PetSmart Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.2

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at PetSmart in June 2015.

Interview

The interview was over the phone and it was difficult to get a vibe from the recruiter. In person interviews are much easier to connect with the interviewer. The recruiter was nice and kept thanking me for my answer which gave no indication that that was the correct answer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a complex issues that you were involved in and how did you manage through it?   1 Answer

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mansfield, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Mansfield, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

Called for an interview for the next day with the OP Manager and then was interviewed the next day by the Store Manager. Both were very friendly and seemed pleasant. Was asked typical questions like why do you want to work here and what hours are you available for. One or two questions about certain situations and what animal had you worked with previously.

Petsmart PetsHotel Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at PetSmart (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

They called me in for an interview for the following week. I went in for my first interview and they barley asked you any questions. They described what the job is like. Told me to come in for a second interview three days later, the second interview was a lot like the first one. Very simple questions (not very many either). The manager just described the job to me and got asked at the end of the interview if I wanted to work there. I accepted and went down the street for a drug test then had to wait for the results to come in to start working.

Lead Pet Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at PetSmart (San Marcos, TX).

Interview

Basic questions asked (teamwork, faced with difficult situation, etc...) and it was very relaxed and not too formal. Definitely eases the situation when being interviewed. It was a one on one interview with the operations manager and after he told me I was hired, I was introduced to the pet care manager who was cleaning the tanks and had a quick "get to know each other" interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you made a positive impact out of a challenging situation.   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? If I had previous pet care experience.   1 Answer

Administrative Type Role Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Man this place is backwards!! I know they have been going through a ton of chnages lately but the proffesionalism, enviorment and process is seriously lacking. First huge turn off was their interview space. They bring you upstairs to an area (I'm assuming HR DEPT) that looks like a preschool. The decor, colors and set up is NOT something you'd expect to see in a progressive company. THEN they put you in a teeney-tiny, windowless room. It reminded me of an interrogation room you'd see on TV. Cramped, small tacky furniture and horrible ventalation. It was so hot in my suit I thought I'd faint if I didnt turn on the tiny plastic fan provided off to the side. How they think this enviorment is condusive to meeting people and having a succesful interaction is beyond me! You feel trapped!! It's awful. The people are nice enough, no real thought provoking or new questions asked. Your basic old school variety "strength and weakness" type stuff. They have you meet with way too many people over an extended period of time. Seemed a bit much for the role. Overall a HUGE disapointment and something I definitley wasn't excited about which was too bad. They do great things for animals and thats what drew me to them in the first place.

Interview Questions

• Cant think of anything unique here- standard boring questions really   Answer Question

Wasn't excited about them I found out new key managment was leaving.

Pet Care Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Filled out an online application, never heard back to about 5 weeks later I called them an they gave me an interview the same day. Went in and interviewed with the HR manager and then the GM straight after. The GM gave me somthing like a second interview then he offered me a spot on the job if i passed the drug screen.

Interview Questions

• Any animals your are not comfortable with   1 Answer
    • Name a time where you had to work with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • what was a previous job you held like?   Answer Question
    • why petsmart? where do i see myself in the fall, or down the line?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about punctuality and dress code   Answer Question

Negotiation

He looked at my asking Pay which was 8.00, then looked at my current job pay which is higher and offered 8.50. I took it and was happy

Pet Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied 4/29/2015 and was called 5/14/15 for an interview that day. Questions were not difficult at all. The best interview i have had in a while. After the interview i was told i had to complete a drug test the next day.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Tucson, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

You sit down in front of a panel of people where they ask you what types of pets you have and to describe situations you've been in and explain how you handled them. After the interview they ask you to walk around the store where they will either decline you or give you paperwork for a drug test.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation when someone needed your help and how was it handled?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at PetSmart (Athens, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

First phone call came from Atlanta Store Manager, very nice man. Had phone interview. Then was called by Athens Store Manager. Met with store manager, also very friendly. Then was offered training at a location about an hour away for a different store. I then met with that store manager who was so nice and open. Then lastly had another phone call from yet another location to start as an assistant manager until I can be transferred to my desired location. Overall, the people working for this company are very nice and welcoming. I cannot wait to be part of the PetSmart family!

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a couple of weeks later. I had the first interview with a four person panel and it was pretty easy going. They told me they would let me know in the next few days if I was chosen for the job. I called them back three days later and they told me to come in for a second interview that same week. This interview was with two of the managers and less questions were asked. They asked if I had any further questions and told me to go take a drug test. The drug test took about a week and a half to get back to them and they called and told me I got the job. Went the next day with my ID and social security card and orientation was next. Very easy going and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• How would you manage a fast paced workplace? What about a slow paced one?   Answer Question
    • If you were working on stocking and a customer came and asked for help what would you do?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a time you dealt with a difficult customer and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • Tell us a time when you didn't understand something someone was telling you   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation but I do recommend you put an amount on your application because they start everyone at the same rate depending on your state. In Arizona it is $8.2t. Just be prepared to say why you deserve it if they ask. They didn't ask me but I got what I asked for on my application.