PetSmart Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

I put in my app online July 18, 2014. Turned in my resume in person July 19. My interview was July 22 I took my Drug test July 23rd. and was called back today July 24. The manager said she'd call me back within the hour to schedule a day where i could come in and do my W2 and Tax forms then i start my training. :)

Interview Questions
    • No Difficult questions. Asked about my work experience, what I'd do in certain situations. My interviewer was really cool. I didnt have to "sell" her anything. lol the interview was fun and fast. Lots of laughs!   Answer Question
    I didnt have to negotiate. They paid me exactly what i asked for. And i get a raise next month.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glen Allen, VA

I put my application in online July 18, 2014. Turn in my resume in person July 19. My interview was July 22 I took my Drug test July 23rd. and was called back today July 24. All i have to do now is go in and do my W2 and Tax forms then i start my training

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Just asked about previous work experience and what i'd do in certain situations. i wasn't asked to sell them anything. Interviewer was cool and funny. Lots of laughs   Answer Question
    i was paid exactly what i asked for. Plus i get a raise next month

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

I put in an application online and got a call about a week and a half later, the manager asked me to come in the next day for an interview. He had the Pet Care Specialist/Manager sit in. It was very laid back, pleasant, and simple. It was my first job, so we mainly talked about pets I've owned and taken care of, if I had problems with any animal, and if I minded cleaning habitats. I took my drug test that day, the manager was on vacation the next week so he told me to expect a call the week after. Early that week I got a call asking me to come in for orientation and to start training.

Interview Questions
    He gave me a salary and I agreed to it.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

So I applied late night on 7-28-14 Got a call the next morning setting up an interview for 7/30/14 (today) and went from there. The interview process was really straightforward. I was told as well as from what is located on this site that it is normally a two step process, but they loved me and made an offer right then and there. I was asked questions such as why PetSmart, I simply explained that I have never had a bad experience shopping at PetSmart, and that I had always felt like part of the family. I wanted to extend that feeling towards others. I was also asked Why I had left my previous job, I stated that I had left my previous job because I had difficulties in managing my work schedule and my college schedule. I was honest and said I did not want to leave, but I couldn't take a major cut in hours.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question I was asked was a role play question... (no not what your thinking dirty mind)

I was asked: Say I am a customer looking at dog leashes, and I look a little flustered how would you approach the situation?
        View Answer
    I started out by saying because of my previous experience in Customer Sales, Customer Service, and Cashier experience I feel like $10.75 Would be a good number. After a few minutes of negotiation I was offered $10.25

I however have 2 years of experience.

Dog Bather Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buckhead, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME APPLYING/INTERVIEWING HEREI arrived at the interview 10 minutes early. There was a little confusion the hiring manger had taken there lunch break. I waited about 15 minutes. The other manger decided to bring me in the office and interview me. He said he liked me and would lover to hire me and cross train me for register.The other hiring manger arrived ended up interviewing with hat manger as well. Got hired and asked to take a drug test the same day. Went and took it and i know I passed i dont drink or do drugs. I called back a few days later the manger said we will call you when were ready to come in. CALLED AGAIN same thing no direct answer DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME . apply at another pet smart

Bather Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

I had 2 interviews. The first was extremely casual, I talked to the manager of the pet salon about random things, she didn't really ask me any interview-like questions. The second interview was a typical interview. The two hiring managers talked with me and asked questions like "tell me about yourself", "describe a time when you..." etc. After the interview was over, the manager said she would be glad to hire me and then said i had 48 hours to complete a drug test. I did so. After a week had passed, I called PetSmart to make sure they got the results, and they said they hadn't. I called back again and the hiring managers weren't there, but the manager at the time said he would let them know I called. Needless to say, they never called me back despite the fact that I passed my drug test.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were in a hurry and a sales associate at the store helped you. What did you like about what the person did to help you?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tujunga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tujunga, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

Applied online and got a call back from the operations manager about two weeks later, went in that Friday and met with both the operations manger and store manager. Was a very easy interview (if that) both managers and I hit it off very good considering we share a love for animals. Was about 45 minutes in total including a couple scenario questions, work experience, and mainly just talking about our pets. I was offered the position on the spot and went in the same day for my drug test. If you sincerely love animals, you have nothing to worry about. If you're just there for a paycheck then look somewhere else.

Interview Questions
    • "how would you assist a customer that comes in with a rowdy puppy that is tearing up their shoes?"
      "how would you assist a customer that comes in determined to buy a muzzel for their dog that won't stop barking?"
        View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at PetSmart in July 2014.

I am in the process of applying for positions and the interview is scheduled for later this week. Most people use this site as a way to prepare for the process, so it is difficult to answer these questions before the process is completed.

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

Very easy interview. The managers were kind and friendly. They made me feel welcome. They asked about my previous jobs, my experience in retail and with animals. They asked me how I heard about the position and why I applied, and what makes me more qualified for the position.

I couldn't negotiate anything. They were only offering a minimum wage part-time job. They were not willing to hire me full-time or raise the pay, but I needed a job.

Any Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lubbock, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PetSmart.

You will be offered an interview based on the available openings and then based on how you score on your personality test. Only green flagged personality tests will get an interview. Usually that interview is the department manager then your second interview if you make it that far will be the store manager followed by a drug test and background check and then possibly an offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • none. very generic like every other retail interview you have had   Answer Question
    There is a set Pay Band for each job based on experience and it varies by store. You will be offered lower than the pay band and get minimal raises yearly .50 Max based on review which will never be in your favor because your manager will tell you that they cant rate you a 5/5 on any area because no one is ever perfect.