PetSmart

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.3

Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Petsmart is looking for experience and a passion for pets. The first part is typical "why petsmart" type questions, and it is clear from leadership that animals should be a passion. This is also a positive because that means re team is filled associates that have the same views. All questions were situational. Tell me about a time you did this.... There were a lot, and many you could speak of the same scenario, however that felt like a trap.

4 interviews total over a few weeks. All with different field level managers. Nice experience, each went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Biggest weakness, how it would prevent you from succeeding in this position.   Answer Question
    First offer was sufficient, no negotiation needed.

Petcare Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

Process took about a 3 weeks. I applied at multiple locations and was called about two weeks later. First interview consisted of asking about prior experience with animals and if I was comfortable with them. Other questions were the usual situational interview Q's such as "tell me av time when you had to communicate with other workers to accomplish a goal or finish a project". The seconds interview was with the operations manager whereas the first interview was with store manager. Second interview consisted of going over availability as well as willingness to work across departments if needed as well as to practice approaching the customers. I was offered the job that day after completion of a drug test.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation possible as PetSmart starts almost everybody off at mid 7-8 an hour.

Industrial Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in December 2014.

I applied online and a week had passed before I received a phone call from a Sr. Recruiter. He explained that they were seeking a industrial engineer who specifically possessed "Soft Skills" and were not as concern for technical skills. Me and the recruiter hit it off from the beginning and had about a 40 minute conversation over the phone. He told me that if they wish to pursue further they would schedule a phone interview with a hiring manager and then a site visit. I had a pretty good feeling that I would be moved into the next stage.

Almost two weeks had gone by before a representative from PetSmart reached out. They conveyed that a phone interview was not going to take place but rather an in-person interview. I scheduled the interview roughly a week later to prepare. I interviewed with 2 directors (one-on-one), and the team that I would be working with, if hired. It was cut into three sections each section being a 45 minute session. During the interviews, I wasn't asked any technical questions, every question seemed to revolve around "my fit" into the organization. PetSmart has an acronym that drives their core mission (CARE).

C-Connect- Building authentic relationships on a foundation of respect, trust, and integrity

A-Assist- Supporting one another to create a diverse and open environment

R-Recognize- Showing appreciation and acknowledging valuable contributions

E-Energize- Bringing enthusiasm to all we do

I would recommend structuring responses that highlight these qualities along with an application of the STAR approach.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any pets?

How do you go about building relationships?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Matteson, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart in December 2014.

Applied online at an different location, but when you apply they ask you if you would like to apply to any surrounding locations which I did. A couple of hours later I got a call back from a different location asking me to come in for an interview that Saturday. It was cool because the location was way closer to my home, right up the street actually. On Saturday I arrived at my interview 10 minutes early. I went up to the cashier and told her that I was there for an interview with the Salon Manager. She pointed me to the grooming area and told me the salon manager was in there. I walked into the salon and she was grooming a dog at the time. I told her that I was scheduled to interview with her and she looked at me like I wasnt suppose to even be there. She told me to walk around the store for a couple of minutes which I did. I could tell she was busy so I didnt mind waiting, but I could also tell that this was going to be a rushed interview. As we sat down she looked over my resume, asked me my age and asked my why did I want to be a bather and do I have any pets? She asked me alot of tell me about a time questions and asked me at my previous jobs was I in charge of selling, I told her Yes! She asked me to sell a pencil she was holding. She then asked me my age again, which I thought was weird cause she wasnt that much older than me ( Im 22 by the way). Then commented on how many jobs Ive had (Which was 7 in 4 years) I explained to her that 3 of those jobs were seasonal and the other times I was working two at the same time. She kind of brushed me off like I was lying or something. I knew then that I wouldnt be getting anywhere with this interview and I just wanted to go home at this point. She finally ended it and told me "Well I have some other people to interview today and if we decide to go with you we shall give you a call. You can always call up here to check on the status of your application" As I walked out I was thinking to myself how is she interviewing other people when this location didnt even have any postings that they were hiring...but ultimately, I never received a call back.

Facilities Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

PetSmart's interview process is quite arduous. You will interview with at least six individuals. PetSmart's interviewers are trained to discern how well the candidate will fit within the PetSmart culture; they will use behavioral questions regarding decision-making, accountability,ethics, personal growth, etc. It's a good idea to prepare so that you can supply personal examples in each of these areas. Be prepared to show your passion for pets.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for this question: If you had limited money available, would you prioritize preventive maintenance of break/fix?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

It is almost impossible to prepare for this interview! I applied online and I had to call them to get an interview. I went in and the interview was really difficult. a lot were typical questions but they ask you to give a lot of scenario answers. If you do not have experience retailing to people and currently own a dog you are not going to have any idea what to say in this interview. they picked out a random item in the store and asked me to try to sell it. I was told the interview went really well and I was scheduled to come in for my second one the next day. the second one went over more scenarios like how would you comfort a dog owner who is unsure to leave there pet there. he had me talk to the salon manager too. they want people who want to become groomers so sell how much you want to be a groomer. If you don't really love dogs this is not the job for you. they told me you will get pooped on, peed on, possibly bit, and will be soaking wet and covered in hair all the time. I was told they would review my first interview and I should get a call in two days. three days have passed and I still haven't got a call and this is the second petsmart that has done this to me. I thought I did really well in the interview and I have no idea why I didn't an offer. they really make you jump through hoops for a job that isn't really that great and doesn't pay that well. I honestly just wanted them to send me to the grooming school for free

Interview Questions
    • I'm unsure to leave my pet in the salon, tell me how you would comfort me   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

I arrived 15 minutes early and had to wait for one of the managers to come back to the store (apparently he had a late lunch break that day). When he arrived, we entered this very small room. He was very friendly and said he had called his saloon manager to join us to avoid having to get me to come back another day for a second interview. They were very laid back and made me feel super comfortable. Interview was very quick and took me about 15 minutes. They asked me questions related to sales as well as some to get to know me better, such as "describe the last time you learned something new". At the end, they just handed me the paper to take the drug test within the next 24 hs, I took the test and now I'm waiting for them to call me back.

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online, I got a call back the next day to set up an interview time. I went in the next day for my interview, the manager was very nice and understanding that this was my first interview ever. She asked lots of explain a time questions, she had me sell her a dog leash and other basic questions about myself. She said I would get a call back within a week. I never did. So finally I decided to call the store myself and see what the status was, then they told me they decided to go with someone who had more experience.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where completely disagreed with an business policy.   Answer Question

Pet Products Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

If you need a job in less than a month, this might not be the place for you. I applied multiple times at different locations and finally got a call back after about two months. Came in for an interview which was very laid back. I got a very good feel, but yet still hadn't heard anything after almost a week. I gave the store manager a call and she told me the position was not available because of restructuring. No sour feelings so I applied at a different location. Got an interview about a week later and behold the store manager I interviewed with worked there. Second interview with her presentation manager was a little more standard but still not difficult. Got an offer for 13$/hour next day (of course I was told they had a beyond urgent need so... ).

Interview Questions
    • Not really difficult as long as you're prepared. Role playing was the most difficult since I hate those scenarios.   Answer Question
    Might've been able to negotiate, but was offered 13$ on the spot and was tired of my job so I took it. Considering it's entry level, it's nit bad compared to what majority of companies pay.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in November 2014.

I applied online on 11/1 for a new store that was opening up. A few hrs later I got an email saying I passed the prescreening assessment. Then on 11/6 I got a call to set up an interview for 11/13. It was a fairly easy interview and took place in the dog training area. There was no "Describe a time when..." questions, but it was focused heavily on customer service. The whole interview took about 25min. On 11/18 I got the call asking if I was still interested, I have to complete the drug test within 24hr of the call and my starting pay is $8.50.