PetSmart

Relevance Date Difficulty

Bather - Promoted to Groomer In 6 Months Interview

Bather - Promoted to Groomer In 6 Months
Tyler, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in May 2010.

Interview Details – got phone call for interview within 1-2 weeks of applying online. Interviewed with salon manager & store director for about 2 hours. took the drug test a few days later. called back to sit and watch job-related videos - this took almost 8 hours ( I was told it would only be a couple of hours). A few days after that I got a phone call to start the job the following week.

Interview Question – if the vending machine gave you an extra soda, what would you do with it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – What negotiation? I was told at the interview how the job would go, got the job and rode the roller coaster until I learned the policies.

Bather Interview

Bather

I interviewed at PetSmart in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online got called about a week later. Then was interested by two people.First was the salon manager after that was the store manager. The store manager is the difficult person to impress.

Interview Question – They ask you to try to sell them something. Theyll hand you a product whatever it might be. Its a way to test your sales abilities   View Answer

Pet Care Associate Interview

Pet Care Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at PetSmart in November 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out applications repeatedly before I finally got a call (my manager said there were 26 applications on file...) The interview was private between me, the hiring manager and the store manager (but I know they'll sometimes choose to do group interviews instead). I wore a nice skirt and blouse. The overall vibe of the interview was professional but laid back. There weren't any difficult questions. The company requires a background check and drug test.

Interview Question – My hiring manager handed me a Sharpie and told me to sell it to her.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for $9/hr, accepted $8.25. I was told that $7.50 is the norm for new associates.

Aiken, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – Since moving to this area almost two years ago, I had previously gotten a bad impression of this PetSmart location. Cashiers openly use profanity, make fun of customers before they even walk out the door, or say almost nothing except for grumbling "Do you have a Pet Perks Card?". I figured that there were just a couple of bad apples, who would probably get fired or quit soon enough, and it could still be a decent place to work. I have previous experience at another pet store, other retail experience, and lengthy experience with dogs, snakes, and freshwater fish.

I applied multiple times for almost two years (while working at another store of a different company) and was finally called for an interview.

I was very disappointed. The store manager seemed as if he had just woken up from a nap. He was grouchy and appeared to be half-asleep. He clearly had not prepared for the interview at all. He asked me the same questions a couple of times - this appeared to lack of organization rather than some sort of technique. He basically criticized me for having a couple of short jobs in the past, despite me explaining that I had been a college student and my previous employers would not always work with my school schedule. I got the impression that was trying to "coast" through his day and get out of the place as soon as possible. I didn't feel as though he was genuinely enthusiastic about animals.

He said that they do second interviews, so if he didn't call me back the following week, I could go ahead and "pursue whatever other opportunities" I was looking into. He didn't call me. It was okay because I had no desire to work for him at that point.

Interview Questions

• How can you show customers, *without speaking*, that you are ready to give them good service?   Answer Question
  • When you left your previous jobs, did you leave on good terms with all of the employers?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Pet Care Specialist Interview

Pet Care Specialist

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – I went in for one interview, they offered me the job, got sent to take a drug test at the WRONG LOCATION. IT WAS SHUT DOWN. PHONE NUMBER DID NOT WORK. Made to be very difficult after getting sent to 4+ different hospital buildings and medical care facilities that would work with us. They offered me a review after 3 months for a possible raise which DID NOT HAPPEN AS EXPECTED.

Interview Question – The questions were very simple and straight-forward. Two of the girls interviewing were just going off of a paper and asking questions and just saying "okay" after I answered.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did negotiate. State your reasons why you are asking for more with evidence to support your request (I stepped in for employees when there was a difficult situation, I handled customer complaints in the absence of the department manager, etc)

Lauderhill, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in March 2014.

Interview Details – I signed up for the job on the website and they called me within a few days. The interview process occurred around tax season, so it took a little longer than usual (for me, it took about three weeks). The interview was set up in three parts. The first part was a group interview with the store manager. The next interview took place with the hiring manager. The last interview was an individual interview with the store manager. The group interview questions were pretty simple (ex. Why PetSmart?). The hiring manager wanted to know whether I'd be interested in cross-training into other areas (such as Pet Care) and whether I'd be comfortable handling crickets and fish. The last interview involved more details questions (like "How would handle a difficult customer?").

Interview Question – Tell me how you think your previous experience working in such a different field will apply to this job?   View Answer

Store Manager Interview

Store Manager
Brea, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart.

Interview Details – Basic hiring process. You will conduct at least two interviews. For this position you should expect to interview with the District Manager and possibly the HR representative for the area.

Interview Question – If you are used to interviewing for this type of position I would be surprised if any question comes as a surprise.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This was done over the phone and I was given and offer and discussed my position. After a short conversation I accepted the position.

Portland, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. Got called 2 days later for an interview. Interviewed the next day. I was hired on the spot. Took the drug test. Then went in 3 days later to do paperwork and start training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Cashier/Stocker/Customer Service Interview

Cashier/Stocker/Customer Service
Marysville, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2013.

Interview Details – Merely days after applying online, I was contacted by phone to come in for an interview. As I came in, I was asked to wait momentarily until the manager was done with a customer so that he could conduct the interview. I agreed and went to learn the layout a bit. He found me and the interview commenced with a simple question and answer phase. After that portion was concluded, he took me onto the sales floor and had me choose a section I was comfortable with and role-play that he was a customer in need and help him find something that was within the aisle. After the role-play finished, the interview was done and I was free to go. There was a small lag due to phine communication complications, but I called in to find that they had been trying to reach me and wanted to offer me the position. I went in to fill in the W4 information and get the paperwork for the drug screening. A few days later, I was back to start training.

Interview Question – Some of the hardest questions for me to answer are ones about either working with someone that I don't get along with or a company that I was fired from. It can be hard to speak down on someone without wanting to ruin the good perspective you want to give a potential employer.   Answer Question

PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist Interview

PetsHotel Pet Care Specialist
Westminster, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at PetSmart in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a phone call a few days later from the PetsHotel manager, set up an interview for the next day. The interview was incredibly simple and relaxed. He basically just verified all of the information I submitted in my application. He also asked about my schedule availability and was very interested in hearing about my past experience working with dogs. There is a second interview with the Petsmart store manager, who I haven't heard from yet (it's been over a week now - I called to follow up and she said she hasn't had time to schedule interviews yet). So, we'll see.