PetSmart Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014
Updated Aug 27, 2014

2.3

Buyer Technician Interview

Behavior Interviewing, while every single person from the merchandising department interviews you. There are several rounds for such a low paying job. They shouldnt take a $14 an hour job so serious.

there was none, you take what they give you

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

Well i had a good experience with the interview process. The store manager was really fun and laid back and made you feel really comfortable about everything. Then i had to meet with another store manager a week later where she was the opposite of the first manager but still a great interview. Petsmart process for some takes really long and they lose good candidates because of the slow process. My process took maybe 2 to 3 weeks only because they really liked me and said they didn't want this process to be slow so they actually went in and did everything to get me in there. Overall, it was a good process and the people seem genuine. I start next week and hope it'll be a great job.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Unless you never worked with pets a question for me was, "What would you do if a dog was injured or died while in the custody of petsmart."   View Answer
    I was offered 50k so i didn't negotiate because i thought it was a fair an offer and above the average of 47k.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roanoke, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roanoke, VA

I applied in-person - interviewed at PetSmart.

I called in to the PM at which I wanted a job and asked to speak to the MOD (MANAGER ON DUTY). When he answered, I asked if they had any position openings and if so which ones. I found out they had an opening for the Cashier position, and so I asked if there was a time that I could come and apply. Nowadays, I would bring a Resume, but at the time I was in High School and I didn't think to do that. So I went in (looking professional) and asked the cashier (being friendly and polite) if she could point me in the direction of the MOD. She paged him up and we chatted for a bit about my knowledge, interests, schedule, etc. I will say that even now, years later, that Manager was a spectacular guy. He made me feel at ease and yet was very professional. After our talk, he asked me to fill out an application, but due to my experience with animal training, he also recommended that I apply for another position as well.

Have a few contacts prepared as references, they will call them. Ask the contacts if they are willing to be your reference BEFORE going into the interview or writing them down. (As a reference for some people, I feel less flustered if I know the call is coming, and I can already have things in mind to say about the person.)

Interview Questions
    • How long do you think you will be wanting to work for us? (Is this a summer job or a long term deal?)   View Answer

Pet Care Specialist-Petshotel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online and got a call about two weeks later. Had an interview the next day which were basic interview questions like "tell me about yourself?" "What kind of breeds of dogs or animals are you not comfortable with?". Then got a call back a week later and again had an interview the next day but with the store manager. Same questions were asked and then they sent me to take drug test and scheduled when to come in for orientation process. Just be yourself, look nice, and just don't be stupid.

Interview Questions
    • Most were pretty simple and just common sense. "What would you do if a customer asked a question and you didn't know the answer?"   View Answer
    I put down 9/hr and that is what they gave me.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online, got a call a couple days later to set a time for an interview that we set after the weekend. I went in and was surprised that they asked pretty difficult questions that I wasn't prepared for, nor did I have the experience to give a proper answer (it would've been my first job). They had me answer questions one on one with two people, they switched places after the first finished. The reason I say the interview is average is because I wasn't prepared, but I could see it being an easy interview if you were prepared.

Interview Questions
    • It was a lot of 'describe a time you did this' type questions.   Answer Question

Pet Trainer Instructor Interview

I was interviewed by both managers and was asked about my background with dogs. One of the managers was very nice and gauged my personality while the other manager looked at very technical things. I arrived a few minutes early and it seemed to make a good impression.

Dog Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buckhead, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME APPLYING/INTERVIEWING HEREI arrived at the interview 10 minutes early. There was a little confusion the hiring manger had taken there lunch break. I waited about 15 minutes. The other manger decided to bring me in the office and interview me. He said he liked me and would lover to hire me and cross train me for register.The other hiring manger arrived ended up interviewing with hat manger as well. Got hired and asked to take a drug test the same day. Went and took it and i know I passed i dont drink or do drugs. I called back a few days later the manger said we will call you when were ready to come in. CALLED AGAIN same thing no direct answer DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME . apply at another pet smart

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied online - interviewed at PetSmart.

Applied online and got a call a few weeks later. Had first interview with the store manager, which was very easy and relaxed. He told me that they recently had fire a few employees that were slacking and were looking for people who really cared about their jobs. He asked me to come in for an interview with the Pet Care manager the next day.

My second interview was a bit harder, but still pretty relaxed and I was asked to answer a few situational questions. He gave me the forms for the drug test at the end of the interview and basically if I pass the drug test they'll call me and give me the job.

Interview Questions
    • "Try to sell me all the supplies I'd need for a rabbit and give me some information on them."   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2011.

I applied online for a job at a new store. Within 2 weeks, I received a call back. I interviewed at a local store about 45 minutes away. There were two different managers who interviewed me one after the other. During the interview they also felt around to see how I would do with other job duties.

Interview Questions
    • Given that it was a few years ago, I don't remember the details, but the application and interview had standard questions.   Answer Question

Animal Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online for multiple positions at my local PetSmart. It took about 6months for me to finally hear back (they were not hiring when I first applied). I went in for interview #1 with I believe to be the shift manager. He was very nice and kept the interview friendly and comfortable. He asked simple questions about myself, my past jon experience and my future goals. At the end, he informed me he was sending me on to step two which is a second interview with the store manager. About two days later I got a call for my second interview with the store manager. My store manager was not there but another manager from a new store elsewhere was available and she interviewed me. Similar questions as the first and by the end she offered me the job and explained the next step in the process along with sending me off for the pre-employment drug screening. I was officially offered a job a week later.

Interview Questions
    There really was no negotiation. On my online application I put down $9/hour as my starting pay request and they were more than happy to start me at $9.25. Each store is different but as long as you go in with an open mind, you'll do fine.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!