered this very small room. He was very friendly and said he had called his saloon manager to join us to avoid having to get me to come back another day for a second interview. They were very laid back and made me feel super comfortable. Interview was very quick and took me about 15 minutes. They asked me questions related to sales as well as some to get to know me better, such as "describe the last time you learned something new". At the end, they just handed me the paper to take the drug test within the next 24 hs, I took the test and now I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Associate Interview

Be prepared for at least two interviews. THe manager is using a interview guide. They are supposed to get you to role play on the sales floor. Do not go in and say how much you like puppies and kittens, you will not get hired. They want people that can SELL they want people that like pets. They do not want pet fanatics that are going to criticize every policy. They are looking for knowledge and sales.

Interview Questions
    • Tell them how much you like to see the company make money and how much you like to help people find solutions for their pets. Tell them how you want to grow with the company   View Answer
    You are going to get what they can give. There is very little wiggle room. Upper management has to approve anything outside of guidelines and in the current PetSmart environment this will not happen. They wil simply make you an offer. Accept it or they will move on.

Support Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview with the Store Manager and District Manager. You apply online and may or may not get a call back. If you are sure that you are a fit for the position, go into the store and ask for the Op or Store manager, politely introduce yourself and what position you applied. Be confident, but not cocky, and make sure to tell them you just wanted to put a face to the name. It may take time for you to get the 1st interview, but if that happens a DM interview should take place within 1 to 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • That has been years ago. But typically they are looking for love of animals, people who do not call out sick, have great customer service skills and can multi task an assortment of tasks or problems without getting fustrated. Understand that this may vary by each store and their DM.   Answer Question
    I accepted the wage they offered