PetSmart

2.3

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at PetSmart in February 2010.

Do not talk about negative things. I spent to much time talking about what I did not like at my current job. it is important that you are able to answer some tough questions in regards to how you would handle certain situations. Please come prepared with information about the company

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2010.

I had (2) very detailed phone interviews with PetSmart. One was with the person I would be reporting to and the other with the person I would be replacing. The initial phone interview was intimidating to the point of frightening (and I don't frighten easily). The woman was unemotional and purposely asked questions not relating at all to the job description and in fact asked questions not relating to my field at all. The intimidation interview technique is one that is out-dated and unneccessary and I did not appreciate it whatsoever. I was shocked to hear they wanted a second. The second interview was long and full of the same questions; however, the phase the project was in as told to me by the first person was not at all the phase the second person told me it was in. How could a subordinate and her supervisor be so completely opposite in their view of what phase the project was in?? This was one of many red flags. I did research on the company while waiting for their decision and spoke to people who had actually worked for PetSmart and every single person told me to run away very fast. In the meantime, I received 3 other job offers and would not have taken the PetSmart job had they offered based on the horrible interviews and the way I heard that employees are treated. I even had an interviewer from another company (who offered me a job btw) tell me that PetSmart is known for throwing huge salaries at people to get them in the door. That was exactly the case with this job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience in Retail Finance?   View Answer

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in February 2012.

Applied directly on the website, gone through the recruiter phone interview ,hiring manager phone interview and then had a 4 hour 1-1 interview. I even took that day off for the interview. Every hour consisted of a 1:1 with hiring manager, Architect, Manager and another group manager individually. Each round has atleast 3 sets of behavioral questions with situation, how was that overcome and the result. I know I did not do my technical very well, but I was not bad. I was even asked to fill the drug test and my history form before the interview. I was hopeful that I will clear the interview, but in 3 days, the recruiter called and gave the bad news..Tech was about UML, design patterns etc.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online to the position of Operations Manager. After about a week I received a call and set up an interview. The first interview was with another Operations. Manager. I found this manager to be very personable and he put me at ease during the interview. He was very upbeat and really seemed to love working for Petsmart. The next day the Store Manager of the store needing to hire an Operations Manager called me and we set up an interview a few days latter.

This Store Manager had a very different personality then the previous one. He seemed to be a bit cold and was very direct. To this point I was not asked any really difficult questions but I did start to wonder if I would enjoy working here. He described the position of consisting of five 10 hour workdays. What ever happened to the 40-hour workweek in America and the idea of work/life balance? Anyway, I received a phone call from the Store Manager about 2 hours after leaving. He wanted me to come back in right away for my third interview this time with the District Manager and we set up a time for the next day.

When I arrived at the store the following day for the interview I alerted a cashier that I was here and if she could let the D.M. know. She stated that she didn't think the DM was in but she would tell Store Manager. Within less then 30 seconds two women one of them being the DM approached me. I was escorted to a small conference room where the interview would take place. As we were walking to the conference room we passed by the Store Manager who hardly even acknowledged me.

I am still not sure who the other woman was in the room with us as she said almost nothing and remained stoned faced throughout the interview. I assume she was from the HR department. Once the interview began it felt more like an interrogation then an interview. For the next hour I was drilled on my background, what I did, why I did things, how I did things and the outcome, what I would do differently etc.

Now I understand behavioral based interviews but I felt as though I was put on the defensive and I even felt as though the DM was a little condescending. Needless to say I did not come away with a good feeling I actually left feeling a little upset by the experience. Oh yes and as I was leaving the store the Store Manger was walking past me with another associate, again he hardly even acknowledged me as I walked past him.

The most unexpected thing that happened to me during the interview was at the end the DM asked me what questions I had and when I asked about growth opportunities. The DM responded in a way that made me feel like I was in a performance review. She said something along the lines of, "Well I think this position would be challenging for you because you don't have a lot of inventory experience. You have great experience in people development and coaching which is something that many of our Operations Mangers lack but I think you would have a lot to learn about our services and inventory systems etc."

Of course with any new position with a new company I expect challenges. I welcome them and I hope to learn new things. However, I have 20 years or retail experience and I have managed up to 100 employees at a store that did over $20MM in annual sales. During my 20 years don't you think I would have been responsible for inventory results? Don't you think I would know a little something about operations, inventory, shrink, scheduling etc? During my career some of the positions I have held have been Customer Service Manager, Assistant Manager, Inventory Coordinator, Store Manager, Associate Manager, General Manager and others. I have had Assistant Managers whose division of responsibility was inventory/operations report directly to me. So I was not only surprised but I nearly fell off my chair when she said this to me. I was so shocked by her statement that I was at a loss for words.

Being a customer of Petsmart I no longer feel like I even want to shop here never mind work here.

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at PetSmart.

Very Lengthy, over 7 interviews and a panel interview I underwent many tests these took a few hours. Leadership did not make us feel comfortable or did anything to make us feel relaxed. The admin person did all the heave work. Flew to Toronto for the interview, I was there for 2 days. Not my best experience.

Bather Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

It is almost impossible to prepare for this interview! I applied online and I had to call them to get an interview. I went in and the interview was really difficult. a lot were typical questions but they ask you to give a lot of scenario answers. If you do not have experience retailing to people and currently own a dog you are not going to have any idea what to say in this interview. they picked out a random item in the store and asked me to try to sell it. I was told the interview went really well and I was scheduled to come in for my second one the next day. the second one went over more scenarios like how would you comfort a dog owner who is unsure to leave there pet there. he had me talk to the salon manager too. they want people who want to become groomers so sell how much you want to be a groomer. If you don't really love dogs this is not the job for you. they told me you will get pooped on, peed on, possibly bit, and will be soaking wet and covered in hair all the time. I was told they would review my first interview and I should get a call in two days. three days have passed and I still haven't got a call and this is the second petsmart that has done this to me. I thought I did really well in the interview and I have no idea why I didn't an offer. they really make you jump through hoops for a job that isn't really that great and doesn't pay that well. I honestly just wanted them to send me to the grooming school for free

Interview Questions
    • I'm unsure to leave my pet in the salon, tell me how you would comfort me   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Upland, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at PetSmart in September 2013.

2 interviews. one with any manager and second with general manager.
    first interview the ask you simple questions on why you want to work there, how would you fit in. yada yada, care for animals. second interview is something you wouldn't expect.. the GM asked me to sell him a puppy kit. which at the time I had no idea of. he didn't let me open it, just look at it and convince him to buy it. I honestly have no idea how I got the job because the second interview was terrible. btw, now that I've been working there for over year and know how to sell a puppy kit.. just by looking at it during the in terrors there was no possible way it could have gone well. i was set up for failure. ASK TO OPEN IT AND SAY "the coupon for food is 15 dollars off and the coupon for grooming is 10.. just by those two coupons it pays for itself and you get the other coupons!"

Interview Questions
    how much are you getting paid currently at your job? your reply "8.25" then they say "we'll offer you 8.50!" .__.

Facilities Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

PetSmart's interview process is quite arduous. You will interview with at least six individuals. PetSmart's interviewers are trained to discern how well the candidate will fit within the PetSmart culture; they will use behavioral questions regarding decision-making, accountability,ethics, personal growth, etc. It's a good idea to prepare so that you can supply personal examples in each of these areas. Be prepared to show your passion for pets.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for this question: If you had limited money available, would you prioritize preventive maintenance of break/fix?   View Answer

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in May 2014.

I was referred to them through a friend. I had multiple email conversations prior to a phone interview. The person interviewing me was the one I would be working for as well. We spent close to an hour on the phone with him questioning me on various topics, then asking me followup questions that let me know he was paying attention. He told me quite a bit about the diverse culture and politics that go on there daily but told me it wasn't typically political from day to day. I was pretty happy with what I heard and he thought I would make a good fit as well. Two days later he apologized and let me know nepotism played a part in me not getting the position.

Interview Questions
    • Talk me through the worst day ever where you are currently employed. What happened, how did you handle it and what, if any were the long term effects?   Answer Question

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

Initial Phone Screen performed by a Recruiter, to review resume and qualifications; knowledge of the company; if you align to company mission. Then 30-60 minute phone interview with direct leader, followed by 5-10 hours of in person 1-1 interviews with multiple members of the organization. These cover situational and skill-set based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Many situational questions, nothing sneaky, just very detailed.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, had pre-discussed expectations and they were met but not exceeded.