PetSmart

Updated Jan 25, 2015
Updated Jan 25, 2015

2.3

Associate Interview

Be prepared for at least two interviews. THe manager is using a interview guide. They are supposed to get you to role play on the sales floor. Do not go in and say how much you like puppies and kittens, you will not get hired. They want people that can SELL they want people that like pets. They do not want pet fanatics that are going to criticize every policy. They are looking for knowledge and sales.

Interview Questions
    • Tell them how much you like to see the company make money and how much you like to help people find solutions for their pets. Tell them how you want to grow with the company   View Answer
    You are going to get what they can give. There is very little wiggle room. Upper management has to approve anything outside of guidelines and in the current PetSmart environment this will not happen. They wil simply make you an offer. Accept it or they will move on.

Support Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview with the Store Manager and District Manager. You apply online and may or may not get a call back. If you are sure that you are a fit for the position, go into the store and ask for the Op or Store manager, politely introduce yourself and what position you applied. Be confident, but not cocky, and make sure to tell them you just wanted to put a face to the name. It may take time for you to get the 1st interview, but if that happens a DM interview should take place within 1 to 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • That has been years ago. But typically they are looking for love of animals, people who do not call out sick, have great customer service skills and can multi task an assortment of tasks or problems without getting fustrated. Understand that this may vary by each store and their DM.   Answer Question
    I accepted the wage they offered

Professional Bather Interview

It was very easy i was in for about an hour talking. Questions are basic run of the mill questions. The application took the most time it was annoying.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodinville, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodinville, WA

interviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

Very pleasant and simple interview. Asked some questions about schooling, available hours, and some answers from the application. There were a few questions along the lines of "Describe a time..." involving difficult decisions, a time you didn't have an answer, and others. This was my first job interview, and I was offered the position on the spot. My manager said that her other managers trust her, so I must have made a good first impression. I just went in, explained why I wanted to work with animals and it went well. Just did the drug testing a few days ago and should head in for training soon.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you didn't have the answer to a question. Describe a time you had a new experience with a customer.   Answer Question
    Starting me off a little over minimum wage, paying $9.50 (minimum wage in WA is $9.32) and was told I will receive increases with time. This is my first job so it works for me.

Pet Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

Received a call on Friday asking me to come in on Monday for orientation. This is my second time being called in for their orientation. Typically, you're called in with a group of half a dozen or more applicants and you're brought into a little room with a number of chairs. You're handed print-outs of your most recent application and you're walked through the available positions by a couple of managers. Throughout the process you're given an opportunity to ask questions. They explained that multiple interviews are conducted before you can be hired. Applicants looking for short-term positions are weeded out. You must be able to speak English to make it through the hiring process (even in South Florida, where Spanish is the more commonly spoken language). Orientation, at least at this PetSmart location, is the first step of the hiring process. If they are interested in pursuing you further, you'll get a call within an allotted time-frame. If not, you get the picture.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, really. Orientation is more about going over the available positions and discussing their duties than anything.   Answer Question

Pet Care Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

The online application took about 45 minutes to complete, and I was contacted via phone to set up an in-person interview several days afterward. For the in-person interview I met with the Pet Care manager, who was very kind, casual and friendly. He asked me very normal interview questions (what days/times are you available, why do you want to work here, what do you know about our store, etc.) and we also talked at length about my many experiences working with animals. Overall it was a pleasant experience and I felt comfortable with all the questions I was asked.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked me if I had any allergies and if I was ok handling all the animals they carry in the store. He also showed me their back rooms and gave me a very good idea of what type of work I would be doing. I told him I was confident PetSmart would be a good fit for me, and he seemed to really listen and care about what I said.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, was immediately trained and started working the next day and was informed of all relevant policies and procedures.

Seasonal Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

I got a call two days after I applied online to come in for an interview the next day. During the interview the manager just asked me basic questions and then took me out to the floor to test my "selling ability". She handed me a product and asked me to read the instructions for it while she went to grab another associate. She has that associate pretend to be a customer and had me "sell" the product to her. She then told me I did well, took me back to the office and told me I had to go pass my drug test in the next 24 hours and I had the job if I did.

No negotiation.

Professional Bather Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

Easy one on one interview. However most of the questions were about up selling products which was confusing because the job I was applying for had no contact with the public.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me an expensive brand of dog food compared to a cheaper one.   Answer Question

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tustin, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in October 2014.

I applied Monday night, they called me early Tuesday morning for an interview that same day at 12-12:30 pm. I went in and the Pet Care Associate interviewed me, super easy questions like "do you have pets? why do you like pets so much? are there any animals you'd be uncomfortable handling?" and basic availability questions. I'm a full time college student but I have 4 open days so the Ops manager said she'd work with that. They told me they liked me a lot and they sent me over to go get a drug test. She said if I pass, which I should, then she's gonna call me for training. Took the drug test that same day, now I'm just waiting for her call! (It's only the day after and hasn't been 24 hours yet). Really nice people.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see in Petsmart that's better than our competitors like Petco?   View Answer
    No negotiation at all.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

I applied online, it took about a hour to complete the app. Then got a call about 2 weeks later asking if I could come in the very day for a interview. Rush up there had the interview with a manger, she asked basic questions and said she loved me and that i was hire just needed to have a 2nd interview with the store mangers. That interview went pretty fast he told me my starting wages and gave me the address to get the drug test done. The whole thing took about 4 weeks. I love working for Petsmart!

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here? If a pet parent needed a harness how would go about helping them?   View Answer
    He asked it $8 was okay, I didn't mind that amount at the time and said yes. easy going.