PetSmart Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
340 interviews

2.3

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online to the position of Operations Manager. After about a week I received a call and set up an interview. The first interview was with another Operations. Manager. I found this manager to be very personable and he put me at ease during the interview. He was very upbeat and really seemed to love working for Petsmart. The next day the Store Manager of the store needing to hire an Operations Manager called me and we set up an interview a few days latter.

This Store Manager had a very different personality then the previous one. He seemed to be a bit cold and was very direct. To this point I was not asked any really difficult questions but I did start to wonder if I would enjoy working here. He described the position of consisting of five 10 hour workdays. What ever happened to the 40-hour workweek in America and the idea of work/life balance? Anyway, I received a phone call from the Store Manager about 2 hours after leaving. He wanted me to come back in right away for my third interview this time with the District Manager and we set up a time for the next day.

When I arrived at the store the following day for the interview I alerted a cashier that I was here and if she could let the D.M. know. She stated that she didn't think the DM was in but she would tell Store Manager. Within less then 30 seconds two women one of them being the DM approached me. I was escorted to a small conference room where the interview would take place. As we were walking to the conference room we passed by the Store Manager who hardly even acknowledged me.

I am still not sure who the other woman was in the room with us as she said almost nothing and remained stoned faced throughout the interview. I assume she was from the HR department. Once the interview began it felt more like an interrogation then an interview. For the next hour I was drilled on my background, what I did, why I did things, how I did things and the outcome, what I would do differently etc.

Now I understand behavioral based interviews but I felt as though I was put on the defensive and I even felt as though the DM was a little condescending. Needless to say I did not come away with a good feeling I actually left feeling a little upset by the experience. Oh yes and as I was leaving the store the Store Manger was walking past me with another associate, again he hardly even acknowledged me as I walked past him.

The most unexpected thing that happened to me during the interview was at the end the DM asked me what questions I had and when I asked about growth opportunities. The DM responded in a way that made me feel like I was in a performance review. She said something along the lines of, "Well I think this position would be challenging for you because you don't have a lot of inventory experience. You have great experience in people development and coaching which is something that many of our Operations Mangers lack but I think you would have a lot to learn about our services and inventory systems etc."

Of course with any new position with a new company I expect challenges. I welcome them and I hope to learn new things. However, I have 20 years or retail experience and I have managed up to 100 employees at a store that did over $20MM in annual sales. During my 20 years don't you think I would have been responsible for inventory results? Don't you think I would know a little something about operations, inventory, shrink, scheduling etc? During my career some of the positions I have held have been Customer Service Manager, Assistant Manager, Inventory Coordinator, Store Manager, Associate Manager, General Manager and others. I have had Assistant Managers whose division of responsibility was inventory/operations report directly to me. So I was not only surprised but I nearly fell off my chair when she said this to me. I was so shocked by her statement that I was at a loss for words.

Being a customer of Petsmart I no longer feel like I even want to shop here never mind work here.

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in February 2012.

Applied directly on the website, gone through the recruiter phone interview ,hiring manager phone interview and then had a 4 hour 1-1 interview. I even took that day off for the interview. Every hour consisted of a 1:1 with hiring manager, Architect, Manager and another group manager individually. Each round has atleast 3 sets of behavioral questions with situation, how was that overcome and the result. I know I did not do my technical very well, but I was not bad. I was even asked to fill the drug test and my history form before the interview. I was hopeful that I will clear the interview, but in 3 days, the recruiter called and gave the bad news..Tech was about UML, design patterns etc.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in October 2010.

I had (2) very detailed phone interviews with PetSmart. One was with the person I would be reporting to and the other with the person I would be replacing. The initial phone interview was intimidating to the point of frightening (and I don't frighten easily). The woman was unemotional and purposely asked questions not relating at all to the job description and in fact asked questions not relating to my field at all. The intimidation interview technique is one that is out-dated and unneccessary and I did not appreciate it whatsoever. I was shocked to hear they wanted a second. The second interview was long and full of the same questions; however, the phase the project was in as told to me by the first person was not at all the phase the second person told me it was in. How could a subordinate and her supervisor be so completely opposite in their view of what phase the project was in?? This was one of many red flags. I did research on the company while waiting for their decision and spoke to people who had actually worked for PetSmart and every single person told me to run away very fast. In the meantime, I received 3 other job offers and would not have taken the PetSmart job had they offered based on the horrible interviews and the way I heard that employees are treated. I even had an interviewer from another company (who offered me a job btw) tell me that PetSmart is known for throwing huge salaries at people to get them in the door. That was exactly the case with this job.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have experience in Retail Finance?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in February 2010.

Do not talk about negative things. I spent to much time talking about what I did not like at my current job. it is important that you are able to answer some tough questions in regards to how you would handle certain situations. Please come prepared with information about the company

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Leominster, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Leominster, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in February 2011.

First the interview was held in the back room and it was very steamy and stuffy. I answered 10 questions and the Operations Manager seemed very disinterested in me.

Interview Questions
    • Please sell this disposable cat litter tray?   View Answer

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

Initial Phone Screen performed by a Recruiter, to review resume and qualifications; knowledge of the company; if you align to company mission. Then 30-60 minute phone interview with direct leader, followed by 5-10 hours of in person 1-1 interviews with multiple members of the organization. These cover situational and skill-set based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Many situational questions, nothing sneaky, just very detailed.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, had pre-discussed expectations and they were met but not exceeded.

Pet Products Manager Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at PetSmart.

The interview process is long and drawn out. It best to know someone in the company already to get hired into management. To come in as an associate is a lot easier. This company standard vary from store to store and overall as a company is broken.

none

Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in January 2014.

Interviews are a full day long. You are greeted in the lobby, which is nicely decorated, and parking in front is very easy. A recruiter escorts you to the interview room, where you are given an interview schedule. At least 5 interviewers are listed, and they are each given between 30 minutes and 60 minutes with you. You are given their titles so you can prepare questions.

The interviewers all ask questions that seem to be given to them (tell me about a time when...). Then, once those are out of the way, they ask more skill-based questions. The interviewers all have different job roles, so you get to ask questions about the department and company as a whole, and get a good variety of responses. You get time for lunch, and are shown to the cafe.

All of the interviewers are friendly and tell you a little about themselves. They all have varied interview styles, which seems on one hand authentic, but on the other hand like poor training. Some of them bring their dogs to the interview, which gives you a nice sense of the culture. Everyone is dressed casually (in jeans).

You are given a skills assessment. You are provided a topic and a bit of information, and given one hour (on a very poorly running pc) and asked to create a trainer's guide and participant guide on the topic. You never hear back on how you did.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to your experience with the Adobe Creative Suite.   View Answer
    I countered, and they came back splitting the difference (half of the increase I asked for).

Director of Real Estate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in January 2012.

A very organized company with excellent processes, everything was succinct, and professional. Interviewers were prepared and their positions were relevant to the position being interviewed for. The day was laid out, the time per interview were followed, and the followup after interviewing with the group was clearly communicated and there were no uncertainties with regard to how the next steps would take place.

Store Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2011.

Applied on-line and received a phone interview a few weeks with basic questions about past experience and management style, customer service. Was forwarded to the DM for the area for a 1:1 interview. Asked behavioral questions from a packet that were very similar in nature. Three questions into the interview the DM stopped the interview and said it wasn't going to work out and that I wasn't the right fit for this position. I've had over 13 years of experience in retail with managing a 6.5 million store. Looking back I really didn't want to work at PetSmart it just wasn't something I would enjoy doing I think he could tell I wasn't excited. One thing that I've learned you MUST be passionate about the company and position you are applying for. It is not worth it JUST to get a job. I have learned that for sure and will only apply to companies that I can see myself working for and have a TRUE passion in working for. Good luck to everyone!

Interview Questions
    • Using a metric, explain how you used this metric to determine a course of action to address a negative aspect within your store.   View Answers (2)

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!