PetSmart

Updated Nov 16, 2014
Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.3

Pet Trainer Instructor Interview

I was interviewed by both managers and was asked about my background with dogs. One of the managers was very nice and gauged my personality while the other manager looked at very technical things. I arrived a few minutes early and it seemed to make a good impression.

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Applied online and got a call a few weeks later. Had first interview with the store manager, which was very easy and relaxed. He told me that they recently had fire a few employees that were slacking and were looking for people who really cared about their jobs. He asked me to come in for an interview with the Pet Care manager the next day.

My second interview was a bit harder, but still pretty relaxed and I was asked to answer a few situational questions. He gave me the forms for the drug test at the end of the interview and basically if I pass the drug test they'll call me and give me the job.

Interview Questions
    • "Try to sell me all the supplies I'd need for a rabbit and give me some information on them."   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

Well i had a good experience with the interview process. The store manager was really fun and laid back and made you feel really comfortable about everything. Then i had to meet with another store manager a week later where she was the opposite of the first manager but still a great interview. Petsmart process for some takes really long and they lose good candidates because of the slow process. My process took maybe 2 to 3 weeks only because they really liked me and said they didn't want this process to be slow so they actually went in and did everything to get me in there. Overall, it was a good process and the people seem genuine. I start next week and hope it'll be a great job.

Interview Questions
    • None really. Unless you never worked with pets a question for me was, "What would you do if a dog was injured or died while in the custody of petsmart."   View Answer
    I was offered 50k so i didn't negotiate because i thought it was a fair an offer and above the average of 47k.

PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart.

Interview process was quick, easy and painless. Typical interview questions and the interviewer made sure you knew what you were actually getting into, which did not deter me. She seemed happy I was excited to learn more than the job description requires for advancement and change of pace. All in all, a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • Are ok with getting doggie poop or other stuff on you? The dogs do sometimes step in their own mess and lovingly jump on you.   View Answers (2)

Petsmart Petshotel Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online and about 2 weeks later I was called at about 7:00pm at night to set up a in person interview for the following week. I was told it would be an interview with a specific person that was the store manager. When I arrived to the interview however the person I was told would be interviewing me was on vacation for the entire week, but apparently that didnt matter bc you have to interview with each manager in the store individually before getting to the store manager. I interviewed with 4 different managers that day and was told to come back the next day for another interview with a manager that wasnt working that day. (there were 7 managers at this location)

The 4 interviews the first day went really well and they ask all the basic questions, why you want the job, why you feel you are a good fit, ect. But I was also told that day that the job I applied for was not even open (in fact one of the managers I was interviewing with was in the position I had applied for) and I was also told to ask the manager on the 2nd day to set up an appointment for me with the store manager for the following week when she would be back along with the other managers that didn't work that week.

The 2nd day I showed up 15 mins early and the person I was supposed to be interviewing with apparently didnt think this was worth his time bc he asked me 3 questions (all of which I had already been asked by the other 4 managers the day before) and then told me to leave. I was in and out in 5 minutes. He was extremely rude and when I asked about the interview with the store manager he told me he was not setting up the interview, that I could go home and just wait for a phone call.
    Needless to say I still havent heard back and its been 2 weeks.

My understanding from the interviews was that I wasnt being interviewed for the position I had applied for but instead being interviewed for a basic floor position in the store and not in the Hotel. I was kind of offended when the managers kept asking me if I would consider taking a job at the cash register for minimum wage ( I have 5 years of high power management experience and I had traveled 4 hours each way to be at these interviews)

The interviews were completely disorganized, all of the managers share this red binder that they joked was the life or death binder. It had all of my information, as well as the questions they were supposed to be asking me but 4 of the 5 managers completely ignored that sheet of questions. You will get stuck waiting between interviews and you are lucky if any of the managers bothers to tell you how the interview process is going to work. ie how many people you will be interviewing with. Also the interviews are mostly done in the break room, so be prepared for the interview to get interrupted multiple time and try not to get distracted by all of the other people in the break room that are taking their break.

Interview Questions
    • no difficult questions just basic management questions. The difficult part is handling the disorganized situation of multiple interviews that no one has planned for.   Answer Question

Animal Care Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online for multiple positions at my local PetSmart. It took about 6months for me to finally hear back (they were not hiring when I first applied). I went in for interview #1 with I believe to be the shift manager. He was very nice and kept the interview friendly and comfortable. He asked simple questions about myself, my past jon experience and my future goals. At the end, he informed me he was sending me on to step two which is a second interview with the store manager. About two days later I got a call for my second interview with the store manager. My store manager was not there but another manager from a new store elsewhere was available and she interviewed me. Similar questions as the first and by the end she offered me the job and explained the next step in the process along with sending me off for the pre-employment drug screening. I was officially offered a job a week later.

Interview Questions
    There really was no negotiation. On my online application I put down $9/hour as my starting pay request and they were more than happy to start me at $9.25. Each store is different but as long as you go in with an open mind, you'll do fine.

Pet Care Specialist-Petshotel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in August 2014.

I applied online and got a call about two weeks later. Had an interview the next day which were basic interview questions like "tell me about yourself?" "What kind of breeds of dogs or animals are you not comfortable with?". Then got a call back a week later and again had an interview the next day but with the store manager. Same questions were asked and then they sent me to take drug test and scheduled when to come in for orientation process. Just be yourself, look nice, and just don't be stupid.

Interview Questions
    • Most were pretty simple and just common sense. "What would you do if a customer asked a question and you didn't know the answer?"   View Answer
    I put down 9/hr and that is what they gave me.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

Went in for interview, she asked basic interview questions. Gave me 24hours to take the drug test. Went and did drug test, then got called back in for orientation couple days later

Bather Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

I went in for my interview and they seemed to like me, but on the day of my second interview, one of the two interviewers was sick. The other one said it would be fine and proceeded anyway. I left thinking it went well. They said they'd call me back. On the day they said they'd call, they never did. So i called them. I was told to try on a different day. When I called on that day, they told me they were still reviewing applications, but they'd call me. Still waiting.

Interview Questions
    • One of the interviewers asked me to pretend her energy drink was a dog shampoo and try to sell it to her.   Answer Question

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

The interview was a bit of a joke - I told her I liked working with people and that I love animals. She showed me around the store and hired me. That specific manager, however, was not with PetSmart for much longer after I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • When being interviewed for my management position later on, I was asked how I would respond to a situation in which the customer was very upset about something and was making a scene in the middle of the store.   View Answer