PetSmart Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 24, 2014
339 interviews

2.3

Operations Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

Well i had a good experience with the interview process. The store manager was really fun and laid back and made you feel really comfortable about everything. Then i had to meet with another store manager a week later where she was the opposite of the first manager but still a great interview. Petsmart process for some takes really long and they lose good candidates because of the slow process. My process took maybe 2 to 3 weeks only because they really liked me and said they didn't want this process to be slow so they actually went in and did everything to get me in there. Overall, it was a good process and the people seem genuine. I start next week and hope it'll be a great job.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Unless you never worked with pets a question for me was, "What would you do if a dog was injured or died while in the custody of petsmart."   View Answer
    I was offered 50k so i didn't negotiate because i thought it was a fair an offer and above the average of 47k.

Dog Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buckhead, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME APPLYING/INTERVIEWING HEREI arrived at the interview 10 minutes early. There was a little confusion the hiring manger had taken there lunch break. I waited about 15 minutes. The other manger decided to bring me in the office and interview me. He said he liked me and would lover to hire me and cross train me for register.The other hiring manger arrived ended up interviewing with hat manger as well. Got hired and asked to take a drug test the same day. Went and took it and i know I passed i dont drink or do drugs. I called back a few days later the manger said we will call you when were ready to come in. CALLED AGAIN same thing no direct answer DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME . apply at another pet smart

Part Time Cashier Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2011.

I applied online for a job at a new store. Within 2 weeks, I received a call back. I interviewed at a local store about 45 minutes away. There were two different managers who interviewed me one after the other. During the interview they also felt around to see how I would do with other job duties.

Interview Questions
    • Given that it was a few years ago, I don't remember the details, but the application and interview had standard questions.   Answer Question

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I interviewed online - interviewed at PetSmart.

Applied online and got a call a few weeks later. Had first interview with the store manager, which was very easy and relaxed. He told me that they recently had fire a few employees that were slacking and were looking for people who really cared about their jobs. He asked me to come in for an interview with the Pet Care manager the next day.

My second interview was a bit harder, but still pretty relaxed and I was asked to answer a few situational questions. He gave me the forms for the drug test at the end of the interview and basically if I pass the drug test they'll call me and give me the job.

Interview Questions
    • "Try to sell me all the supplies I'd need for a rabbit and give me some information on them."   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in December 2011.

Received a call for a next-day interview, went in did interview -no special questions, asked about my previous job history. Was told I would hear either way by the weekend. 2 weeks later, got a call back with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • All very standard questions: where have you previously worked? what did your job entail? do you have any pets at home?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I accepted the offer.

Animal Care Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online for multiple positions at my local PetSmart. It took about 6months for me to finally hear back (they were not hiring when I first applied). I went in for interview #1 with I believe to be the shift manager. He was very nice and kept the interview friendly and comfortable. He asked simple questions about myself, my past jon experience and my future goals. At the end, he informed me he was sending me on to step two which is a second interview with the store manager. About two days later I got a call for my second interview with the store manager. My store manager was not there but another manager from a new store elsewhere was available and she interviewed me. Similar questions as the first and by the end she offered me the job and explained the next step in the process along with sending me off for the pre-employment drug screening. I was officially offered a job a week later.

Interview Questions
    There really was no negotiation. On my online application I put down $9/hour as my starting pay request and they were more than happy to start me at $9.25. Each store is different but as long as you go in with an open mind, you'll do fine.

Petsmart Petshotel Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online and about 2 weeks later I was called at about 7:00pm at night to set up a in person interview for the following week. I was told it would be an interview with a specific person that was the store manager. When I arrived to the interview however the person I was told would be interviewing me was on vacation for the entire week, but apparently that didnt matter bc you have to interview with each manager in the store individually before getting to the store manager. I interviewed with 4 different managers that day and was told to come back the next day for another interview with a manager that wasnt working that day. (there were 7 managers at this location)

The 4 interviews the first day went really well and they ask all the basic questions, why you want the job, why you feel you are a good fit, ect. But I was also told that day that the job I applied for was not even open (in fact one of the managers I was interviewing with was in the position I had applied for) and I was also told to ask the manager on the 2nd day to set up an appointment for me with the store manager for the following week when she would be back along with the other managers that didn't work that week.

The 2nd day I showed up 15 mins early and the person I was supposed to be interviewing with apparently didnt think this was worth his time bc he asked me 3 questions (all of which I had already been asked by the other 4 managers the day before) and then told me to leave. I was in and out in 5 minutes. He was extremely rude and when I asked about the interview with the store manager he told me he was not setting up the interview, that I could go home and just wait for a phone call.
    Needless to say I still havent heard back and its been 2 weeks.

My understanding from the interviews was that I wasnt being interviewed for the position I had applied for but instead being interviewed for a basic floor position in the store and not in the Hotel. I was kind of offended when the managers kept asking me if I would consider taking a job at the cash register for minimum wage ( I have 5 years of high power management experience and I had traveled 4 hours each way to be at these interviews)

The interviews were completely disorganized, all of the managers share this red binder that they joked was the life or death binder. It had all of my information, as well as the questions they were supposed to be asking me but 4 of the 5 managers completely ignored that sheet of questions. You will get stuck waiting between interviews and you are lucky if any of the managers bothers to tell you how the interview process is going to work. ie how many people you will be interviewing with. Also the interviews are mostly done in the break room, so be prepared for the interview to get interrupted multiple time and try not to get distracted by all of the other people in the break room that are taking their break.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions just basic management questions. The difficult part is handling the disorganized situation of multiple interviews that no one has planned for.   Answer Question

PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview process was quick, easy and painless. Typical interview questions and the interviewer made sure you knew what you were actually getting into, which did not deter me. She seemed happy I was excited to learn more than the job description requires for advancement and change of pace. All in all, a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Are ok with getting doggie poop or other stuff on you? The dogs do sometimes step in their own mess and lovingly jump on you.   View Answers (2)

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

So I applied late night on 7-28-14 Got a call the next morning setting up an interview for 7/30/14 (today) and went from there. The interview process was really straightforward. I was told as well as from what is located on this site that it is normally a two step process, but they loved me and made an offer right then and there. I was asked questions such as why PetSmart, I simply explained that I have never had a bad experience shopping at PetSmart, and that I had always felt like part of the family. I wanted to extend that feeling towards others. I was also asked Why I had left my previous job, I stated that I had left my previous job because I had difficulties in managing my work schedule and my college schedule. I was honest and said I did not want to leave, but I couldn't take a major cut in hours.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was a role play question... (no not what your thinking dirty mind)

I was asked: Say I am a customer looking at dog leashes, and I look a little flustered how would you approach the situation?
        View Answer
    I started out by saying because of my previous experience in Customer Sales, Customer Service, and Cashier experience I feel like $10.75 Would be a good number. After a few minutes of negotiation I was offered $10.25

I however have 2 years of experience.

Pet Care Specialist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in June 2012.

They really didn't ask me much which worried me. They asked if had any pets and I told them what I had and about my dog who had passed away. Then they said they wanted me to do an interview with the Store Manager, which they sprung on me because he just happened to be there that day. He asked me more common questions like, why I wanted to work at PetSmart, but nothing to difficult. I kind of get the feeling they just want to hear that you really love animals and that you're a happy person so you talk nicely with customers.

Interview Questions
    • It was more awkward then difficult. I was ready to answer regular questions and they were asking about my pets.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiating

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!