PetSmart Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.3

Pet Care Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

It really depends on the person giving the interview. Most of the time the store is in such need of employees the interview is poorly conducted due to emergency staffing issues. Questions concerning your ability to work with a team and follow rules are very important

Analyst Interview

Interview

Questions will behavioral-based. They will mostly be stated in the form,"Tell me about a time when…" They are looking for you to explain the situation, action, and result. The questions are around the company success factor behaviors and they are trying to assess if you will be both a good cultural fit as well as a good fit for the particular role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to do inspire a group of people around a common goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiating over salary. They say they give you their very best offer out of the gate so that you don't have to go through that process.

Cashier/Stocker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for a cashier position online and got an email saying I passed the pre-screening assessment right after. About two weeks later I got a call asking if I was still interested in the job and if I could come in for an interview. I scheduled an interview for a few days later. The interview was in the managers office and pretty stress free. The manager was very nice and understanding and she was very excited when I told her I previously volunteered at the humane society to help with the animals. I was asked simple general questions, like what I did at my previous jobs, and what I liked the most and least about them. I was asked if I was interested in working any other positions as well, and since I had previous stocking experience I said that was an option. After having a short conversation about what I'd be doing I was told I would get a call in the next few days. The store manager then went and got the stocking manager who came and told with me very brief about more of what Id be doing. He again told me Id be getting a call. Four days later I got a call around noon where I was offered the job and asked to come get a form and go take a drug test (urine test). Two days later I got a call saying I was hired and to come in to set up a schedule and get my uniform.
    They do a great job at working around college schedules and seem to really care about their employees. Overall It was a very simple process.

Interview Questions

• What did you do at your previous jobs?
      Are you familiar with the signs a dog shows? (aggression, in pain, scared, happy, etc)
      What was the thing you liked the most about your previous job and what was the thing you liked the least?

Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation because of my minimum experience, I start out at about fifty cent over minimum wage.

Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McKinney, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (McKinney, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

I arrived at my local petsmart for my interview at around 6pm and it was with the grooming salon manager. I was a little nervous but it went well and she was very nice and it was pretty simple easy questions like "why petsmart", "tell me about yourself" etc.
    They do warn you that is a fast pace job and not glamorous at all so if your not a BIG animal lover it's probably not for you. Once the interview was done she told me the store manager would call me in 1 to 2 weeks and he called me 3 days later saying he wanted me to come in for an interview with the next day. Everyone's nice and overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• Out of all the other positions in the store why bather?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None needed

PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

I was interviewed twice and both managers asked me the same basic questions: Why do you want to work here, what is your availability, are there any animals you aren't comfortable around.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Are there any animals you are uncomfortable working with?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Dog Bather Interview

Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (Topeka, KS) in January 2015.

Interview

I was called for an interview a couple days after i applied. When i got there, the manager had a dog leash around her waist along with her dog. We walked into a very small office, and she seemed very distracted by the dog and wasn't paying attention half of the time. She went to find the head manager so i could have my 2nd interview but he was too busy. She told me he would give me a call by the end of the week. He never did. I called back the next week asking what happened and she said he was still looking at the resumes and will give me a call by the end of the week (again). I never heard back from them.

EARLY MORNING STOCKER Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

I interviewed with the assistant manager and she asked me questions like do I have any pets am I a scared of any common pets people own or that they sale in the store.

Negotiation

none

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Petsmart is looking for experience and a passion for pets. The first part is typical "why petsmart" type questions, and it is clear from leadership that animals should be a passion. This is also a positive because that means re team is filled associates that have the same views. All questions were situational. Tell me about a time you did this.... There were a lot, and many you could speak of the same scenario, however that felt like a trap.

4 interviews total over a few weeks. All with different field level managers. Nice experience, each went out of their way to make me feel comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Biggest weakness, how it would prevent you from succeeding in this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

First offer was sufficient, no negotiation needed.

Petcare Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

Interview

Process took about a 3 weeks. I applied at multiple locations and was called about two weeks later. First interview consisted of asking about prior experience with animals and if I was comfortable with them. Other questions were the usual situational interview Q's such as "tell me av time when you had to communicate with other workers to accomplish a goal or finish a project". The seconds interview was with the operations manager whereas the first interview was with store manager. Second interview consisted of going over availability as well as willingness to work across departments if needed as well as to practice approaching the customers. I was offered the job that day after completion of a drug test.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation possible as PetSmart starts almost everybody off at mid 7-8 an hour.

Industrial Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart (Phoenix, AZ) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online and a week had passed before I received a phone call from a Sr. Recruiter. He explained that they were seeking a industrial engineer who specifically possessed "Soft Skills" and were not as concern for technical skills. Me and the recruiter hit it off from the beginning and had about a 40 minute conversation over the phone. He told me that if they wish to pursue further they would schedule a phone interview with a hiring manager and then a site visit. I had a pretty good feeling that I would be moved into the next stage.

Almost two weeks had gone by before a representative from PetSmart reached out. They conveyed that a phone interview was not going to take place but rather an in-person interview. I scheduled the interview roughly a week later to prepare. I interviewed with 2 directors (one-on-one), and the team that I would be working with, if hired. It was cut into three sections each section being a 45 minute session. During the interviews, I wasn't asked any technical questions, every question seemed to revolve around "my fit" into the organization. PetSmart has an acronym that drives their core mission (CARE).

C-Connect- Building authentic relationships on a foundation of respect, trust, and integrity

A-Assist- Supporting one another to create a diverse and open environment

R-Recognize- Showing appreciation and acknowledging valuable contributions

E-Energize- Bringing enthusiasm to all we do

I would recommend structuring responses that highlight these qualities along with an application of the STAR approach.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any pets?

How do you go about building relationships?

Answer Question